Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Dreams and relational/non relational self inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drystone

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All.

Are emotional blockages ‘processed’ through a kind of ‘relational self inquiry’ in dreams?

I was thinking that maybe dreams can only ‘release’ blockages in the nervous system if a person has developed the witness state? Just an idea.

For example, if my wife (a non-meditator) were to have a nightmare , would I be doing her a favour if I woke her up out of it? Would her dreams just be thoughts crashing into more thoughts?

Basically I am comparing dreaming to non-relational/ relational self inquiry.

This question has come arisen from my own experience of meditation and dream study, I just thought it could be an interesting conversation.
After meditating for two years and recording my dreams for the second year, I seemed to be able to process fear of death, dream by dream, I would start to realise I was about to die (in dream) and eventually accept the fact I was about to die, and was rewarded with the most amazing loving,heavenly, motherly sensations. Then my first OBEs started to happen.

I hope this makes sense! I’m not the most skilled writer!

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2023 :  02:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Drystone

I recorded my dreams for a few years in my thirties. I would usually mumble into a pocket recorder, and had a legal pad by my bed, to capture imagery, plot, and feeling. Later that day I would transcribe the dream into a computer file. This is what I learned from the experience.

Attention matters. The more you record, the more you remember, the better you become at making associations to your immediate life (a couple days past or future), or to any other issue you are currently facing.

The dreams that have gold, or golden light, pay particular attention to.

Recording dreams is more about your individual brain’s inclination to review certain places, images, feelings, or situations.

Recently I woke up to AYAM repeating in my head, feeling the buzz I get from that. In sleep we are in surrender, so I am sure yoga happens there, especially if the sleeper is yoga inclined.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2023 :  9:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, regarding your wife’s nightmares, my instinct would be to lay your hand on a shoulder or arm while gently reciting her name. This alone may soothe, and/or transition her gently to awareness.
Go to Top of Page

Drystone

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2023 :  09:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your input Dogboy!

The dreams that I take most from at the moment tend to be the lucid ones. Recently I became aware I was dreaming as I was being led by a man somewhere, I asked ‘are you leading me somewhere?’ He replied’yes, and no’ ….. he led me to a man, whose arm I grasped, I was amazed at how real it felt and looked. I moved up his arm and looked at his face, he was terrified/horrified at me. A voice in my head suggested that I squish his stupid head (it’s a dream after all, why not!?), but this stronger kinder side of me rose up and said ‘no, I don’t want to do that’ then I pulled him in and hugged him… then woke up to weirdly awesome sensations. This kind of dream for me is important, it showed me that my heart is beginning to overcome my ego.

Most of my spiritual experiences happen at night, I see now that there is no point defining an experience as ‘real’, as nothing is ‘locally real’. All experience is a valid experience.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2023 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice dream indeed. When exploring meaning to dreams, first consider any character you meet might be yourself, and conversation under those circumstances might be self inquiry. You may decide it is not you, but know the mind could portray you in other skins.

quote:
All experience is a valid experience.

…and experiences and experience leads to a confident inner guru.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000