Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mental state not being consistent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

confusedShiva

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  8:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I've been practicing Deep Meditation for about 10 years now. I do it once per day for 1-1.5 hrs. But my energy practices are not very consistent. But I feel all the necessary relaxation and comfort with DM alone and am happy with it. I've seen that I've started to feel lighter and extremely laid back after my DM session but I cannot hold on to it for very long.

Too much of talking, being with friends, family, watching movies, or just plain skipping meditation for 2 days will make my mind heavy in a weird way. Even the old normal feels heavy these days. It's not exactly heavy but I don't have exact words for it. One session and I feel like an unconscious sleep state for a little bit fast-forwarding through a lot of thoughts and I'll be back. It feels like I'm offloading a lot of "garbage".

I am not sure what's happening. Everyone external (including me) notice the change in my behavior. Can someone please help with what might be going on here? And any tips to avoid this state transitions.

Edited by - confusedShiva on Mar 06 2023 9:52:07 PM

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  07:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear CS,

Please confirm that you are doing the AYP practice of Deep Meditation? 1 hour to 1.5 hours is not the recommended timings for AYP Deep Meditation. Practicing AYP DM for such a long time will likely cause heaviness /fogginess in the mind and inability to focus.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  12:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ConfusedShiva,

I sounds like things are being cleared out from your subtle nervous system. This is what the practice is designed to do. The symptoms you are reporting are purification symptoms. If you find it uncomfortable, you can reduce your practice times and increase the amount of grounding you are doing. See this lesson for details on that:

Lesson 69 - Kundalini Symptoms, Imbalances and Remedies

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2023 :  3:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I agree with Christi: The symptoms you are reporting are the result of purification. After years of practice, your nervous system is clearer and more sensitive. You are becoming more aware of the effect of skipping the practice and/or the energy of different companies, activities, and environments.

Yoga is changing not only your body and mind, but it is changing how you interact with the world - and it is changing the world. You start to see how your outer world is the reflection of your inner world. You can't change one without changing the other. Eventually you might have to make some life choices to support your practice. For example, you might have to limit the time you spend with difficult people (chances are they will start to distance themselves, too), and look for friends with spiritual interests. Also, some of the people close to you might become interested in meditation, and you could share your spiritual knowledge and experience with them. And so on.

In my experience, random meditation practice is more likely to be associated with unpleasant symptoms. There is a purification process going on, and when we suddenly stop practices, the residue has nowhere to go. The natural cleaning process supported by meditation is stopped - for a day, or two, or a week... Then we meditate again, the purification starts again; then we stop practice, the purification slows down, residue accumulates - we feel heavy and stuck. A regular practice will give reliable results. You know what to do.

When it comes to practice, find a schedule that works for you and stick with it. Regular long sessions might be unsustainable with an active work and social life. Twice a day, 20-minute sessions of meditation work better than once a day. Try to do it at the same time, at the same place - let's say 6 am and 6 pm every day. You will feel how your body-mind automatically shift to a meditative state when it is time to meditate. Then the practice becomes much easier.

Good things are happening - and they bring changes.

The guru is in you.

Edited by - Blanche on Mar 08 2023 3:33:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

confusedShiva

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2023 :  4:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your replies. It was very insightful. I guess I'll just fine tune the practice times a little bit and keep going.

@SeySorciere, Yes. It is AYP deep meditation. You're right, it's not the recommended practice but I just tailored it to my daily schedule (which is once per day). I started out with 20 mins but then I kept adding 5 mins every year or two eventually reaching 1 hour over 10+ years.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2023 :  4:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ConfusedShiva,

Your symptoms could be caused by the long practice time for DM. If you look at the AYP Practice Chart here, you can see that anything beyond 20 mins in one session, is considered to be "aggressive". So, that could be one cause of your symptoms.

As Blanche mentions, if you can split your practice time up between the morning and the afternoon, it will make a lot of difference, as there will be time for the energies to stabilise between sittings. 20 mins, twice each day would be 40 mins in total each day for meditation.

Also, it sounds as if you do not have a balanced routine of spiritual practices. This could also be causing the symptoms you are experiencing. I would suggest adding a short Spinal Breathing practice onto the front of your meditation practice. This could help balance the energies between the higher and lower centres and also rectify any right-left imbalance that may have occurred. Adding a short asana sequence to the front of your practice sessions could also help to balance any wayward energies out, before you begin sitting practices.

These additions would give you a more well-rounded and balanced practice than the one you have at present.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

confusedShiva

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2023 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight Christi. I'll switch back to my original schedule 20 mins, twice a day along with SBP and give it a shot.

Your chart link looks off-limits to me (I'm not a AYP Plus member).
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2023 :  6:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ConfusedShiva,

The AYP practice chart is also on p347 of the "Advanced Yoga Practices: Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living book, Vol 2".

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000