Yoga and Relationships
 Parenthood and spiritual awakening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Niels Jacob

France
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2023 :  4:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I'm in a very deep questionning right now, on should I have a 2nd child or not. I already have a 7 month old daughter which goes by the name of Sidonie. What great moments I already spent with her, I never laughed smiled and danced so much! The other side of the coin is that my spare time slightly reduced. Reserving 2x20 minutes for the AYP practices on a daily basis has become a challenge.
I'm wondering what's effect (positive or negative) could parenthood have on one's spiritual path. Furthermore, having a 2nd child would reduce my spare time even more, that's why i'm questionning. What's your point of view ?
Bless, Niels

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2023 :  5:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Niels,

I would say go for it. If you and your partner want to have a second child, then it is a great thing to do. It is true that you would have less free time for a while, whilst your wife is pregnant, and when the new baby is still small. But that is only a stage which passes surprisingly fast. Eventually, your children will start playing together, and then you will actually have more free time, than you would if you only have one child. It is also great for children to have brothers and sisters.

So, it is a win-win for everyone.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Niels Jacob

France
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2023 :  6:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi, I love how you put this into such simple words, very pragmatic ;)
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Love, Niels
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2023 :  05:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Niels, This is an important question. I am a father of 3. It sounds like you love being a father. As you know parenting is a huge commitment in which you sacrifice your time (and sleep) for years. I started my formal practice of AYP after the kids were older so I may not be in a good position to advise. I do recall trying to meditate when my son was small. He would track me down in the house and plop down on my lap demanding attention. I finally carved out a few minutes by meditating in the car (leaving a few minutes early for work). I personally have found being a father one of the most significant/meaningful parts of my life and would encourage you to go for it. You will find time later to be more consistent. Parenting is a powerful spiritual teacher and there are so many benefits to be gained. It is truly a path of Karma yoga.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2023 :  10:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Niels,

I would also advice you to go for it. You will find is easy to teach children to respect the quietness of your meditation sittings. They may sit in your lap; lie down beside you but they will remain quiet.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Niels Jacob

France
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2023 :  7:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Interpaul, Sey and Christi for sharing your thoughts about it :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000