Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Perfectionism, busy schedule & surrender
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
224 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2023 :  09:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

I realize that I get uncomfortable when I'm about to miss a sitting practice. I try to balance everything that has to be done daily and tend to get stressed when the schedule gets full. And it does regularly. I I suppose it is counterproductive to what the sitting session is about. And since my temper gets stressed, the interactions with my family suffer - for example I try to pass on tasks to my wife so that I'm able to stick to my sitting practice schedule or get rude with my kids, pressing them to hurry. It probably is partly due to my inclination to perfectionism.

I read in the lessons that, with a busy schedule, the session time should be cut down appropriately. Might be just two minutes of meditation in between. It somehow doesn't feel right to me. Wouldn't it be wise as well to practice another branch of yoga instead? For the examples given above, karma yoga/service or acceptance/santosha/surrender to what is would be a good choice. The habit of sitting pracices wouldn't suffer too much and things would smooth out a bit.

What are your experiences?

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2023 :  5:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cato, I can relate to the struggles that come with perfectionism, although it hasn't specifically crept into my meditation practices in the way you describe. My family appreciates the importance of my practice and will accomodate when they can. I have accepted there are times when it just doesn't fit with everything going on and I may have to adjust times etc. I didn't come to AYP till my kids were older as twice daily 30-45 minutes is a lot of time for a householder with full job responsibilities. With respect to other branches of yoga, I don't think it is an either or issue. It does seem to me after 3 1/2 years of AYP these practices are unique in how they reform the neurophysiology of my body. Karma yoga/service etc is all about taking the benefits of this practice into the world. There is a certain amount of fake it till you make it with karma yoga for me. I imagine one who is feeling outpouring of divine love 24/7 will naturally ooze love from their being, the rest of us need to commit to the effort. Perfectionism can be harnassed in these pursuits as a tool to get stuff done. It can be hard to step back from these practices and accept this is more of a way of being than the pursuit of something. Perfectionism for me has always been about doing something to please the achetypal mother who is never pleased. I suspect self inquiry is the territory where one can release some of these deep seated identifications (when one's practice matures enough to tolerate that attention)
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2023 :  01:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dedication is very important to establishing a daily practice, and reaching the eventuality of an ecstatic body. Once conductivity and natural vajroli become active, you no longer have to “pursue the perfection” as you are able to “do less to get more”, where there is plenty to be had in a three minute meditation while you are riding a bus or waiting in traffic.

In the meantime, you should always do the morning practice fully, and if the afternoon practice gets short changed, by time, divided attention, or family/work obligations, it is okay for that day, one meditation at day, here and there, will not set you back in the larger scheme, and hardly worth the attitude souring your relationships with your loved ones. It is in those moments you practice karma yoga and loving intentions, and hopefully witness your thoughts and feelings before acting poorly.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
224 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy
It is in those moments you practice karma yoga and loving intentions, and hopefully witness your thoughts and feelings before acting poorly.

quote:
Originally posted by interpaul
Karma yoga/service etc is all about taking the benefits of this practice into the world. There is a certain amount of fake it till you make it with karma yoga for me. I imagine one who is feeling outpouring of divine love 24/7 will naturally ooze love from their being, the rest of us need to commit to the effort. Perfectionism can be harnassed in these pursuits as a tool to get stuff done. It can be hard to step back from these practices and accept this is more of a way of being than the pursuit of something. Perfectionism for me has always been about doing something to please the achetypal mother who is never pleased. I suspect self inquiry is the territory where one can release some of these deep seated identifications (when one's practice matures enough to tolerate that attention)

Thank you both. Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with balancing stuff . Karma yoga is a good option when time is short and I can relate to the statement, that there is some faking it till you make it involved.

Practicing twice daily is a balance act between dedication, perfectionism and letting go. It can be hard in everyday life. For me, witnessing thoughts is still a step ahead. Right now, it is more thinking about witnessing and recognizing a thought once in a while. It does not come naturally yet; I can see it is powerful when it does. Not identifying with your thoughts must be really transforming. I read the book of Byron Katie recently, it is impressing. I wondered if it was necessary to develop some state of witnessing first before you dive into the process described.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000