Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Hips opening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Niels Jacob

France
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2022 :  11:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello there,
My wife is a former classical dancer and showed me exercices to open the hips. This is definitely an another approach than the yogic one, but it clearly shows results. I can feel a lot of feminine energy flowing through my body and it keeps helping me for the more energetical practices. Anyone has experiences with that ?
Love, Niels

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2022 :  5:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Niels,

Yes, hip opening postures are very powerful and can cause a lot of prana to flow up through the body. On the AYP teacher training courses, we do a lot of hip-opening asanas, for this reason.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Niels Jacob

France
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2022 :  9:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Christi,
Since I never encounter hip opening in the main lessons, I wasn't sure if it were recommanded. CAre there other ways that I can engage myself into ? I know every asana will have its lot of benefits for meditation, but what would you recommand especially ? Niels
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2022 :  9:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Niels,

Yes, Yogani does not talk about asanas much in the main lessons. In lesson 71 he says that it is fine to go and find a yoga teacher and learn some asanas, and then include these before your sitting practices each day. In the lesson additions on the subscription site, he describes three asana sequences that people can use if they want to. The enhanced sequence is here:

Addition 383.1 - Enhanced AYP Asana Routine (Illustrated and Video)

In this podcast on YouTube, I talk a bit about hip openers, as well as other aspects of asana practice that have an effect on the subtle nervous system. I discuss warrior, butterfly (bhadrasana), victory pose (anjaneyasana) and reclining hero (supta virasana). There are many more asanas that work as hip openers, such as pigeon, upward-facing dog, three-legged dog and so on. Hip openers are so powerful, that I often limit the number of hip openers that I include in yoga asana classes.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Niels Jacob

France
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2022 :  6:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi for this piece of information. I will check your podcast. I've not reached the lesson 383 yet, so i will stay with my regular progression for the moment.
Cheer, Niels
Go to Top of Page

gwalkerland

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2023 :  05:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many yoga asana postures are similar to movements and positions in Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam and also Kalaripayattu, the oldest known global martial art (originating in S. India).
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - May 03 2023 :  10:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Yes, hip opening postures are very powerful and can cause a lot of prana to flow up through the body. On the AYP teacher training courses, we do a lot of hip-opening asanas, for this reason.

Hi Christi,

I didn't know hip-opening asanas are especially known for bringing the energy up. Are there other asanas sensitive practitioners should be aware of? I realized I'm quite sensitive to backbends for example.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - May 03 2023 :  10:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

Yes, you are right, backbends are also powerful. Inversions are as well, including semi-inversions. So, if someone is very sensitive to energy, then they should be careful with asanas like camel (ustrasana), crescent moon pose (anjaneyasana), wheel (chakrasana), bow (dhanurasana), headstand (shirshasana) and so on.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 04 2023 :  12:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neils, if your conductive body is stable, why NOT be a warrior on a daily basis? One Two Three
Go to Top of Page

Nancinudillo

Mexico
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2023 :  11:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nancinudillo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These types of exercises are very good, you are practically doing calisthenics
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000