Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meaning and Results of Samyama Sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2022 :  08:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

In the mode of sharing (especially for you, Interpaul) on this forum, below is my take on what the Samyama sutras currently mean to me in the results they have brought to my life. I say 'currently' because the meaning and perceived results have evolved over the years.

Love = Agape (a spontaneous outpouring of compassion - the Lake of Light pours itself out into the physical world using my body as a vessel. I introduce here the term "Lake of Light" as an analogy where we are all whirlpools in the lake of light)

Radiance = Transfiguration of the physical and mental into Light

Unity = a merging of my inner and outer world until "I" die and only reality is.

Healing = healing of all sentient beings

Inner Strength = for all sentient beings to face the challenges of this physical world

Abundance = Abundance of all the qualities of the other nine words

Inner Sensuality = the ability to see /hear/ smell/feel within

Wisdom = Understanding through direct seeing

Akasha,, Lightness of Air = development of Inner Space and becoming un-bounded by gravity; set free

"I" - thought, what am I? = Gaining insight into my true nature

I am not in anyway attached to these meanings and I expect that they will continue to evolve. Gentle reminder that during the practice itself, we are not to attach any meaning to the words.

I invite others to share their journey with Samymama

Sey

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2022 :  7:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey, Thanks for honoring me with engagement. I continue to see a gradual evolution in the meaning of my sutras. What is most meaningful in the last year is the ability to truly release the word in/from my head. I didn't realize how profound that simple mental task is and how fundamental it is to the practice. This truly is one of the most subtle of the practices and most profound. An area that requires letting go on a level which changes our relationship with our thinking mind.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  11:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I didn't realize how profound that simple mental task is and how fundamental it is to the practice. This truly is one of the most subtle of the practices and most profound. An area that requires letting go on a level which changes our relationship with our thinking mind.

Agree wholeheartedly. Simplicity and Surrender.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2023 :  11:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had imagined that the practice of samyama had refined as much as it had room to for me, only to discover - not so. I believe it was triggered by a recent post by someone (sorry can't recall who and I can't find the post) where Yogani's emphasis on resting your attention on the sutra for a split second. I started really paying attention to this, leading to gaining meaningful insight to the beauty of this practice. When I start the practice, I am already in empty clarity. Mind is still. Casting in a sutra causes a ripple in the mind that automatically wants to draw 'you' in i.e. Awareness is set into motion as mind; sucking Awareness into mind. A thought is sticky. Not easy to let go off it. The skill being learned, I believe, is to let mind move /do its thing without letting it drag Awareness with it. Awareness remains still and dissociated from the moving mind. Mind moves, 'you' remain... still.
In that way, 'you' learned to let life do its thing (perception & experience in constant flux) while you are still.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2023 :  10:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The skill being learned, I believe, is to let mind move /do its thing without letting it drag Awareness with it. Awareness remains still and dissociated from the moving mind. Mind moves, 'you' remain... still.
In that way, 'you' learned to let life do its thing (perception & experience in constant flux) while you are still.

Sey, unbelievable you put this into words, I seem to be here, now. I have been watching in DM how thoughts tip-toe in and out. Sometimes it is guru and others intent to distract from the mantra. I have learned to do nothing but return to the mantra. After all, thought is no thing.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2023 :  05:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How does this lead to the sutra manifesting in your life? Why do we call Samyama the purest form of prayer? I propose - a sutra is a single, short thought that you drop and pick up from the empty, still field of "things yet to be" (potentiality). It moves mind into life - one simple clear vibration that moves from Nothingness...becoming.. to Is-ness.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2023 :  5:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey, On a rational level I can't imagine it having any value at all. The practice however has opened me up to the subtle realm. In my prior explorations into self hypnosis I became familiar with my subconscious mind. I believe samyama functions from similar territory. If there is a space in which unmanifest becomes manifest, a territory of spirit, it is there.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2023 :  03:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If there is a space in which unmanifest becomes manifest, a territory of spirit, it is there.

This resonates, as does a sutra, swallowed in silence.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2023 :  09:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On a rational level, I agree with you, expect the nine words listed above have become a reality for me, un-deniably. I have also logically tried to attribute them to the other practices - SBP, DM etc?. But I can?t conclusively say - the sutras had nothing to do with it.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2024 :  07:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a "revelation" about samyama last night. Samyama is the practice that allows Inner Silence to permeate our daily life. Else, we would be sitting in the eighth chakra or even higher, well above our turbulent minds and this physical world and we would be un-touched by the world and its shenanigans. We may perceive this as "being spiritual" But that is only half of the equation, says Yogani. We need to bring it all back down to the physical world (the heart) and operate from here in an outpouring of divine love and service to others.
This realization came to me as I sat in the higher chakras yesterday, blissed out, and watching the swirling of mind.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2024 :  08:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There appears to be two ways to disentangle Awareness from mind - move above and gain higher clarity (although, I would argue you are still 'in Mind' there but just less turbulence and stickiness (less gravitational pull??)) or disentangle from wherever you are by releasing thoughts and attachment and judgement (state of dispassion)
I may be talking nonsense here (building wrong concepts).

Sey

Go to Top of Page

TensorTympani

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2024 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Sey, it's interesting to see your thoughts on the samyama practice, and it's also wonderful to see that a discussion on these topics can lead to a deepening (rather than a distraction from) the practice.

I actually have never thought much about the meaning of the sutras, except for "Akasha - Lightness of air". Already the fact that Yogani chose Akasha, rather than Inner Space, but at same time emphasized that we can translate sutras to our own language and that Inner Space would have been just as good, made this one stick out. Not to mention that this is also the sutra that we are invited to repeat for 5 minutes, with people reporting jumping, sensations of floating, and of course Yogani's teasing with levitation. So there seems to be a certain sense of importance and mystery that Yogani wanted to instill for this particular sutra.

I haven't thought much about the other sutras because I thought it would be make it even harder to let go of them immediately.

Currently I don't see any evidence that particular sutras have had specific effects in my life, or short term, such as floating sensations during the Akasha sutra. The samyama practice in general certainly makes the ability to act from and release into stillness feel more and more like a normal mode of operation rather than something that needs a lot of effort. But then I guess this ability could be also practiced with any type of thought, rather than just these particular sutras.

Regarding the specific meanings of the sutras, I find it plausible that subliminal messages or affirmations have some psychological effect, and that samyama is likely an effective way of getting these affirmations deep into the subconscious. Thus dropping positive affirmations into the subconscious mind twice a day might have some additional effect on top of just training the ourselves to act from and release into stillness.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2024 :  6:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Regarding the specific meanings of the sutras, I find it plausible that subliminal messages or affirmations have some psychological effect, and that samyama is likely an effective way of getting these affirmations deep into the subconscious. Thus dropping positive affirmations into the subconscious mind twice a day might have some additional effect on top of just training the ourselves to act from and release into stillness"

Tensor, As I noted in my response back in December I definitely experience samyama in this way. It is very similar to the release that comes with hypnosis, that is the willingness one places on surrendering to the process without any clinging. It is a subtle shift when one truly releases the sutra into stillness. This is why I've always felt this is one of the most subtle yet powerful practices as it can't be understood by dissecting it intellectually. It is nearly the exact opposite, surrender to the process without any control. I believe this is a process just like returning to the mantra in DM that shapes our very way of engaging in the world. We program our expectations of the outcomes with the pre-work of giving meaning to the sutra. I believe this is why Yogani cautions against doing any conscious processing of meaning during the releasing of the sutra.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2024 :  02:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Regarding the specific meanings of the sutras, I find it plausible that subliminal messages or affirmations have some psychological effect, and that samyama is likely an effective way of getting these affirmations deep into the subconscious.

This is what I believe, as well as being open to the expansion of felt silence in the very ritual itself.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000