Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 duality and unity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  7:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was just re-reading lesson 336. Yogani says
quote:
Enlightenment is the merging of energy with awareness.

Having pondered the AYP teachings for 3 years now it seems this blending of Shakti and Shiva, bliss and ecstasy is THE way. As any of you who have answered my questions over the years know,I still find this idea provokative, as I never came across this in my prior spiritual explorations. I reached out to a close friend who grew up in India.He was raised on the Upanishads and other scriptures. When I asked him if this idea of the merging of energy and awareness is a key feature of his understanding of enlightenment, he said children in India were told to do everything with "dhyana" but he was not at all familiar with the energetic component.

Is this because the path has been kept secret by Gurus or is it esoteric?

I also find it quite interesting the path towards unity (non duality) requires embracing the duality of bliss and the ecstatic.

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  7:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

The earliest references that I have seen to ecstasy, are in the early Buddhist texts, dating back to 500 BC. There are descriptions of states of samadhi, which include piti (rapture/ delight). Different kinds of rapture are described:

• Weak rapture: only causes the hairs on the skin to rise.

• Short rapture: evocates some thunder "from time to time".

• Going down rapture: explodes inside the body, like waves.

• Exalting rapture: makes the body jump to the sky.

• Fulfilling rapture: a huge flood of a mountain stream.

The Buddha described seven factors of enlightenment, one of which is samadhi and one of which is energy (virya).

Then, following the Buddhist period in India, came the Tantrik period, where the idea of kundalini, prana moving through energetic channels in the body, and the chakras, are more fully developed. We also see the development of the idea of the merging of Siva (pure consciousness/ bliss) and Shakti (energy/ ecstasy) developing over this time. The development of these ideas around the merging of ecstasy and bliss leading to enlightenment, really began in the 4th century CE in India, becoming more fully developed by the 10th and 11th centuries CE. Then followed a series of Muslim invasions of Northern India which brought an end to the Tantrik period in most of India, but the theory of kundalini, chakras, nadis, ecstasy etc. survived into the Hatha Yoga schools, Kriya Yoga schools and surviving Tantrik schools such as Mahayana Buddhism in Tibet, and have progressed in their development to the present day.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 18 2022 :  03:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Becoming receptive to energy flows has changed how I will approach my daily travels and my remaining years on Earth, in gratitude for the experience of this magnificent body full of loving intentions and ecstatic silence. We are all so fortunate that war and violence could not kill the knowledge of these yoga practices.

Edited by - Dogboy on May 18 2022 03:49:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - May 18 2022 :  5:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Thanks for the historical context. I am not questioning the origins of these practices just their penetrance into the global consciousness.

Dogboy, As always I appreciate your optimistic and gratitude rich response.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - May 18 2022 :  10:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am not questioning the origins of these practices just their penetrance into the global consciousness.

Hi Interpaul,

In terms of the penetrance into global consciousness, that has been slowed drastically through secrecy. Often people had to take initiation before being taught energetic practices, and had to take a vow of secrecy, even from their own husband or wife. So, not only did non-initiates not know the details of these practices, they did not even know that they existed. And that system of secrecy is still very much prevailing today in Asia and even in many Western countries.

People know of the Upanishads, because they can read them. So, that has created a view amongst the wider population, that spiritual practices are about the cultivation of peace and wisdom only, and not about an inner energetic transformation. This is slowly changing. A lot of the work of bringing the esoteric teachings to the light of day, is actually being done by Westerners now, and AYP is a prat of that process. Some might say it is leading the way. It is hard to think of any other organisation that is doing more?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  11:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, I do believe AYP is leading the way on this. Thank you for confirming this has been esoteric and secretive. Yogani alludes to that but I've always wondered, based on so many posts from individuals doing all sorts of energy work, how prevalent these practices are worldwide. In my fairly conventional life, this stuff is profound and unique and none of my friends have any knowledge of any of this stuff. I don't know that I would have found AYP had I not had a kundalini opening. They say the teacher is there when the student is ready. I'm ready and engaged. Thank you for carrying on this tradition.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000