Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yogic Soma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

d4rr3n

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2022 :  11:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I had what I believe to be a yogic soma experience, sweet taste in mouth and sweet smell in my nostrils. I was meditating one morning sitting on my bed and wasn't doing anything different from my usual meditation but noticed this sweet smell/taste for the first time. I got really sleepy and went back to sleep. When I woke up my breath stank of perfume. It lasted for probably four days and other people could even smell it off me. I had I would say a mild headache which lasted for two days.

Anyway this soma(if that is what it was) stopped flowing and I was just wondering if this soma needs time to fully replenish and if so how long?

I recall that legends of picking soma is connected with the moon so was thinking it might be governed by moon phase.

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  02:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too have moments of sweet fragrance that appear mostly on days of “high yoga content”. I believe it is amarita, though I cannot say with certainty, as ebbs and inconsistent in its appearance, even with a disciplined routine. I enjoy it when it’s present, knowing it is fickle, and out of my control of direct influence.
Go to Top of Page

d4rr3n

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too am very grateful for the experience, felt very soothing to be surrounded with this fragrance. I can't say however that I experienced any of the effects that are reported with taking soma. When one takes soma one should feel invigorated, acquire great strength, slow the ageing process, heal all injury's etc etc I can't say I can report any such benefits, yet at least.

Another possibility is that it is the result of a momentary increase in production of some type of pheromone or musk within the body.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  3:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi d4rr3n,

This does sound like part of the experience of the activation of soma/amrita. But, the whole process is more complex, and takes time to fully evolve. Part of the process involves the production of amrita at the crown, dripping down the outside of the skull like honey. The things that you have heard about increased invigoration, ecstasy, increased strength, rejuvenation, and states of bliss, are more often associated with this higher aspect of the production of amrita in the crown/ ajna/ bindu. The amrita is produced from soma, coming up into the head from lower down in the subtle nervous system.

As for how to encourage the process, see these lessons:

51 - Strange Gurglings in Pranayama

69.1 - Addition to Kundalini symptoms, imbalances, and remedies

133 - Nectar

137 - Getting Both Feet into Paradise

304 - Diet, Kundalini, and the Nectar Cycle

T62 - Orgasm, Vajroli and the Nectar Cycle

379 - Swallowing Air

See also, these two commentaries:

Amrita - The Divine Nectar

Amrita - The Nectar Cycle, Kechari Mudra, and Opening the Heart Centre

And this podcast

Christi
Go to Top of Page

d4rr3n

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  6:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thank you for those links, I shall read all of those over the next few days. Hopefully I will be able to establish if this follows a cycle or just random occurrence.

Go to Top of Page

norvalley

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  6:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by d4rr3n

I had what I believe to be a yogic soma experience, sweet taste in mouth and sweet smell in my nostrils. I was meditating one morning sitting on my bed and wasn't doing anything different from my usual meditation but noticed this sweet smell/taste for the first time. I got really sleepy and went back to sleep. When I woke up my breath stank of perfume. It lasted for probably four days and other people could even smell it off me. I had I would say a mild headache which lasted for two days.

Hey there
Seems to me your brain detoxed some synthetic aromas, which is a common toxin in today's environment. It travels quickly to the nervous tissue.
The deep relaxation in meditation can help release such toxins (nervous tissue is deep, and usually doesn't get the opportunity to detox, except in sleep).

The fact that you felt tired and went back to sleep, that your mouth had a notable smell and a headache, points in that direction.
Go to Top of Page

Yogix8

India
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2022 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"stank of perfume" is the exact way to describe it haha.
The Yoga scriptures mention this and is a very good sign on your progress in the path and more so on the purification of the body.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000