AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Impressions of Objects in the Mind
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2021 :  05:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am listening to a seminar by Ramana Maharshi. The question asked was:
How long should self-inquiry be practiced?

A: As long as there are impressions of objects in the mind….

I get confuse by such an answer. Does it mean that for Ramana (and other enlightened masters) they do not see the world, do not see objects at all?
Yesterday I read something similar from Nisargadatta - “ I do not see the world you see”
Do they only see clear light? How do they navigate this world then?

I have experienced moments when numbers mean absolutely nothing to me (for a minute or two). It is amusing but also distressing. And times when someone is talking and I am listening but the words do not register, they have no meaning. Other times when there is just an outpouring of liquid light.
But surely we cannot operate in this world in this manner.

Sey

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2021 :  12:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Who is seeing the world? Who is giving meaning to this world?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2021 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

Usually when we perceive something, there is the object that we perceive, there is the act of perceiving, and there is the subject, the one who perceives. So, this is duality, a subject/object relationship. If the witness is present, then there is no attachment, or identification, with the objects that arise in the mind, but it is still duality. There is still "who we are", the witness, and "what we perceive", as two fundamentally different things.

So, the next stage, is a merging of subject and object into a state of advaita, or non-duality. It is not so much that the objects disappear, but rather, that the subject does. And without the subject, there cannot be a subject/ object relationship.

It begins with an expansion of consciousness. A noticing that awareness is actually limitless, and that everything exists within it. So, we no longer see ourselves as being in the world, but rather that the world is in us. This is the beginning of the expansion beyond the witness and the dissolving of the subject/object relationship. The beginning of the process of advaita.

The mountain is still there. The river, the city, the starts and so on are all still there. But, they are no longer objects, as there is no longer any subject. Everything simply is, which is unity.

This is why Nisargadatta said that he did not see the same world that others see.

This process is described in the lessons here:

Lesson 333 - Dissolving the Witness in Unity

Lesson 350 - Practices for Moving Beyond the Witness Stage

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2021 :  07:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Christi.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2021 :  1:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

We can operate in this new reality, and even better than we have done it at a regular level of self-consciousness. As the sense of an inner and outer dissolves, objects, concepts, and the sense of a separate I start to become transparent. From within everything, a light shines forward, and the world is transfigured. Everything that was ordinary revels to be extraordinary.

The outpouring light that you mention is a mark of things to come.

Go to Top of Page

Presence Light

Algeria
26 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2021 :  6:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000