Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Healing others
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  10:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been feeling so much loving energy building inside of me as a result of my practices. I do have a sense this energy affects others around me beyond their experiencing a happier me. I am faced with a very sad circumstance with a loved one who is dying of cancer. As someone fully immersed in a Western medical tradition I have not spent much energy thinking about healing beyond the usual surgery/radiation/chemo/immunotherapy model. I am grateful and in awe of the major developments in the last few years which have allowed us to treat and cure many previously fatal diseases, yet there are a lot of people for whom these treatments have been inaffective. I have never been a believer in crystals and all the airy fairy new age mumbo jumbo, yet, AYP has opened my eyes and heart to other energetic dimensions. I do try to channel radiant energy thru my samyama practice but wonder if anyone has had any personal experience with using their cultivated pranic energy in a direct healing capacity thru meditation or hands on to affect healing outcomes.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2021 :  7:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul

Many years ago (decades, in fact) I remember once trying to help my mother with some pain in her leg. She had varicose veins, quite severe and painful. I was just 2 or 3 years into yoga practice then, and had not got beyond the ego. As I did an energetic massage on my mother's leg, the mindset was "me trying to heal" - a doing. An hour later I remember my mother saying that the pain had gone and she felt like a weight had been removed from her leg. But but my right leg (it was her right that I massaged) was feeling painful. I never repeated that massage and my mother still suffers from varicose veins in her right leg.

More recently, my husband has been complaining about a painful knee. It went on for a few months, some days better, some days worse. One day, a few weeks ago, as he was sitting next to me saying that he was feeling pain, I rested my hand on his knee. I felt a cold energy in there, which I held in awareness. The day after that his knee was better and it continued to get better. He has not complained about it since. I don't know if it had anything to do with having my hand rest on it. It might have been pure coincidence, it's perfectly possible that the knee was on the mend anyway. I'm not even curious to know if it was coincidence or not. The fact is "I" had nothing to do with it anyway. My husband did not make any connection between my touching his knee and the pain going away and I'm happy that the possibility has not crossed his mind. Never would I allow anyone to have any expectation of healing from me, as it's too easy for the healer to get drawn into a "doing" mindset. Even when the intentions are good, when the 'me' intervenes, the 'me' will suffer the consequences. Directing pranic energy is too much of a doing too, I would personally not feel safe manipulating energy with a healing intent. In other words, I think samyama is the only safe way to help others. Even this sounds wrong, because "help" sounds like a doing. So I'll rephrase: releasing into silence is the only safe way to treat wishes and healing intent.

My two cents.

Good to hear your practice is going well

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Nov 22 2021 7:46:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2021 :  9:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BlueRaincoat, Thank you for sharing your perspective. I have accepted Samyama as the safest and most resonant AYP option. I don't understand the judgement placed on "doing". In my day to day life doing is an important way I contribute to the world. If one was able to develop healing abilities why would that be "bad"?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2021 :  10:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing wrong with "doing". We talk about "stillness in action", right? It's the "ME doing" that's the problem when it comes to healing. The stillness has to be unfaltering, otherwise you can get into trouble.

For one thing, there seems to be a karma transfer when you attempt healing from a "me" place. Secondly, you don't really know what forces you're setting in motion when you pass energy to somebody else. With your yoga experience, you already know how complex and stubborn energy blockages can be. It can take years or decades to chip away at them in a way that doesn't make you uncomfortable. If you give a shot of energy to somebody, you might just be making things worse for them. I think there have been cases of shaktipat when the receivers were thrown into crisis lasting months or years. Passing on energy for healing purposes could be equally risky. I think spiritual healing is a complicated and controversial subject. My previous post was meant to give you a "be careful" answer.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Nov 26 2021 12:06:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2021 :  12:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used yoga techniques as an aid to heal from the effects of my prostatectomy eleven years ago, and for a chronic cervical spine condition (still incorporating neck rolls I learned in PT in my usual asana practice). Now with an ecstatic attention, and the ability to “be” in a particular locale within, it is apparent in this yogi the power of these practices to aid in self healing. I too share the concerns regarding the unknown consequences of directing this attention on others, especially family. Perhaps the best way to aid through yogic attention, not only to the frail but to humankind in general, is the outpouring of your love and service to their immediate needs.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2021 :  03:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blue raincoat, Thanks. You’ve given me a lot to think about.
Dogboy, Self healing is certainly a natural consequence of the practices for me. Separating my need to fix things,an ego based energy I suspect, from developing the capacity of outpouring of divine love seems the work ahead for me. Practical helping is something I haven’t lost sight of despite my lofty goals.
Go to Top of Page

Zaelithe

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2021 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting topic. I found Blue Raincoat’s response very thought provoking. Before I came to AYP I had studied for a while with a teacher who when asked about energy healing said “Don’t take on the mantle of a healer, it’s a trap!”. This surprised me, but it was explained that apart from unknowable Karmic issues, the main danger was in an ego trap - the more successful you might be in your healing, the more you would become wedded to the role by the opinions and needs of others. On reflection, I see the point although it goes against a natural desire to help wherever possible (I was in medically related work most of my life). Samyama now feels like the safe and right option for me and no one need ever know what I am doing .
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2021 :  02:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Zaelithe, Thank you for your take on this topic. Separate from the question of whether healing is really a thing, it does seem a bit selfish to not help others if one could. I fully appreciate the comments of your teacher and Blue Raincoat.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2021 :  12:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We are better able to help, Interpaul, when we know the potential pitfalls of our actions.
Nobody's saying "never attempt to heal others", just be realistic about the extent to which you can actually help and the risks to yourself and the person at the receiving end.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2021 :  5:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BlueRaincoat, I really appreciate your sharing on this topic. Although I am mostly grounded in a very mundane materialistic reality AYP has opened me up to more potential. Avoiding unnecessary risk is certainly something Yogani emphasizes in his teachings so I appreciate your practical advice.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2021 :  10:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000