Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is there a danger to chanting Mantras?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2021 :  09:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So Hello again !

I was listening to a vid by Ramana Maharshi and he was recounting a story of a woman who was repeating the gayatri mantra (my most adored mantra!). Anyway she apparently went on a mantra binge for about three hours in one sitting and lost her voice!! IT didnt return for a long time!

Apparently there is a danger to reciting certain powerful mantras too much? Is this correct?

Im a bit sad about it if this is true, cos i got so much out of repeating the Gayatri Mantra. ever since i heard this story, I havent chanted the mantra Gayatri

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2021 :  10:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond,

It could be possible to lose your voice from chanting mantras out loud too much. But then it could also be possible to lose your voice from talking too much, or from singing. I have heard that professional singers train their voices, so that they can sing for long periods of time without losing their voices.

Having said that, I have spent many hundreds of hours chanting mantras with people all over the world and I don't remember anyone losing their voice. It simply hasn't been an issue.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  05:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi

Thanks for your reply!

This is what i was referring to. Any comments, opinions or viewpoints? Ilove Gayatri mantra have only noticed great benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8r...l=WiseMystic
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  06:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear SD,

Everything is best done in moderation. If someone did lose their voice due to mantra chanting, it is probably an outliner case, the unusual rather than the usual. However, yes, some mantras are very powerful and one should self-pace chanting them as one would any other spiritual practice.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  08:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SparklingDiamond

Hi Christi

Thanks for your reply!

This is what i was referring to. Any comments, opinions or viewpoints? Ilove Gayatri mantra have only noticed great benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8r...l=WiseMystic

Hi SparklingDiamond,

In the video it sounds as if Jaggi is suggesting that this lady lost her voice because she was listening to the Gayatri mantra on a CD in a car.

It is very common in India for people to listen to mantras on CDs, with millions of people listening in this way every day. I have never heard of anyone losing their voice from doing this. This sounds to me like pure speculation on Jaggi's part.

As Sey mentioned, some mantras are powerful, but there is a big difference between listening to a mantra on a CD and singing along on the one hand, and using them on the level of thought in silent meditation.

So, do not be worried about chanting the Gayatri Mantra. It is a very beautiful mantra which I have listened to and chanted for many, many years with many thousands of other people. There is nothing at all to be concerned about.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  11:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Seysociere. I guess self pace is open to interpretation, until one experiences untoward effects from a specific practise one doesnt really know?

And Thank you also christi!
It definnitely seems a shame for me to give up the Gayatri mantra altogether. I do at times, tend to be a personality type that over does, then it dies off, then i re engage again in the practise with fervour, till the next lull ;-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000