Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Spine rigid like iron bar (in deep meditation)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogalearn

Tunisia
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2021 :  3:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogalearn's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Some adepts, both medieval and modern, describe a deep meditative state where they feel that their spine has become completely immobile and felt extremely rigid, like an iron bar. I presume that this happens in a certain type of samadhi, because the breathing also stops or becomes imperceptible (kevala kumbhaka).

There are very very few references to this experience, and most are oblique, meaning it's not clear whether the iron spine is an analogy or a real experience.

Have any of you
1. seen this in any published materials (book, journal, Web page)
2. experienced this yourself?

I'm very curious about this phenomenon but have can't find any info about it in books. I'll be vary glad if you provide some info, esp. book references.

Thank you in advance.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  12:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello yogalearn
quote:
Originally posted by yogalearn

Some adepts, both medieval and modern, describe a deep meditative state where they feel that their spine has become completely immobile and felt extremely rigid, like an iron bar.

This seems to be one of many kinds of scenery one encounters along the yoga path. Energy moving through the spine can trigger a variety of sensations. For some practitioners it might be a recurring experience at some stage of their practice, others may not experience anything like it at all.

Are you experiencing this in meditation?

There might be people here who will relate and may reply, but I wouldn't be very surprised if you don't get many answers.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  8:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Some adepts, both medieval and modern, describe a deep meditative state where they feel that their spine has become completely immobile and felt extremely rigid, like an iron bar. I presume that this happens in a certain type of samadhi, because the breathing also stops or becomes imperceptible (kevala kumbhaka).

I had a purification episode similar to this (more than five years ago) in DM where I had turned to stone. I knew I was capable of willfully breaking this “spell”, so completed the session without fear, or consequences.

Edit:wording

Edited by - Dogboy on Sep 05 2021 04:12:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2021 :  09:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogalearn,

This is a common experience in some states of samadhi. The flows of prana in the body will make the spine feel very straight and the body will be supported. I am afraid I do not know of any book references to this.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2021 :  06:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Yogalearn,

Happens to me very often. I never reported on it because I did not see it as a big deal - like Christi says it's just high prana flows. It happens more often in spinal breathing pranayama than in Deep Meditation but can there too

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Sep 06 2021 06:14:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogalearn

Tunisia
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2021 :  8:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogalearn's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your replies. I really appreciate it.
Wasn't expecting so many answers so soon. :-)

BlueRaincoat
"Are you experiencing this in meditation?"
Yes, but can't find any references in thousands of books. :-( They describe all kinds of stuff but not this one. That's why I'm very curious about it.

Dogboy
"I knew I was capable of willfully breaking this “spell”, so completed the session without fear, or consequences."
What is DM, it's not Daoist meditation, is it?
Yes, in this state you can stop it at will, unlike in some samadhis where you're frozen and can't do anything until comes to an end by itself.
Can you please describe your experience? The longer, more detailed, the better.

Christi
"This is a common experience in some states of samadhi."
There are many different samadhis you know, so it'a a debate but... this is not a samadhi, because you don't lose awareness or the sense of passage of time.
"The flows of prana in the body will make the spine feel very straight"
Yes, exactly.

SeySorciere
"It happens more often in spinal breathing pranayama than in Deep Meditation"
Yes, I also practice spinal breathing and this is how I have it.
Can you please describe your experience? The longer, more detailed, the better.

Note: Edited my moderator for formatting only.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2021 :  9:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
There are many different samadhis you know, so it'a a debate but... this is not a samadhi, because you don't lose awareness or the sense of passage of time.

Hi Yogalearn,

As you say, there are many types of samadhi. There are some states of samadhi in which awareness and the sense of the passage of time are still present. Sahaja samadhi for example.

But what you are experiencing is not necessarily a state of samadhi. It could be simply an energetic experience, as others have mentioned above.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

yogalearn

Tunisia
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2021 :  01:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogalearn's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Christi
"Sahaja samadhi for example."

Yes, you're right. But sahaja samadhi is not a good example, because it's the highest stage, that is, not for low level meditators like me.

Edited by - yogalearn on Sep 07 2021 06:11:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2021 :  06:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh dear... what more to say about that?
Your description "spine becomes rigid as an iron bar" is very apt. Kundalini moves up the central channel and your whole spinal column extends bone by bone and you have the impression of growing to great heights (even beyond what is physically possible). Eyes go strongly into sambhavi, tongue reaches for the roof of the mouth. There is a sense of alignment that spans through your bodies and respective realms. An electrical field is formed, radiating from the spine/central channel, which "bubble-wraps" you in alive, alert Stillness. You are Aware but not of the physical (unless you want to).
To "un-freeze", I wait to be released or I bend forward all the way to the floor in mahamudra (something I am totally un-able to do under normal circumstances). With forehead to the floor, there is a slow discharge/release.

Voila... I hope that satisfies.

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Sep 07 2021 06:40:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogalearn

Tunisia
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2021 :  6:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogalearn's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear SeySorciere,
Thank you very much for your detailed description. I appreciate it. It is interesting to compare experiences.

What I was talking about doesn't happen in kundalini ascent as you described. There's no shambhavi, or khechari either.

The "electrical field ... radiating from the spine/central channel, which "bubble-wraps" you in alive, alert Stillness" is also different.

Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2021 :  7:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogalearn

Dear Christi
"Sahaja samadhi for example."

Yes, you're right. But sahaja samadhi is not a good example, because it's the highest stage, that is, not for low level meditators like me.

Hi Yogalearn,

Even "low level" meditators can experience sahaja samadhi. I did 7-days after I was first taught to meditate.

There are no rules.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2021 :  06:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sey
Go to Top of Page

vishal.c99

India
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  08:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Your description "spine becomes rigid as an iron bar" is very apt. Kundalini moves up the central channel and your whole spinal column extends bone by bone and you have the impression of growing to great heights (even beyond what is physically possible). Eyes go strongly into sambhavi, tongue reaches for the roof of the mouth. There is a sense of alignment that spans through your bodies and respective realms. An electrical field is formed, radiating from the spine/central channel, which "bubble-wraps" you in alive, alert Stillness. You are Aware but not of the physical (unless you want to).
To "un-freeze", I wait to be released or I bend forward all the way to the floor in mahamudra (something I am totally un-able to do under normal circumstances). With forehead to the floor, there is a slow discharge/release.

Sey

Beautiful Sey, thank you for articulating
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2021 :  06:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Sey

A great description, Sey! I experience this often in DM or pranayama. I don’t think it is samyama, but in that position I have had samyama. I can stop it at will, but I always feel I should not come out too fast.

I think I recall reading about it in either Light on Yoga or Light on Pranayama, both by B. K. S. Iyengar.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000