Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Irritation in the lungs after spinal breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zamot

France
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2020 :  1:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hello,

I've been experiencing something strange from some time now while doing spinal breathing.
I'm feeling as, how to describe it.. a need to cough or a kinf of irritation in my lungs during the day.

I wasn't sure about it coming from my practice so I stopped pranayama for some days and it also stopped.

Now, after restarting the practice two days ago this sensation is back.

Any advise about it ? Is it too soon for me to do spinal breathing ?

My profile :
I started deep meditation in August. I steel struggle with my thinkings and maintaining my mental quiet. Pranayama brings me some little sensations as heat while sometime in meditation I feel tingling in the back.
Yesterday at night I felt a pressure more or less heavy in the middle of the front.

Can some one give me some advice ?

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2020 :  2:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Zamot

quote:
I've been experiencing something strange from some time now while doing spinal breathing.
I'm feeling as, how to describe it.. a need to cough or a kinf of irritation in my lungs during the day.

I wasn't sure about it coming from my practice so I stopped pranayama for some days and it also stopped.

My profile :
I started deep meditation in August. I steel struggle with my thinkings and maintaining my mental quiet. Pranayama brings me some little sensations as heat while sometime in meditation I feel tingling in the back.
Yesterday at night I felt a pressure more or less heavy in the middle of the front.

Assuming you have eliminated anything medical (Covid, cold, smoking, allergies) you can give SBP a few more attempts, stopping the practice whenever discomfort arises. Perhaps you have dislodged something via purification, and this will be temporary; perhaps it is an odd quirk of your particular body (I have not heard this symptom before). Explore carefully to determine the outcome or likely source. Heat, pressure, and tingling are typical in some, and are usually transitory; again, the indication to self pace is when you are experiencing discomfort (each of us has a different tolerance of this).

Along with discomfort, if you are feeling moody or lethargic in your daily life, that is also an indication to self pace until stability returns. Good luck and report back with your discoveries.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2021 :  01:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You should stop SBP only if this irritation is uncomfortable to the extent that it disrupts your daily life. Else keep going.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2021 :  07:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zamot
I started deep meditation in August. I steel struggle with my thinkings and maintaining my mental quiet.

Go easy about it. Your goal, when you practice mantra meditation, is not to "maintain mental quiet", but to easily pick up the mantra whenever you realise you are off it.

It is perfectly normal that thoughts come and go. Struggling against them is not what the practice is about.

It might be useful to re-read Lesson 13 from time to time, check that you are following the instructions.
quote:
If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently go back to it. This is all you have to do. Easily repeat the mantra silently inside. When you realize you are not thinking it, then easily come back to it. The goal is not to stay on it. The goal is to follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it.

Enjoy your practice

Go to Top of Page

Zamot

France
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Welcome Zamot

quote:

My profile :

Assuming you have eliminated anything medical (Covid, cold, smoking, allergies) you can give SBP a few more attempts, stopping the practice whenever discomfort arises. Perhaps you have dislodged something via purification, and this will be temporary; perhaps it is an odd quirk of your particular body (I have not heard this symptom before). Explore carefully to determine the outcome or likely source. Heat, pressure, and tingling are typical in some, and are usually transitory; again, the indication to self pace is when you are experiencing discomfort (each of us has a different tolerance of this).

Along with discomfort, if you are feeling moody or lethargic in your daily life, that is also an indication to self pace until stability returns. Good luck and report back with your discoveries.

Thank you for the replie

I'm continuing SBP, I've been feeling this irritation but very lightly this time.
The thing is I have noticed this discomfort several months ago so I was questionning its transitoriness and the effects on my lungs.

quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

You should stop SBP only if this irritation is uncomfortable to the extent that it disrupts your daily life. Else keep going.

Sey

Thank you.

I'm far from this hopefully

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

quote:
Originally posted by Zamot
I started deep meditation in August. I steel struggle with my thinkings and maintaining my mental quiet.

Go easy about it. Your goal, when you practice mantra meditation, is not to "maintain mental quiet", but to easily pick up the mantra whenever you realise you are off it.

It is perfectly normal that thoughts come and go. Struggling against them is not what the practice is about.

It might be useful to re-read Lesson 13 from time to time, check that you are following the instructions.
quote:
If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently go back to it. This is all you have to do. Easily repeat the mantra silently inside. When you realize you are not thinking it, then easily come back to it. The goal is not to stay on it. The goal is to follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it.

Enjoy your practice

Thank you.

In fact, the Q&R 195 echoed my case as I can repeat the mantra while being caught by my thoughts. I understood the way I meditate was inoperative. Then I start to understand what it's meant by "favouring the mantra", as "make it your prioritary thought".
I steel struggle to understand how to observe my thoughts, at least, at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  11:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

In fact, the Q&R 195 echoed my case as I can repeat the mantra while being caught by my thoughts. I understood the way I meditate was inoperative. Then I start to understand what it's meant by "favouring the mantra", as "make it your prioritary thought".
I steel struggle to understand how to observe my thoughts, at least, at the same time.

Hi Zamot,

There is no need to observe your thoughts in Deep Meditation once you have begun repeating the mantra. Thoughts will simply be there or not, just as the sound of a bird singing outside your window may be there, or not. If you notice that your attention is with something else, other than the mantra, then you bring it back to the mantra. This means that when you bring your attention back, most of your attention is with the mantra. Thoughts may still be happening and the bird may still be singing. That is O.K.

Christi

p.s. If French is your fist language and you want to get support in French, then there is a French language AYP support forum here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000