Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Oversensitivity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zaussi

Austria
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  4:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!
As this is to be my first post in the AYP Forum, i´d like to express my thankfulness to all of you who share their knowledge and make the world a somehow better place!

The reason i write this post is my oversensitivity concerning my meditation practice. I already read the already existing posts and lessons about oversensitivity, but they didn´t really apply to me.

I startet meditating with the AYP technique In march 2020 and did it twice a day for 20min. I just started to feel the bliss on the next day after my first meditation. After a week or so I added spinal breathing. It got more intense with every following meditation but it was perfectly fine. I´ve literally been high on the positive effects. I even noticed a loss of ego, as things I identified myself with started to fade away. After one month, the feeling got too intense. Although I´ve taken a rest for at least 20min after every meditation, I drifted away from daily life. I had problems speaking with other people and had trouble with a heavy energy blockage in my neck. I stopped meditating for more than half a year. During this time, my old habits started to confront me. Just as the first weeks of meditation have been very uplifting, stopping the routine led to many negative changes. I felt like crushing down and ending in a somehow depressing state. I felt really numb during this time. In autumn i started reflecting my meditation praxis in spring. I´ve been trying a little bit too hard in addition to being very sensitive.

Based on this assumption I revived my meditation routine at the end of october with one daily session of 10-15min. In addition to that, I added some stretching, asanas and changed my eating habits to a more healthy diet. Things went well, but very soon it started to get too intense, again. However, it was more easy to handle than in spring, maybe because of the better diet, the shorter meditation time and the lack of self applied pressure. As a consequence, I decreased the meditation time to 5min a day, but still it didn`t reduce the overload of energy. It felt like being on a constant level of highness/energy, not beeing capable of handling it. I took a break from the daily routine and came back to it after a few days. Until now, I do not meditate constantly. To be more precise, i meditate whenever I feel like it´s the right time, which leaves some breaks in my constant routine. Sometimes i take a break of two days, sometimes I meditate 7 days in a row. The effects got more gentle, but the uncontinuous routine is somehow disrupting. My goal is to get used to a daily routine that doesn´t get too intense after a few weeks.

To sum things up, I´m really sensitive when it comes to meditation. Even 5min of "I AM" daily will get too intense. If this is the case, I´m struggling to handle the load of energy in my head. This affects my life strongly, as I´m for example having a hard time to concentrate or interact with people.

Do you have any suggestions of how I might continue? I would be really grateful for any help!

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  07:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zaussi,

The advice given in AYP for people who are oversensitive to the mantra, is to first of all cut back on meditation time, which you have already done, and if that does not work, to switch temporarily to using the breath as an object of meditation instead.

This advice is given in lesson 367:

Lesson 367 - Suggestions for Over-Sensitive Meditators

"For those who are over-sensitive to mantra meditation, no matter how it is approached, it is suggested to use an object for meditation other than a mantra. There are certainly alternative ways to cultivate abiding inner silence in the nervous system. An ancient and reliable method of meditation used widely in the Buddhist system, and elsewhere, involves using the breath as object, rather than mantra.

We can meditate using our breath in the same way we meditate with mantra. The procedure is the same. Starting out, we sit with eyes closed and easily bring our attention to our breath. When we notice that our attention is no longer on our breath, we easily bring it back to the breath. If our attention and the breath have become refined, we come back to the breath at that refined level, just the way we would bring our attention back to a refined level of the mantra if that is where we are when we notice we are off the object of our meditation. And just as with mantra meditation, in breath meditation there can be thoughts or no thoughts with awareness of breath. We don't try and push thoughts out. We just easily favor the breath, no matter what else may be going on. So, the basic instructions for breath meditation are the same as the instructions for mantra meditation." [Yogani]

That lesson also discusses other aspects of being over-sensitive and other things that you may find useful.

See also the 12 lesson additions which accompany lesson 367 as they cover many aspects of working with over-sensitivity.

If you have not already stopped doing spinal breathing, then I would advise that you also stop this for the time being until you find a stable platform. This is also mentioned in lesson 367:

"If we have gone beyond learning deep meditation and are doing spinal breathing pranayama and additional practices without noticeable stabilizing effects, then we should eliminate these until we have found a stable meditation practice. This applies to any other practices we may be doing from any source, with the possible exception of a light set of asanas (postures) for limbering up before sitting. If not doing these already, do not add asanas (or anything) if symptoms of over-sensitivity to meditation are occurring. " [Yogani]

You may also want to review lesson 69 which covers the basics of self-pacing and using grounding practices, to make sure that you remain stable and that you are integrating the energy into your daily life.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  07:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zaussi,

Welcome to the forum! Your post suggests a lot of "bhakti" - spiritual devotion. This inspired desire lights a fire that can easily get too hot to handle. Another effective way to deal with oversensitivity is to make sure that you do not spend your day reading AYP lessons or other spiritual books, or listening to spiritual talks, etc. Do your practice, and then stay engaged in the rest of your life, be active, get some exercise, do things for other people, and so on. This too shall pass.
Best wishes on your path!
The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  08:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The rest period after a meditation session can be an opportunity to ground. Personally, I rest in Child’s Pose with my third eye on the floor, and surrender the energy and silence I have generated through the eye and into the ground. Often my perineum is automatically flexing in this surrender, and afterwards, stability in my being. Perhaps give that a try.
Go to Top of Page

TaiPi

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing that the solution to the main problem that you express is to share your spiritual feelings. I do it in little ways with almost all the people who know me but wish I'd do it more. This forum is just heaven for people like you and me.
Go to Top of Page

Zaussi

Austria
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2021 :  2:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks y´all for your kind advice. I´m currently doing breath meditation every third or fourth day and sit still or do the child pose afterwards. I`m experiencing way more stable effects then I used to, but still I have to figure out how to improve my practice. Maybe I should meditate every second day, let´s find out! I also like the idea of decreasing the amount of "spiritual input", like reading in books or the forum, thanks for the advice! What a pleasure to be able to ask those questions AND! get such nice advice!
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2021 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000