Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Giving from nothing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  2:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear all

Something in my heart tells me I need to learn how to give of myself more. I've been on a journey of isolation the last few years, and there still may be more of that ahead, but I've greatly withheld myself from others for various reasons.

I have a sense that there is nothing inside for me to give, and that I haven't yet received that key that would unlock my true generative power. Yet I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a paradoxical illusion, and that I really won't find that key until I just start giving anyways, even in the face of that gnawing sense of emptiness. Does this make sense?

I guess I'd like to hear anybody's thoughts on this. I'm all ears/eyes/heart.

KC

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
I have a sense that there is nothing inside for me to give, and that I haven't yet received that key that would unlock my true generative power. Yet I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a paradoxical illusion, and that I really won't find that key until I just start giving anyways, even in the face of that gnawing sense of emptiness.

Perhaps the best giving in these divisive and tumultuous times, to yourself and your fellow beings, is kindness and compassion in everyday interactions. When I fell angry, frustrated, or anxious with my failings, the simple act of gathering up these feelings in a breath and exhaling it away provides instant relief. A pleasant greeting connects you to others, and momentarily lightens whatever weighs them down. With smiles now hidden behind masks, we need make the extra effort to smile with our eyes. Kindness is always a good starting point and costs you nothing but effort.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  4:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a paradoxical illusion, and that I really won't find that key until I just start giving anyways, even in the face of that gnawing sense of emptiness

I think this suspicion is accurate. Whenever I feel less inclined to reach out, I often do it anyway and find, to my surprise, a better result than expected.

Sorting out why we are self isolating is important but often that forces us into our heads more. Kind of reminds me of the options of getting in a cold swimming pool. It usually is best to just jump in, shiver for a few seconds and then enjoy the pool.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2020 :  08:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by k.cherry

I have a sense that there is nothing inside for me to give, and that I haven't yet received that key that would unlock my true generative power. Yet I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a paradoxical illusion, and that I really won't find that key until I just start giving anyways, even in the face of that gnawing sense of emptiness. Does this make sense?

KC

It makes perfect sense: What we call “I”, this separate entity, is only an illusion. This does not mean that “I” does not exist, but that “I” is not what we tend to think it is.

There is nothing that we have apart from the world to give it to it. Each of us is everything, and we give ourselves to ourselves. This is the reason we are the first to benefit when we serve others. In the way to becoming aware of this, we may experience ourselves as a channel through each the gifts pour into this world. Some talk about being like a cup, a thin empty shell that holds the mystery of the world. Eventually, even that thin shell dissolves. We discover that we are limitless, that everything is in us, and we start to learn to live like that.

As the nervous system purifies with spiritual practices, the impulse to give becomes more evident, so this is a sign that you are heading in the right direction. We could think about this need to give, to be of service, as a way to renew ourselves. It is like the water flowing in the river, just to be replaces by new clearer fresher water. The more one gives, the more is to give.

The guru is in you!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2020 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche
Each of us is everything, and we give ourselves to ourselves.

Beautiful, isn't it?!
Go to Top of Page

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2020 :  5:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone Very helpful and encouraging.
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche
Each of us is everything, and we give ourselves to ourselves.

Aha! I like this. The wind blows from here to there because one place gives and another place receives, but it's all the same sky.

Hmmm, maybe it puts me more at ease to think of it in terms of softening the boundaries to allow for the natural flow of things. Maybe I'm too impatient with myself, and just being ready to give OR receive is enough for now. "Let what comes come. Let what goes go."

KC

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  12:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Pick someone you know and go and do the person a kindness, a giving from the heart not from the wallet. Kick-starting a conversation with someone and truly listening to him/her is a good one.

That's all there is to it.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sey.

-KC
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2020 :  07:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blue
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2020 :  07:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The wind blows from here to there because one place gives and another place receives, but it's all the same sky.

Hmmm, maybe it puts me more at ease to think of it in terms of softening the boundaries to allow for the natural flow of things. Maybe I'm too impatient with myself, and just being ready to give OR receive is enough for now. "Let what comes come. Let what goes go."

KC

Yes, “it is all the same sky.” Or as Yogani writes “there is nowhere to go” because we are everywhere, everything. There is nothing to want or to do. We are enough as we are, and we can allow as you say “the natural flow of things” – we can live with a yes attitude. We can simply say “yes” to what comes our way: pay attention to what shows up, give help when it is asked for, receive help when it is offered, listen, share, accept what comes our way without reactivity. Seva (service) comes online more and more as we grow up and wake up.

While mainstream culture teaches us that we are limited, and we have little and can give little, as we expand our sense of self to everything, we discover that the more we give, the more is to be given. It makes for an easier and more joyful life.

The guru is in you!

Edited by - Blanche on Oct 16 2020 07:05:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2020 :  09:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dear all

Something in my heart tells me I need to learn how to give of myself more. I've been on a journey of isolation the last few years, and there still may be more of that ahead, but I've greatly withheld myself from others for various reasons.

I guess I'd like to hear anybody's thoughts on this. I'm all ears/eyes/heart.

KC

Hi KC! Your words are so genuine... something inside pusing you to break out of the isolation you are in... and yet something is holding you back... and the mind going.. how do I get out of here, how do I give back... I can feel what you are feeling. The thing is giving doesn't have to be the way the mind thinks it has to be... that heart of yours is open, just not how your mind thinks it should be. The easiest way to give... a samyama prayer of healing/love to the universe and walking in gratitude with a knowing this moment is perfect as it is.. as soon as you can feel that.. your heart will flow and life will be about giving every moment.. even if your mind doesn't agree. 
Go to Top of Page

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2020 :  12:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, a loving prayer. Now this I can do. Thank you, Shanti

btw, your paintings are beautiful!

-KC
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2020 :  1:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Ah, a loving prayer. Now this I can do. Thank you, Shanti

btw, your paintings are beautiful!

-KC

Thank You!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2020 :  8:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2020 :  01:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti - so awesome that you dropped in.
I hope all is well with you.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2020 :  12:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Hi Shanti - so awesome that you dropped in.
I hope all is well with you.

Sey

Thank you my dear!!!
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  05:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti! Have you tried giving something to anyone before? Giving is a choice we all make, it's not easy to give yourself to others who might not deserve it but unless we try it first, we will never experience the gains or loss of doing it. So I say try it once, don't be afraid, we all walked at some point in our life where we are given a choice to act or not. We only have short lives, do all things you want so you can make fruitful memories along the path. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000