Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 3 months of AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbqmaster

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2020 :  6:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Thanks Yogani for keeping this site alive, and thanks so much Christi for putting up with my newbie questions. I have many more for you :)

It's been 3 months since I started regular dm, and it is the longest I've ever done such a practice with discipline. The changes that are happening are different than expected, and that's why I'd like to hopefully get some input.

I thought DM would lead to increased concentration, attention, kindness etc - and well there is some of that for sure, but also a different mental effect. At the level of reactions.

There is a sort of 'gap' or 'buffer zone' between something being brought to my attention (I stepped in a puddle), my processing it ("hey I just stepped in a puddle") and my reaction to it - this last one is the longest pause, where I seem to have gained a few options as to how to proceed.

Kind of hard to explain this, but this last pause or gap, between my understanding of an event, and my reaction to it, is very new and rewarding. I have chosen some unexpected ways out of marital fights, even ended some in giggles! Also gained insight into clients' minds by simply bypassing the contents of what they were saying, and somehow sensing the intention behind the words. A week ago, somebody dropped a FRIDGE on a corner of my outdoor garden... I did freak out but it subsided very quickly, also there was some part of me that was watching and wondering how come I'm not freaking out more...

Which leads me to another point. An overall increase in novelty, a lot of stuff that's only supposed to happen rarely, is all happening at once. Plus I seem to be attracting psychos a bit more than usual.

This seemingly newfound functioning of my mind, is it connected to the Silence? It sure feels like what I've read, but I want to be sure I am not conditioning myself into it. The best description would be that of N. Maharaj, that my mind is a little more like honey and a little less watery but again I've read him so much I might be making it this way?

It is not all the time, just most of the day. And then not even every day, just most days. A sense of calm confidence, is best I can put it. Decisions flow easily. Whenever an impression starts, say road rage ("gah he just cut me off") immediately there is an opposing voice that calms it down ("you just did the same 5 mins ago to somebody else") and the whole wave is quickly neutralized.

There is also often a sense of 'surfing' just barely over the surface of the rising thoughts/impressions. I can choose to go with one (which quickly leads to a whole train of thought-emotion etc) or I can just watch them as they try to get my attention.

This state is not something that I've ever noticed during dm. It is something that caught my attention during daytime. For sure it wasn't there before starting AYP.

Is this the beginning of silence, or have I run into some corner?

Would this be related to the Witness?

Thanks in advance, any answers are greatly appreciated!

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2020 :  7:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bbq,

Congrats on the 3 months! I'm no expert on DM and its effects, but I do have some experience with that 'gap' you're talking about, particularly being on the receiving end of it. The most profoundly helpful people I've ever met have this mysterious quality that I've tried to pinpoint, and I think it's best described similarly to what you're saying about being able to bypass your client's words to see what they're really trying to express. Pair this with a gracious heart, and wow. The feeling of being 'seen' by another in this way is a truly special gift to receive. I really can't imagine how the emergence of that property in you from DM is anything but a good thing for you and others.

btw, your username makes me hungry. no fair!

-kc
Go to Top of Page

bbqmaster

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2020 :  10:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KC,

Thanks I am trying to get my wife to do it too... Thanks a lot for the kind words, the effects of this change are indeed nothing but beneficial so far. There are some raging emotions triggered by yoga, and let's not forget the ecstasy, and it all looks like it's happening under a thick glass surface, as it were. I see it quite well but it can't get to me. Also expectations seem to be curbed down, and an overall sense of glad acceptance is here much of the time ('come what may'). Very curious and interesting. I guess 3 more months of AYP might bring an answer :)

As for bbq... weekend's coming, what are you waiting for
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2020 :  02:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On any metro or transit, they keep reminding us to "mind the gap."
Ekhart on the other hand says, "Find the gap"
Enjoy the gap, my friend

Go to Top of Page

bbqmaster

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2020 :  10:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@jusmail LOL and thanks!
Go to Top of Page

dietarydongguan

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  04:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @bbqmaster! I'm happy that within 3 months, you have made some progress!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2020 :  09:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing, bbqmaster and KC... so happy for you guys!!!!
It's the little milestones like these that keep us going... and yes what you are experiencing is Inner silence creeping into your life outside of practice... like Yogani puts it here
The process will unfold in many ways. In time, bliss will predominate, and we will see the world as we have not before. 
Bliss will be seen bubbling up everywhere, constantly. 
A dirty pipe can't stay dirty forever if we are flushing it through with the pure water of consciousness every day.  

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 19 2020 10:06:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

bbqmaster

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2020 :  2:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for confirming that Shanti I have re-read the main lessons and Yogani does put it very well. It matches what I'm experiencing, but feels so... Surreal. So quick. I feel so privileged that it is happening to me!

Lately a mild ongoing gurgling has started in my lower dantien, throughout the day not just during practice.

Also I get very, very cold at night. I sleep with a sweater and 2 blankets on, while my wife says it's too hot to put anything on. I wake up at 5am craving yoga and freezing cold. A boiling hot bath barely makes it through the skin. Strangely, I am not shivering but I feel chills going up and down. I then sit for practice and immediately warm up

Just wanted to share some scenery that's all
Go to Top of Page

bbqmaster

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2020 :  2:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@DDG thank you! I can't believe how efficient these techniques are!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2020 :  08:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bbqmaster

Thanks a lot for confirming that Shanti I have re-read the main lessons and Yogani does put it very well. It matches what I'm experiencing, but feels so... Surreal. So quick. I feel so privileged that it is happening to me!

Lately a mild ongoing gurgling has started in my lower dantien, throughout the day not just during practice.

Also I get very, very cold at night. I sleep with a sweater and 2 blankets on, while my wife says it's too hot to put anything on. I wake up at 5am craving yoga and freezing cold. A boiling hot bath barely makes it through the skin. Strangely, I am not shivering but I feel chills going up and down. I then sit for practice and immediately warm up

Just wanted to share some scenery that's all

Well... so quick may not really be so quick.. maybe you have a few lifetimes head start
And I think you may already know these lessons..
but lesson#69 is good to keep in mind as you move along
http://www.aypsite.org/69.html
as is:
Lesson 51 - Strange Gurglings in Pranayama
https://www.aypsite.org/51.html
Good things are defintely happening
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  04:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @bbqmaster so glad to hear from new faces about their happy journey from this forum. I always wish that many people especially during these times will be benefited to the practice of yoga. We all need it. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000