Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Sambhavi Mudra Confusion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  10:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

So i read in the lesson on Sambhavi, to raise the eyes upwards, and to furrow the brow

Now I am unsure about the furrowing of the brow.

Does that mean raising the eyes upward, and then looking towards the centre of the forehead?

Furrowing of the brow means to frown? Omg sorry Im not understanding, but appreciate the help!!

Oh and when I do attempt the furrowing of the brow, it feels like tension/pressure not very comfortable sensation?

Edited by - SparklingDiamond on Jul 08 2020 10:30:50 AM

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond,

it is more the intention than an actual physical movement. The movement is very subtle, if at all.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond,

Yes, the eyes are brought up and together, towards ajna chakra in the centre of the brow. At the same time there is a slight forrowing of the brow, like when you frown, which may or may not be noticeable by others.

"There are two main components to sambhavi. First is a gentle furrowing of the brow, the point between the eyebrows. It is bringing the two eyebrows slightly toward the center. This is barely physical, mostly just an intention. It is only physical enough to allow feedback for a habit to form. Under normal circumstances it will not be visible to an outside observer. Maybe only a little in the beginning stage. With practice, you will find that this is really an internal movement reaching back into the center of your brain, pulling the center of your brain forward toward the point between the eyebrows. We begin this internal activity with the brow-furrowing impulse just described. It will evolve naturally after that, as ecstatic conductivity arises. You will feel it working inside your head.

The second component of sambhavi is a physical raising of the eyes toward the point where the furrowing is happening at the point between the eyebrows. The sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows is where the eyes will go. This will involve some raising and some centering of the eyes. We keep the eyes comfortably closed as we do it. " [Yogani]

From here

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2020 :  05:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi!
I have read your response a few times to really absorb it!

This morning, during practise, i was thinking that there is quite a bit to keep in our awareness

Slight flex of the anus, coupled with a slight updrawing of the lower belly, and then upward movement of the eyes towards the centre of the brow, and then a slight furrowing, not to mention aligning our attention/focus to tracing of the spinal nerve. Alot to do really! :-)

And the brain pulling forwards, that you mentioned. I have felt that before. its a rather interesting sensation, but i didnt realize it was the brain, but now it makes sense. do u think this is directly the result of the furrowing of the brow, or the upward turn of the eyes towards Ajna?

Thank you so much again for clearing this up for me, and being a part of my growth and progress

M.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2020 :  07:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond,

It is true that there is a lot going on by the time you are integrating sambhavi mudra, uddhiyana bandha and mulabandha into your practices. But don't forget, these things are all added one at a time and a new practice is not added on until you are comfortable and stable with your existing practices.

The "pull" on the centre of the brain, is caused by a connection forming between the front of the ajna chakra and the crown chakra (the singular point of the crown is in the centre of the head). You could aslo describe it as a connection between the pineal gland and the pituitary gland.

It is cause by both the raising of the eyes and the furrowing of the brow. It can also happen without these things being present. It can simply happen due to the rising of prana in the body, and the activation of ajna chakra. But the mudras and bandhas speed up the process of purification of the subtle body and cause some things to happen faster.

See lesson 65 for more on this subject:

Lesson 65 - The Pineal and Pituitary Glands

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000