Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Yoga-friendly exercise program
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  3:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

has anyone some long-term experience with the yoga-friendly exercise program outlined in Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas? I wonder if it is enough to keep you fit as single exercise program.

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  05:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato :)

I see that you didn't get a reply yet. I also personally didn't read that book by yogani by myself.

But I can tell you from my own experience that a good yoga routine can keep you fit well in the long term. I am practicing Surya Namaskar, side twist and headstand everyday for more than two years. I was doing lots of sports until that, like Tennis, weights and running.
I actually have to say that I now feel even healthier and fit now with my Yoga practice than I did back then. Maybe I cannot lift as much weight as I could before, but now my body is light and very strong from Asanas and Pranayama. I nearly never get out of breath, even if I would go for a run (which I like to do in the summer sometimes).
So I cannot tell you any detail regarding Yoganis Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas, but say from my own experience that a good asana practice can do all regarding fitness - and much more.

Edited by - lightandlove on Dec 21 2020 06:14:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  08:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lightandlove,

thanks for your reply. I also found that doing asanas keeps one reasonably fit. I did ashtanga yoga daily for several years. However, I have some history of struggeling with overload symptoms and ashtanga seems to work strongly on the energetic side. So I decided to leave it out and now miss the physical fitness part of the routine. The "yoga-friendly exercise program outlined in Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas" is a workout-only routine with no asanas but isometric curls, squats, leg lift, push-ups and so on. It is an easy set-up that can be done in about 5-10 minutes. The question was whether somebody got some long-term experience with it regarding fitness.

If I could choose I would continue doing asanas to stay fit but it seems to stir up my energy too much. I found in the forum that Pilates might do the same job but leaves out the energetic side of doing asanas. So that might be an option.
Go to Top of Page

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  02:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

do you experience this with any kind of asana practice?

I'm interested, because for me personally, some gentle Asana can be very grounding as well. But I understand the discord regarding fitness then.

I also stopped ashtanga because it was too much for me. I found balance in hatha yoga. When I do surya namaskar (hatha yoga version), I stay in the each position for a prolonged time and comfortably, not at all forcing anything.

In Lesson 383.1 (which needs AYP Plus online, but is also in the second AYP book) there is a very nice asana routine where positions are held. I personally found staying in postures for a prolonged time more grounding and also physically helping compared to e.g. a full ashtanga practice.

Maybe it is a good idea to self pace with asana for a while and try the "yoga-friendly exercise program" or pilates and when things calmed down find a more gentle approach to asana practice.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  05:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lightandlove

Hi Cato,

do you experience this with any kind of asana practice?

I'm interested, because for me personally, some gentle Asana can be very grounding as well. But I understand the discord regarding fitness then.

I also stopped ashtanga because it was too much for me. I found balance in hatha yoga. When I do surya namaskar (hatha yoga version), I stay in the each position for a prolonged time and comfortably, not at all forcing anything.

In Lesson 383.1 (which needs AYP Plus online, but is also in the second AYP book) there is a very nice asana routine where positions are held. I personally found staying in postures for a prolonged time more grounding and also physically helping compared to e.g. a full ashtanga practice.

Lightandlove, that is interesting to hear and it's kind of what I'm looking for right now. I left out ashtanga half a year ago and replaced it with the same amount of automatic kriyas. Both were too much. It would be nice to find a gentle routine like the one you are talking about and the approach you mentioned is the one I have in mind - letting things calm down and then finding a gentle asana practice.

How did you find out the hatha routine you are practicing right now? I guess starting with a set of ashtanga asanas and staying in the postures for a prolonged time could be a first step. Or do you do the routine outlined in Lesson 383.1?
Go to Top of Page

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

I actually came to Yoga from a physical side and only after a while I came to pranayama and meditation. So I took many trainings where I learned ashtanga, later hatha yoga. Surya Namaskar in hatha yoga is a bit different to ashtanga sun salutation A/B, you can easily find it on google.
I changed my routine a lot over the years and came to the conclusion, that Surya Namaskar followed by Ardha Matsyendrasana and Sirshasana or Vipareeta Karani Mudra does everything my body needs. Depending on certain factors (or just simply if I feel like it), I often add one or another posture to it.
I personally go with Surya Namaskar as it has a energizing component to it. You may l find it too intense at the moment as well.

The routine in Lesson 383.1 has more asanas in it. It is a very nice hatha routine, where you go from posture to posture while relaxing in each for a certain time. I can definitely recommend it. Probably you know many of these postures from your ashtanga series already.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  2:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too left ashtunga behind, once ecstatic conductivity bloomed, and favor the yin and hatha yoga, also strongly lean towards restorative defaults and props. Sure, this approach doesn’t increase the heart rate much, but allowing myself to explore each pose in concert with today’s body, playing with minor adjustments, seeking out my full expression is what satisfies me most.

Also consider passing the sutra Radience in moments of high energy. Your samyama practice, the action of surrendering outwardly, can be a helpful tool. Also, asanas outside, barefoot on earth, grass, sand, with the intention of grounding should help.

I raise my heart rate with long “walks with purpose”, and if I feel particularly chipper I pick out a target in the distance, a stop sign, telephone pole, i.e., and sprint to it. I continue walking until my heart rate returns to normal before choosing another target.
Go to Top of Page

TaiPi

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  05:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, how long would you suggest to do Ashtanga in one session? I did it one time for 35 minutes and it caused me to overload. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2021 :  04:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TaiPi,

don't know if I understand your question correctly. Most practitioners conclude that ashtanga does not seem to fit very well with their AYP practice due to its energetic component. It may differ from person to person, but for me 35 minutes ashtanga daily were too much.
Go to Top of Page

TaiPi

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2021 :  02:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I'm just curious and since it's was mentioned here, I asked. But you're right, I find Ashtanga unfitting, and for me it's too much even when I did it one more time for only 20 mins.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4369 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2021 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Cato

Hi guys,

has anyone some long-term experience with the yoga-friendly exercise program outlined in Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas? I wonder if it is enough to keep you fit as single exercise program.

Hi Cato,

Yes, it is certainly enough to keep you fit if used on a daily basis. It can also be used in conjunction with other forms of exercise such as cycling, running and walking.

There is a video of the exercise program on the AYP Plus site here, being demonstrated by Devrim in Thailand.

Addition 80.2 - Video: Ten Minute Muscle Toning Exercises

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000