Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Jaw/Mouth question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

docshibby

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  12:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all-

I have question about my mouth and jaw during practice. I have been practicing ayp for a couple years and it has been going well. I realized recently that while I close my lips during my practice, my jaw is open and my teeth are apart. I have gently been trying to close it during practice, but this is causing a little bit of pressure and discomfort. I can feel a change in the flow. Should I continue to practice with my jaw gently closed or should I relax as deeply as possible and allow the jaw to be slack. I suspect my jaw opens by habit because of growing up breathing through my mouth.

Thanks for the advice.

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  5:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome again docshibby,

In my own practice my jaw sometimes parts; in times when purification was happening in my throat chakra, I had the desire to open my mouth wide for a while so I did. Things like this come and go, so if it is most comfortable and least distracting to have your jaw parted, then let it be and gently favor the mantra again.

Edited by - Dogboy on Apr 13 2020 5:52:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

docshibby

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  10:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Welcome again docshibby,

In my own practice my jaw sometimes parts; in times when purification was happening in my throat chakra, I had the desire to open my mouth wide for a while so I did. Things like this come and go, so if it is most comfortable and least distracting to have your jaw parted, then let it be and gently favor the mantra again.

Thanks for the response. I've been noticing that by closing my jaw, I seem to be opening something in either my throat passage or perhaps along the spinal column. Perhaps I'm getting closer to kechari. When one door closes, another opens.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  8:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Perhaps I'm getting closer to kechari. When one door closes, another opens.

Good point. Have you been practicing ketchari 2?
Go to Top of Page

docshibby

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  10:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Perhaps I'm getting closer to kechari. When one door closes, another opens.

Good point. Have you been practicing ketchari 2?

No, I am firmly in stage 1 still. I am still figuring out the demarcation between the soft and hard palates.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  8:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I toyed with Ketchari 2 on and off for a month (finger, no snipping) and then, surprise!, it just happened, like that open door you spoke of.
Go to Top of Page

docshibby

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2020 :  08:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I toyed with Ketchari 2 on and off for a month (finger, no snipping) and then, surprise!, it just happened, like that open door you spoke of.

I have recently been feeling the desire to start using my finger. I'll use your experience as inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

docshibby

USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 20 2020 :  11:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to circle back and share some anecdotal data for others. I have been keeping my jaw shut as much as possible during spinal breathing and dm. I have noticed a little difference during the process, but more interesting is that I have developed a bit of a rash since starting. It is pretty symmetrical and started behind my knees and on my forearms. It was a bit itchy at first but not terrible. When I spray hot water on the areas it is fairly ecstatic. The rash has spread to my armpits. From my research, this seems to be what is known as a kundalini rash from purification.

I can't solely attribute the change to closing the jaw during practice because I have also greatly increased my practices due to the lockdown/pandemic. In addition to having a regular afternoon practice (which was much harder during pre-pandemic), I have added a 26 minute yin qi gong set in the mid morning. My current practice is 5am asanas, spinal breathing and DM, 9am yin qi gong, 4pm spinal breathing and dm. I also read a fair amount of taoist literature.

I have been self-pacing and monitoring the rash. So far no troubles. Still working on Kechari 2, definitely getting closer, probably held back a bit by fear.
Go to Top of Page

tcpyoga12

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2020 :  04:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit tcpyoga12's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Leaving your teeth slightly apart is considered a natural resting position. I know this because I have temporomandibular joint disorder and I have looked it up many times.
Go to Top of Page

dietarydongguan

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2020 :  9:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaw is too small..
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2020 :  06:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same experience, whenever I have to open my jaw during my practice, I always feel like it's getting numb and discomfort.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000