Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Longer sittings in DM during social isolation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ramarastra

Chile
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey there,

I've read the lessons on self-pacing and also posts here on the forum about how powerful the twice a day 20 minutes meditations, I don't underestimate it.

But these days I find myself with a lot of time and not much contact (if any) with people, so I thought it'd be a good chance to do longer sittings and not worry about too much purification and lashing out on people.

I haven't added time to DM but I've been adding "silence witnessing" sessions after DM, is that alright?

That's another idea I had, to keep doing DM as usual but adding some silent hour-long meditations.

What are your thoughts on it?

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  12:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ramarastra,

Yes, there is something called "retreat mode" in AYP, where we can increase the number of practise sessions we sit each day, when we are in a position where we have no responsibilities or duties. With retreat mode, we can increase the number of sittings we do each day to 3 or 4, increasing gradually and reducing gradually at the end.

Three practices a day would typically be done with two in the morning, back-to-back, and one in the afternoon. Four sessions a day would be done with two in the morning, back-to-back, and two in the afternoon, back-to-back.

It is better to increase the number of sessions each day, rather than the duration of meditation. That way, you are less likely to experience overload.

If you are not used to doing solo retreats, it is best to start out gently, maybe with just one extra practice session per day, and see how it goes. It can be very powerful.

There is more on solo retreats on the AYP Plus site here:

Addition 387.3 - Solo Retreats

And in the AYP retreats book here:

Online streaming retreats book, Physical retreats book.

As for adding other practices, that would come under making modifications to the baseline system. We basically cannot predict what the results would be, so it would be your own experiment. See here:

Lesson 384 - Baseline Systems of Practice and Research on Modifications

I would strongly recommend sticking with the AYP practices only, if you are experimenting with solo retreats for the first time. They are tried and tested.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Ramarastra

Chile
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  9:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Christi!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000