Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 early DM practitioner here - things got crazy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tcpyoga12

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2020 :  3:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit tcpyoga12's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm not sure if this makes more sense in the Deep Meditation forum, but I'm a very green beginner so this feels appropriate.

I have a little bit of meditation experience. I have a ton of maha mantra chanting experience from my time with the Hare Krishnas many years ago. I've done some guided mindful meditations since then. All in all, not a ton of experience. No mantra experience besides audibly chanting hare krishna.

It might be worth mentioning that I'm an agnostic and a big skeptic. I approach spirituality in a somewhat scientific way - I'll try things and see how they work on me. So when this went down, I didn't know how to categorize it.

I've been reading the AYP book and started deep meditation last week. It's been going really well and I've enjoyed the meditation sessions. Saturday morning I woke up a little hungover and smoked some pot to push past the hangover. I knew I wasn't in an ideal state for DM but I thought it best to experiment and see how it went. Keep the routine, explore the practice.

Things started out normally but got super crazy intense. I felt a lot of heat and energy at the base of my spine and some in my groin, then flowing upward and like it was coming out of my head. Perception was difficult to describe. I felt some heat, like the sun was shining up and to the right of my head. I felt warm and tingly, and energy moving in different directions. It felt ****ing fabulous! I tried to hold on to the mantra but would get lost in how my perception and body were changing and feeling. I had the thought that my timer might have gotten turned off so I opened my eyes to check it and I was 35 seconds from the end! I laughed. I laughed a few other times, really hard. It was something else, I tell ya! After I sat for a while and processed it. Tears came a little. More laughing. I tried TRE (tension releasing exercises - tremoring) but couldn't do it well on my own. Gave up and laid down totally. I could summon the body feeling again. I let things flow and didn't do TRE, but let my body move in whatever ways felt good. It was like I was in a matrix of electricity and it was working out of my body. It felt like I could shoot lightning out my fingers after contorting a little and twisting it out. It felt so good! I know it won't always be like that and maybe that will never happen again, but whoooooeeeee, that was nuts. I could feel my whole spine vibrating and tingling. I had to rub my forehead between my eyes a bit when I was done. I could feel heat there.

Can someone help me put words to what happened here? It's something I have no experience with.

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2020 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a product of practice pure and simple may come and go and may never return there are many names for similar experiences and a wide spectrum of the feelings involved ,its rather nice and expansive and leads you to want more ,personally i would lay off the drugs and alcohol and do DM for a while and see where you go ,remembering theres no silver bullet in any practice ,faith,belief ,but yoganis road map may help facilitate change leading to a more holistic life and who knows what else .
Go to Top of Page

tcpyoga12

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  11:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit tcpyoga12's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam

a product of practice pure and simple may come and go and may never return there are many names for similar experiences and a wide spectrum of the feelings involved ,its rather nice and expansive and leads you to want more ,personally i would lay off the drugs and alcohol and do DM for a while and see where you go ,remembering theres no silver bullet in any practice ,faith,belief ,but yoganis road map may help facilitate change leading to a more holistic life and who knows what else .

Thank you for responding! I've been feeling a little adrift after that experience, which has not repeated at all. I can feel touches of it, but I'm trying to stick with the meditation and not chase the feelings.

You said there are many names for similar experiences - could you share some of those names with me?

I will try laying off drugs and alcohol for a bit to see where that takes me. I've already cut down quite a bit since starting DM.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  12:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tcpyoga12,

The experiences you had are typical kundalini symptoms. The laughing is often associated with the opening of the heart centre (anahata). It is nothing to worry about and is all a part of the process of spiritual awakening (grist for the mill). Most likely it will not happen again, but other things will. Or you may get similar experiences repeating for a while, before new things begin to happen.

I would say, simply carry on as you are (whilst cutting down on drugs and alcohol). If things become uncomfortable at all, then self-pace your practice as necessary.

See lesson 69 for more on how to do this:

Lesson 69 - Kundalini Symptoms, Imbalances and Remedies

Christi
Go to Top of Page

tcpyoga12

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  2:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit tcpyoga12's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Christi! I am reigning my practice in a little. After that experience I got a little ego about it and pushed forward with mulabandha and sambhavi exploration. Which, honestly, I'm not ready for yet. So hopefully going back down to just meditation or meditation + spinal breathing (starting slow) will help me out a little bit. I've also been experiencing some other kundalini symptoms, like irritability yesterday. So I'm going to take the intensity down a few notches and keep with a stable base of practice.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  3:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

tcpyoga12

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2020 :  10:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit tcpyoga12's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for the responses. I think I have a much better understanding of what was happening now after doing a bit more reading. I also understand that drugs and alcohol are not recommended for good reasons and will continue to cut down - which has been naturally occurring anyway. Lesson 29 has been helpful.

I did have another occurrence of the same feelings, though not during meditation. It happened a bit after my afternoon meditation. I could feel the spine tingle starting so I just accepted it and kind of leaned in to it. I'm actually glad it was separate from the meditation, because I don't want to have that goal during meditation. I want to just favor the mantra and explore that. As it was happening this time I had a little more awareness of myself and could step back and observe. What I described earlier as feeing "like I could shoot lightning out my fingers" was what I now think is spontaneous mudras. Afterwards I wrote quite a bit about the experience and had a number of realizations about various things. It was pretty great.

Is it accurate to say that kundalini is starting to do something in my body?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2020 :  3:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tcpyoga12,

Yes, these are all typical kundalini symptoms: The tingling in the spine, the irritability, the heat and energy at the base of the spine rising up through your body, the feeling of energy coming out of your fingertips etc.

Things are starting to move.

From now on it will begin to become an ecstatic dance, where you are working with prana, but also being moved by it. You will need to pay closer attention to self-pacing and grounding, as things can get unstable more quickly. So, be prepared to increase and decrease your practices as needed, possibly even day by day.

It is a very exciting journey to be on. Gradually ecstasy gives way to ecstatic bliss, and ecstatic bliss evolves into divine love and unity. It is a long road, so take it gently, one step at a time.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000