Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How to know when you're overdoing it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redbushlighter

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  4:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello people,

I practice pranayama and mantra meditation for 10 min and 20 min repectively, 2x a day. Sometimes, mostly on my second sit of the day, I will feel a bit loaded, as it were. Energetically. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I usually start wondering if it's a good idea to stop for the day.

I try not to stop even if I'm feeling a bit overloaded, cause I don't want to be reacting to an uncomfortability. I want to work through whatever is going on. I'm not sure if this is the right view however, because I can't tell if the overload feeling is purification or if it's a result of me overdoing things. I don't seem to be straining too hard, I just focus on the mantra and gently come back to it when I've drifted off.

How do you know when you've done enough meditation for the day? I can't seem to differentiate between purification and overload, as they both tend to be rather uncomfortable. I've always been a bit stubborn so I always just wanna work through the uncomfortable feeling, whether it be based in purification or too much practice.

Does this make sense? I'd love to hear everyones view on this. Advice is appreciated too.

Thanks all :-)

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2019 :  03:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Redbushlighter,

Basically, energetic overload is purification that is happening at such a speed that it feels uncomfortable. The advice given in AYP is that if your experiences from practice are uncomfortable or painful, then it is best to self-pace accordingly. This way, you will make the fastest progress possible, because you will be able to find a pace of practice for yourself that produces the most purification with the least discomfort. It will mean that you will be able to continue over the long-term without a lot of stops and starts in your practice, which is generally unhelpful for progress.

See here for more on self-pacing:

Kundalini symptoms, imbalances and remedies

Christi
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2019 :  5:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
personally my practice is very sensitive ,its knowing the signs of openings and overload ,being comfortable is the optimum way for progress ,friction from overload can be off putting and can lead to wanting a break or to stop ,i have found that once overload is detected then its best to reduce practice to a minimum even if its just sitting for a few minutes no mantra no pranayama ,this may only apply only when you know what openings or flow or whatever you wish to name it become apparent from this overload is gauged ,this state or baseline becomes the new normal without overload ,the flywheel only needs a nudge to keep it turning its the turning that matters not how fast, momentum is provided by continued practice but it doesnt have to be a hammering just a gentle tap ,symtoms for overload range from neck ache ,lethergy ,headache ,aggression ,blurring ,and many more ,openings or flow is a general feeling of well being ,patience ,love ,exspansion ,a desire for equanimity and a feeling of knowing with few peak exsperiences interlaced at times just to keep your attention ,purification and overload are so close they almost touch being between the two is a merry dance sometimes the disco lights are on and at times your left sitting on the side waiting for the next song because you dont like the tune best to be the DJ knowing which song is on next and relaxing inbetween spinning the discs ,yogananda quoted i believe "yoga should start and end in ease "buts that easy when your a master i suppose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000