Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 One-pointedness during deep meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2019 :  04:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am under the impression that many teachings out there advise practitioners at some point to try and maintain a steady focus on the object of meditation. The goal there is not not lose attention on the object (at all) until the practitioner can sustain his/her concentration for any peroid of time.

This very strong concentration is supposed to be a stepping stone to access higher states of conciousness during practises. I think buddhists term the stages they reach by unbroken concentration jhanas.

In AYP we effortlessly focus our mind on the mantra (the object) and when we lose it we simply come back to it. Losing the concentration on the object is even considered to be an essential part of the process (bringing silence up from within).

I need some clarification about how one-pointedness of the mind is attained in AYP. In my current experience I usually realise rather quickly when my mind has wandered off the mantra. For some time there is unbroken awareness of the mantra but eventually the mantra is lost.

Why do we not actively seek this constant awareness on an singular object in AYP?

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2019 :  11:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stille:

Deliberate concentration in meditation is not particularly useful if it does not become natural blissful and joyful concentration in daily living. To be natural, it will be effortless in both cause and effect. True concentration is not a muscle we develop, or even a mental habit. It is beyond the mind. It is a natural state of abiding inner silence (witness) we are effortlessly cultivating in deep meditation. Then we have it with us all the time as our sense of self. It is an unbounded field of awareness, pure bliss consciousness, that is very still, and the witness to all occurring in time and space. It is also focused like a laser beam when our attention is drawn to any particular object or task. There is great benevolent power in it, in us.

This lesson on yogic concentration might be helpful: https://www.aypsite.org/263.html

Can't really comment much on forms of meditation that encourage a lot of effort to achieve concentration. It never made much sense here. I am biased, of course.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2019 :  11:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what is the object we wish to focus on? how long do you wish to sustain this for and why ,the mind needs to be transcended not tamed,i believe DM does require effort not much but enough a gentle nudge although a willing force ,during practice many things may happen or not ,higher states are peak experiences a taster of the ocean we wish to bathe in, we dip a toe with DM , sometimes after friction appears maybe more than a toe has been submerged ,i believe through practices one pointedness is achieved but outside of practice these fruits bear witness in the world of day to day life ,the object of meditation then becomes apparent every moment is one pointed and lived like a beam of light that can provide illumination to any situation .
Go to Top of Page

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  06:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your answers! They made me see the subject from a new perspective. Integration in every moment of life seems to be the key to it all.

I am just always impressed (and sometimes confused) by the different methods people use and the results produced by them. I remember very vivdly the states of conciousness I experienced when I went on a goenka vipassana retreat. The high amount of strain and willpower that was needed to keep practising and sometimes those huge let downs following exalted states of mind. Compared to that, Yoga is a much gentler and probably more effective approach.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  07:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All the rivers ultimately join the sea.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000