Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Time management
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2019 :  4:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just read yoganis lesson about time management http://www.aypsite.org/209.html.

My routine right now is about 35 to 40 minutes with SBP, DM, yoni mudra and rest. When I scan across the practices to come, some day you spend about 75 minutes, twice daily. That is quite a lot. I get up at 5:30 right now and have the feeling that I cannot clear much more time for future practices. I understand that SPB and DM are the core practices. Is there some other hierarchy in the other practices that is recommended?

Asanas
Navi Kriya
Nauli
Forced breathing out (rapid forced breathing out)
Chin Pump
Spinal Bastrika Pranayama
Core Samyama
Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka
Targeted Laser Bastrika
Cosmic Samayama

So basically I have two questions:

Is the order the practices are introduced in the booklets necessarily the order the practices are introduced into one's routine or doesn't it matter (apart from SBP, DM)?

Is there a hierarchy regarding the importance of practices in a busy time schedule (apart from SBP, DM)?

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2019 :  07:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from the core practises of DM and SBP everything in AYP is optional, if you are inclined to do it. The order of the practises isn't fixed either but it is recommended that you start out from the beginning and take it slow. At least that is my understanding of it.

Also: https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...OPIC_ID=1771 ; the fly wheel effect - the longer you have been practising, the less practise is needed for the same amount of opening occuring.

quote:
Is there a hierarchy regarding the importance of practices in a busy time schedule (apart from SBP, DM)?

I would do the practises that your inner guru is pulling you towards. That is the best approach possible in my opinion.

Much love
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2019 :  07:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As said above, other than spinal breathing and meditation, the rest are optional. If you are inclined to experiment, you can try extra practices during a long weekend or during your vacation. We incorporate the other practices over a very long period according to our time and energy.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2019 :  1:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Though the other practices are optional, they speed up purification, right? So it does of course make sense to incorporate them in the long run. However, I wonder how to make up the time to do that.

I added Samyama recently and had to stop it after a few days due to overload. Does it make sense to add another practice instead of Samyama (chin pump for example)? Is it possible that one practice leads less to an overload than another? I guess it depends on the person...
Go to Top of Page

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2019 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
less is more is what I've been told when I was craving for more practises

Samyama is beautiful and works miracles. Did you try releasing the sutra once instead of twice? Or reducing to once a day? I experienced slight overload the first few times as well but adjusted pretty well afterwards.

quote:
However, I wonder how to make up the time to do that.

Just do what you can. Maybe attend a retreat sometime or add a sitting on weekends. There are many ways to enhance purification. And usually such problems solve themselves when we are tuned into the divine flow.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2019 :  05:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stille, as we are talking about Samyama and I see you are from Germany, do you have any suggestions for the Samyama translation to German? I use

Love: Liebe
Radiance: Glanz (?)
Unitiy: Einheit
Health: Gesundheit
Strength: Stärke
Abundance: Reichtum (?)
Wisdom: Weisheit
Inner Sensualitiy: Innere Sinnesfreuden (?)
Aksha - Lightness of Air: Innerer Raum - Leichte von Luft (?)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2019 :  05:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

I don't know if you are aware of it, but all of the AYP lessons and books have been translated into German. The suggested translations there for the basic 9 samyama sutras into German are on this page:

https://www.fyue.de/samayama-siddhis

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2019 :  07:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Cato,

I use all of the sutras from the german translation and one personal addition ("Luzide Träume") for lucid dreaming. I found the AYP translation to be better than my own attempt, except "Nach innen gerichtete Sinnlichkeit" because it is very long to think that one. I still use it though because the actual words doesn't matter that much. The intent that is released with them is the important factor. I was close to changing it to "Innere Sinnlichkeit" multiple times though. I wouldn't change the word Akasha (I think Yogani says that as well). I was thinking of "Akasha - Leicht wie Luft" at first but then didn't use it.

I wanted to use Glanz and Reichtum as well, before I checked with the offical translation

Before I started Samyama I thought about the meaning of all my chosen sutras for a while and during practise I just have confidence in the process.

Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2019 :  10:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2019 :  10:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato and all,

Just to clarify something from earlier in this discussion, Spinal Breathing is actually also an optional practice in AYP. Some people simply never take it on, using only Deep Meditation, or DM and Samyama as the core of their practice.

Even Deep Meditation is not compulsory, because some people are self-pacing down to breathing meditation, or the passive awareness technique, due to over-sensitivity to the mantra.

In terms of the order to take practices on, I would suggest the order in which they are introduced in the main lessons. They generally start with the more gentle techniques and progress gradually to the more powerful techniques such as the advanced pranayamas and self-inquiry. No practice is compulsory, so people can skip one if they are not drawn to it, and move on to the next.

People do not need to follow that guidance though. Some may choose to practice Deep Meditation and then take on Self-Inquiry when inner silence becomes strong for example. AYP is an open system and there is a lot of flexibility in it.

In terms of finding the time, my experience is that it is possible. There are two things that often happen. One is that we can find that as we progress, we need less sleep. So, we are simply able to get up earlier in the morning than we used to. If we are getting up at 5am or 6am instead of 7am or 8am, it becomes very easy to do a lot in the mornings in terms of spiritual practices. The other thing I found was that as we progress we tend to become more dedicated to the path and realize just how important it is. When that happens, we can often make time by practicing instead of doing things that are maybe less productive. My own routine was around 75 minutes, twice a day, for quite a number of years.

Being flexible is important as well, because some days it is not going to be possible, especially if work is demanding, or we have small children or family commitments. So, we have to be realistic and practice well when we can. Whatever works!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2019 :  4:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for clarifaction Christi
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  04:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

briefly coming back to the german translations for the sutras. There are some sutras that have different meanings in german. Can that be a problem? For example

strength: "Stärke" in german means strength or starch
unity: "Einheit" in german means unity or (military) unit or (physical) unit
radiance: "Ausstrahlung" in german means radiance or broadcast
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  05:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

It can be difficult, or even impossible sometimes to find exact translations in different languages. But it is not necessary. If one translation does not work well for you, then you can use a different one that resonates more strongly. As long as you keep the basic meanings of the sutras the same, then it will work.

This is the same for people using the sutras in English. If one sutra does not feel right, then people can use another, as long as the meaning is basically the same.

See here:

Lesson 151 - Samyama - Settling in with Your Sutras

"As for changing sutras, it is up to you. If "humility" is not contained in "Love" for you, then add it. If "Radiance" is not clear, use "Divine Radiance" or "Outflowing Light." If "Unity" is unclear, use "Oneness." Or, maybe those clarifications will give you comfort in using the originals." [Yogani]

"Picking sutras is not exact science. Commit to a good list for yourself and go with it. You can't wander too far off track if you stay with the basic range of meanings. There are plenty more in Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, many far more abstract than the ones given here. The idea is to cover the whole of body/mind/heart, stimulating inner silence out through it. This will purify and open the important channels (nadis) in the nervous system. Once you settle in with samyama, it is suggested you not change sutras around often. We want to go deep, and that will be difficult if we keep moving the location of our digging. For the same reason we stay stable with our mantra, except for occasional enhancements when we are ready to "shift gears" to broaden our presence in pure bliss consciousness." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  04:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification, Christi!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  06:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Cato

Hi,

briefly coming back to the german translations for the sutras. There are some sutras that have different meanings in german. Can that be a problem? For example

strength: "Stärke" in german means strength or starch
unity: "Einheit" in german means unity or (military) unit or (physical) unit
radiance: "Ausstrahlung" in german means radiance or broadcast

Dear Cato,

I feel Einheit is not a good translation for Unity. I would go with Gesamtheit. Or simply Eins.

Ausstrahlung sounds right but perhaps Strahlen ?

Have fun picking the best one. Like Yogani says use your most intimate language.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2020 :  04:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

I had the same question about german samyama translations. I decided to just leave some of them english, as the english meaning seemed more intuitive to me.

Love: Liebe
Radiance: Radiance
Peace: Frieden
Unity: Einheit
Health: Gesundheit
Strength: Kraft
Abundance: Vollkommenheit, also Fülle worked well for me
Wisdom: Weisheit
Inner Sensuality: Inner Sensuality
Akasha - Lightness of Air: Akasha - Leichtigkeit der Luft
I thought - who am I: Ich Gedanke - Wer bin ich?

Edited by - lightandlove on Dec 17 2020 05:25:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2020 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lightandlove, that sounds like a reasonable approach. I prefer not to change those sutras too often and settled with liebe - göttliche ausstrahlung - einheit - gesundheit - stärke - überfluss - weisheit - nach innen gerichtete sinnlichkeit - akasha, leichtigkeit von luft.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000