Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Other options of mantras for DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeekingMyGuru

India
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  12:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is there any other options of matara instead of I am
I don't feel a connected to it it's a English word
Any other traditional options
I am familiar with so ham

Or maybe I don't understand the importance of I am
Please clarify
Thank you

Christi

United Kingdom
4371 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SeekingMyGuru,

Welcome to the forums.

Another way of writing I AM is AYAM. AYAM is a Sanskrit word.

The full AYP mantra is: SHREE OM SHREE OM AYAM AYAM NAMAH NAMAH.

When we begin the practice we begin with just the AYAM part. The reason for this is that this mantra purifies the subtle body in a way that is suitable for people beginning meditation. It purifies between the root chakra and the ajna chakra (third eye). Some people remain with this mantra for their whole spiritual practice, whilst others follow the procedure for enhancing the mantra, gradually taking on more and more syllables until the whole mantra is being used.

In AYP there are no alternative mantras available, however if someone comes to AYP already having a mantra that they are used to and it is working well for them, then they can simply continue with it. So, if So Ham works for you, then feel free to use it.

If you wanted to take on the mantra enhancements later though, you would need to switch to AYAM first, as the enhancements are designed to work with the AYAM mantra.

There is a full description of how mantras work in this lesson:

Lesson 188 - Mantra Design 101

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000