Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Energy of observation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lisa123

Luxembourg
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  03:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
When i read all about meditation, all is about act of observation of thoughts. Is the act of observation a kind of energy which affect our thinking?
I mean watching, looking or paying attention inward to the thoughts is energy and if so, is this energy which is in work in meditation?
Thank u for your reply

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  10:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa123
When i read all about meditation, all is about act of observation of thoughts.

If this definition were true, then what about the times there are no thoughts? Can we still be meditating then?

I'd recommend reading the lessons on this website and giving meditation a try. It is the only way to truly know what meditation is and how it works.
See links on the left. Lesson 13 is the first lesson about meditation.

Good luck finding your answers
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  06:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lisa,

You ask if the act of observation is a type of energy that affects our thinking, and the answer is yes. This is just another way of saying that everything is energy.

To the question if the object of meditation is observing our thoughts, the answer is no. Paying attention to our thoughts might be insightful outside the meditation, but during the meditation we gently bring the attention to the thought of the mantra to go beyond the thoughts, beyond the mind. We could think about the mind as a powerful program that completely took over our computer. The mind program is the only thing that we can see, and it does what it wants, with us having little to no control over it. As we meditate, we start to have moments when the mind-program turns off, and then we get a glimpse of our incredible computer. With a regular meditation practice, we get more and more control over the mind. We can "close" the mind-program to explore the rest of our computer and its wonderful capabilities, and then we can turn the mind on again to deal with daily life.

Best wishes for your practice!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000