Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Automatic kriyas question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  05:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
My AYP-practice right now has half an hour of ashtanga, 10 min. SBP, 7 cycles of yoni mudra and 20 min. DM during the week (no asanas in the evening). At the weekend, the half hour of ashtanga is replaced by half an hour of automatic kriyas (asanas).

My question concerns these automatic asanas. I do them quite intuitively and they have more extreme forward- and backbending than the usual ashtanga routine. I let them unfold naturally. Recently, I read in one of the AYP booklets that the purification process is rather forward-pressing and would do the whole thing in one day if possible. That made me think. During and after the kriyas, there is a lot of energy moving going on. It is quite pleasurable but I guess it can lead to imbalances during daily activity.

So the question is: Would you integrate those kriyas into your routine if they were available (as a natural and beneficial part of the process) or would you regard them as not really necessary?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  12:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato
quote:
Originally posted by Cato
During and after the kriyas, there is a lot of energy moving going on.
What happens is that the energy moves more freely through the body during and after these movements. The bending and stretching allow it to get through the usual bottlenecks. This is what asanas are really for. It is a positive thing.

quote:
the purification process is rather forward-pressing and would do the whole thing in one day if possible.
What Yogani is talking about here is overdoing yoga practices. I do not think your automatic yoga fits under this heading. Asanas are a mild practice. Unless you do it for long periods of time every day, it is unlikely to overload you.

My direct answer to your question would be to keep doing the kriyas. As we progress in yoga, we get better at following our instinct about what is useful by way of facilitating our journey. Your instinct tells you that these movements are useful. I should listen to it.

Enjoy
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  09:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As our daily activity is the measure for the practice being balanced or not, it makes decisions about the practice difficult. I experience being quite easily upset from time to time. At other times, I am quite relaxed. For me it is hard to tell if an imbalace stems from the yoga practice or if it is a quite usual up and down. How can you tell if you should change your practice or your ups and downs are nothing special?

In times I feel imbalanced, I think about cutting back the kriyas as the first thing, as they do not directly belong to the system. At other times, everything feels fine. I guess even if the practice is quite balanced, one feels upset. So when do you decide whether to change something?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  11:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
So when do you decide whether to change something?

When you experience discomfort or you have difficulties managing your daily activity.

Some small, transitory symptoms are unavoidable. We don't reduce our practice just because we get a few signs of purification. If we can take them in our stride, we press on with our daily sittings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000