Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Eyes focussing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2019 :  03:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Until now, I did my SBP with my eyes focused between the eyebrows (or trying to do so). Today, I had another look in the AYP spinal breathing booklet. It is described that you only gently lift the eyes with slighlty furrowing the brows intentionally. No eye focussing there. It makes sense to me since focussing always means a little bit of strain which is not what is wanted. I understand it that the eyes gaze to the infinite and aren't focused in any way on the third eye. Is that correct?

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2019 :  1:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to know as well. Both happens to me, the gently gazing into the infinite and the sometimes strenous upward looking. My body often does the latter on it's own.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2019 :  10:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My brow lightly lifts in and out of practice, and automatically in DM and asana class. It seems not on the third eye, but through it.

Edited by - Dogboy on Aug 20 2019 10:52:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  10:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This lesson on sambhavi mudra might give some insights, sambhavi mudra

We don't force the eyes. In the beginning, they may not go as far up as we would like. That is okay. Do not force them. Just let them gravitate naturally toward the sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows. Again, it is a subtle physical habit we want to cultivate.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! Even though the issue is not directly adressed, I take it as not to focus the eyes in sambhavo mudra but to easily gaze in the direction of the third eye.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  08:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Cato –

This is a very good question. The focus of the eyes in sambhavi mudra refines with practice. At the beginning, we might easily focus the eyes toward the space between the eyebrows, while we gently furrow the brow. It is just a little more than an intention. Thus, there is no adamant focus of the eyes. We want to raise the eyes toward the space between the eyebrows and “make them one”.

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. (Matthew 6:22; King James Version).

As the nervous system is purified, we will become aware that there is more here than our physical body. We become aware that the third eye encompasses more than the space between the eyebrows. We may even notice that the third eye extends to the infinite. Thus, the focus of the raised eyes in sambhavi will shift to the space in front of the place between the eyebrows, and then to the infinite, while the eyes remain slightly crossed.

This does not mean that in sambhavi mudra we have to focus our eyes to the infinite. Our practice has to match the level where we are in the process of purification of our nervous system. If it makes sense to raise the eyes and gently focus them toward the space between the eyebrows, then this is what we should do. If it makes sense to focus slightly in front of the space of the space between the eyebrows, then this would be the right thing to do for us. Like that. We might start to focus to the infinite. If we do not, that it is fine, too. The best way for an effective practice is to start at the beginning, and see where the regular practice effortlessly takes us to in time.

I hope that this makes sense.
Best wishes,

Blanche
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000