Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Book recommendation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2019 :  1:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

I am into AYP for several months now and I wonder if you can give a literature recommendation, that "matches it best". I know there is quite a bunch of literature out there, but I wonder if there is some literature (Yoga Sutras or the Gita for example) that might complement the "practical" AYP approach best.

Not sure if the question transports my thought correctly. I guess I'm looking for some philosophical framework or guidelines that frame AYP.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2019 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato

How much of Yogani's writing have you read so far? I guess you are working your way through the lessons on this website, right? Are you reading ahead of the most recent practice you have adopted?

This may be a very personal preference, but I find the 2 "Easy lessons" volumes very revealing of Yogani's thinking. They let you see how he's built AYP up, practice by practice and answer by answer. The other books are very informative, but the Easy Lessons have been my favorite from day one and I'm still very attached to them.

If you'd like an AYP novel, the Secrets of Wilder is the one.

Yoga Sutras are a gem. I think you need to have a fair amount of practice under your belt to appreciate it. Give it a try.

Two other books that are, at least to me, close to the spirit of AYP (in various ways) are Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha" and "Journey to the East".

And we, as a forum community, quite like Rumi's poems. There are quite a few quoted in this forum, and in the AYP Plus forum.

P.S. I'm not mentioning the Gita because I have not got round to reading it. But I have heard enthusiastic comments about it from fellow AYPers.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jun 04 2019 2:49:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2019 :  7:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Prophet by Khalil Gibran might interest you so would books by Wayne Dyer.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  01:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic had already been discussed:

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...OPIC_ID=1380

Didier
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  04:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blue, I also love Yoganis works! However, if I understand the works correctly, there is minor meaning given to ethics (or rules to live by perhaps). For the yamas and niyamas, it is said that they come along automatically over the years.

quote:
Originally posted by Buffle37

This topic had already been discussed:

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...OPIC_ID=1380

Didier

Thanks Didier, but what I was trying to say was that I'm not looking for simply recommendable spiritual books but a philosophical framework that comes along with ethical guidelines as well for example. Some theoretical work to live by perhaps. One that also serves AYP on some level. I would think that the Yoga Sutras or the Gita could be such a thing and I was wondering if you have something else in mind.

The AYP practice is a great thing and I am looking for some ethics that supports it and helps with day-to-day issues, conflicts, personal relationships.

Go to Top of Page

Jourdain

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2019 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Cato
It's not looking for simply recommendable spiritual books but a philosophical framework that comes along with ethical guidelines as well for example. Some theoretical work to live by perhaps. One that also serves AYP on some level. I would think that the Yoga Sutras or the Gita could be such a thing..."

I recently took a look at the Yoga Sutras and I think you might indeed like it from these points of view. It's awfully compressed, but there's a good deal of plausible philosophical explanation offered, along with a valuable example of how to resolve doubts about whether a yama applies or not. The criterion seems to be whether the act increases one's own ignorance.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2019 :  04:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jourdain,

do you have in mind a specific version of the explanations?
Go to Top of Page

Jourdain

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2019 :  12:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem and no, not really. John Henry Thompson has a site comparing several (English) translations of the Yoga Sutras along with glosses of most of the individual Sanskrit words, and I just read through that and made up my own mind about what Patanjali meant But I'm sure I'll have to go back through it later with more scholarly sensitivity. Thompson's collection begins here:
http://www.johnhenrythompson.com/yo...ni/book-1/11
Go to Top of Page

jupiter

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2019 :  10:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jupiter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two good ones to consider.

1. God Talks with Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita by Paramahansa Yogananda
2. Just Be, Transform Your Life and Live as Infinity by Suresh Ramaswamy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000