Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Tips for dealing with sleep-maintenance insomnia?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oscaraf

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 26 2019 :  8:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm a 29 year-old male with sleep-maintenance insomnia. These days I usually sleep 5 hours a night in total, split into 2-4 hour chunks, whereas I used to sleep 7 in one go.

I have a regular yoga practice, meditate a couple hours a day usually (using The Mind Illuminated and Tranquil Wisdom Insight Meditation, usually.)

The insomnia started when I was in graduate school and unfortunately continued after I dropped out.

I don't usually have a problem falling asleep, but I'll wake up in the middle of the night wired and jittery, and unable to fall back asleep.

I don't have any known medical issues causing the insomnia.

I've also beaten this issue before, but it took several months of CBT, and was one of the hardest things I ever did. The trick was to restrict my sleep to a short window, and only sleep during that window. When I slept during the whole thing I'd expand it little by little. I plan to start this again, but I want every tool I can get to make the process easier.

Now that the insomnia is back, I'd like to know if there are any AYP practices that are known to benefit sleep.

Just as an aside, please know that I'm already familiar with the usual suggestions, e.g. melatonin, magnesium, not eating before bed, getting regular exercise, etc. I've had this issue for a couple years and the only things that have made any dent in it have been mind-body interventions, which is why I'm asking here. I have a well-balanced diet and work as a P.E. teacher, and I don't eat after 12pm.

I'm interested in knowing how to use pranayama, meditation, and yoga together to balance me out. I'd like to approach this from the point of view of relaxing the nerves, which I think is the main issue.

Thanks for the help.

o.

smileforme

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  3:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings and Om Shanti, aren't you fresh after 5 hours sleep? I sleep a maximum of 5 hours and I'm ready for my morning meditation again. I sleep at 11:PM and at 3 I'm ready to go for my morning meditation. To be honest, If you don't want to feel light, eat heavy meal. Just like those cats.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2019 :  4:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Oscaraf,

I think you may want to go to a doctor of chinese medicine and chave a check. Perhaps you need a yin tonic depending on which of your organs are strong/weak.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000