Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 TM and now AYP; a few questions/Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SamsBoy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2019 :  2:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I learned TM 16 months ago and it has been a wonderful practice for me. I have gone on a retreat and learned their alternate nostril pranayama and asanas and have enjoyed those in my practice as well.

I had been interested in learning advanced technqiues but as they are a flat high fee and not income based like learning regular TM, I began looking around and happily found this community and picked up Yogani's books on spinal breathing and Samyama.

Is it unwise to begin incorporating both into my practice at once? Over the last week, I have tried both, before and after my meditation and immediately can feel the value of each. I understand the importance of self pacing as Yogani advises, so my question is should I get a good handle on pranayama/spinal breathing for a few months before adding in Samyama? I don't imagine I will have time for all of it twice a day, so what is the preferred addition to DM; considering I have a year+ of inner silence?

Thank you.

Edited by - SamsBoy on Mar 21 2019 5:02:45 PM

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2019 :  5:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP form SamsBoy

Great to hear you are enjoying your practice.

Which to choose - spinal breathing or samyama?
Samyama can be taken up as soon as some inner silence is present. The fact that you notice benefits from it, indicates that you are probably ready for it. On the other hand, spinal breathing is an important practice that will change the quality of your DM.

The two practices are very different and have different purposes. Which appeals to you most?
Go to Top of Page

SamsBoy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2019 :  9:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, BlueRaincoat!

I found some trouble with shortness of breath and lower back discomfort with spinal breathing but enjoyed the warm spacious feeling it provided during meditation.

With Samyama, it took me a few sessions to get the "fuzzy" feeling and not try to pronounce the words clearly/think of the next word while on the one before it. I'm sure both smooth out with practice. Thanks for your input.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2019 :  9:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BlueRaincoat, would you recommend in this situation that Samsboy should try to change from his TM mantra to the DM mantra?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  07:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Samsboy and all,

In general, it is recommended to leave at least 3 or 4 weeks between adding one advanced yoga practice and another. Both samyama and spinal breathing are advanced practices, so would come under this guidance. The reason for this is that if we do experience any discomfort from one practice, we will have much more chance of knowing which it is coming from, if we add practices at intervals like this. It is also important to be well established and comfortable with your existing practices, before adding on anything else.

If you have a mantra already that you are comfortable with and which is working for you, then there is no need to change it if you are beginning AYP practice. It takes quite a while to settle in with a new mantra. On the other hand, if you do want to change, then you certainly can do. Changing a mantra, or adding a mantra enhancement, would count as adding an advanced practice, so you would want to have a gap of at least several weeks or a month between doing that and adding an additional practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Parsifal

Poland
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  09:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also started AYP ptactices with a few years of TM experience. I decided to change the TM mantra on the AYP mantra despite the fact that TM worked well. The reasons for my decision to change the mantra were ideological in nature. I was so fed up with the TM Organization and its policy that I even decided to abandon the technique that served me well for seven years. However, Deep Meditation turned out to be as good (and maybe even better) than TM, so I'm glad I did.
Go to Top of Page

SamsBoy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2019 :  09:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another question...maybe this is not the right thread for it. I have read about the mantra enhancements, but am wondering if there is an AYP equivalent or similar practice to the first advanced TM technique, what they call the "Night" technique. Is this related to samyama or another practice? Thank you
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2019 :  10:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SamsBoy

Another question...maybe this is not the right thread for it. I have read about the mantra enhancements, but am wondering if there is an AYP equivalent or similar practice to the first advanced TM technique, what they call the "Night" technique. Is this related to samyama or another practice? Thank you

Hi Samsboy:

Sorry, with respect we avoid discussing private techniques from other teachings in the AYP forum.

AYP has mantra enhancements and a solar centering enhancement for the Deep Meditation technique, which may be taken on gradually over multiple years of daily practice. You can find them summarized and refined here: https://www.aypsite.com/369.html

We also have Cosmic Samyama, which can be used before going to sleep at night: https://www.aypsite.com/299.html
A stable daily practice of sitting Samyama practice is a prerequisite for this: https://www.aypsite.com/150.html

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2019 :  10:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

SamsBoy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2019 :  10:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I respect this and thank you kindly for pointing me in the right direction!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000