Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How To Clean Bad Samskaras/Karma?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nothingatall

Lithuania
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  09:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In some literature I read that bad samskaras are cleared when we meditate and reach samadhi and I was wondering what other ways there are to clear bad samskaras. Same goes for karma if we did something bad and realized after some time what we did was bad but at the time we weren't conscious about it. How can we clean that bad karma? Is there any way to erase that cosmic debt?

Thank You.

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  09:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nothingatall,

Karma is basically the way that we respond to certain situations. The way that we respond is affected by various things, such as our memories (samskaras), our tendencies (vasanas), who we think we are (ahamkara) and so on. It is affected by our level of ignorance about our true nature (avidya) and by false identification etc. How we respond to things is complex and not easy to understand.

All of our spiritual practices will help to remove negative karma. It is not only when we are in samadhi that negative karma is cleared. Asana, pranayama, meditation, samyama etc. will all help to clear out negative karma. The most effective of these are pranayama (especially Spinal Breathing) and meditation.

Other spiritual practices will help to clear negative karma as well. These include bhakti yoga, karma yoga, jnana yoga, tantric practices and the study of spiritual teachings.

It is good not to dwell too much on the issue of karma, because it cannot be understood by the mind. But it can be understood when we transcend the mind. So, it is best to put our energy into that!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

InSearch

India
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2019 :  11:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am wondering if there is a way to only target bad karma, from what I've learned is that you burn karma good and bad both with spritual practices.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2019 :  7:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sense of good and bad originate in the mind. So transcend the mind by doing spiritual practices.
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  12:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nothingatall! For some reason what’s coming to mind for me when you mention karma is consciousness and mindful releasing people, places and things with which we have a negative association. I’ve been focusing a lot lately on clearing my physical environment- really mindfully aware of the things around me and my association positive or negative with them. Am I holding onto things that no longer serve me? When we do this I believe we help clear karma and raise our vibration. Whether it’s as small as throwing away a piece of paper we no longer need or letting go of a relationship that is no longer serving us. I’m thinking of the quote “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.” Blessings! Chard
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  10:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by InSearch

I am wondering if there is a way to only target bad karma, from what I've learned is that you burn karma good and bad both with spritual practices.

Hi Insearch,

When we practice yoga, we will be reducing our negative karma (burning it up) and increasing our positive karma.

An example of reducing negative karma is that before we started practicing, we may have had the tendency to get annoyed or angry easily, but after practicing for a number of months or years, that tendency may change and we find that in the same situations, we are no longer upset or angry and can observe the situation with a calm mind and with tolerance.

An example of positive karma being created is that when we practice, our practice becomes a habit and we will gain the rewards of that practice in terms of greater peace, joy and bliss. So we are doing an action (karma) every day, which has a positive effect on the body and mind and that action is creating a tendency towards further beneficial action and so on.

This is how positive and negative karma works. Eventually we transcend all karma, which means that we enter a state where we are free to act as we will, guided by love.

In terms of action in the world, to reduce negative karmic effects, the yamas and niyamas in yoga give good guidance.

See lesson 149 for more on the yamas and niyamas and how all the aspects of yoga come together to improve the way we conduct ourselves in the world:

Lesson 149 - The Eight Limbs of Yoga, and Samyama - Melting the Darkness

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2019 :  01:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Other ways. If you are not into yoga, I find having a good cry, repenting (asking forgiveness for yourself and for the other party), forgiving and letting go (a feeling of peace will rush in) is a good way of releasing samskaras.
Of course, that only applies for a specific situation /trauma, that you are aware of. In broad strokes, it is always about forgiveness, surrender and releasing.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2019 :  06:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi InSearch,

The best way to target bad karma is through practices, as Tristan's advised. Karma comes with a blind spot, and it is difficult to see it (if not impossible). Following the universal laws of the yamas and niyamas (see Christi's answer) and cultivating non-attachment (as advised by Chard and Sey) are the first steps in dealing with karma. There is less need to worry about good karma than bad karma. However, any karma ties us to the wheel of suffering, and limits our freedom. "Avert the danger which has not yet come," says Patanjali. A regular spiritual practice that includes spinal breathing pranayama, deep meditation, and samyama will gradually start to clear out obstructions in the nervous system and allow us to enjoy a better life.

Best wishes on your chosen path!
Go to Top of Page

lxknvlk

Latvia
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  01:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had such an impression - that you point your awareness into the dark/painfull/uncomfortable area in your body that you feel in deep meditation, focus awareness until you see that the discomfort dissolves. I sometimes have little seizures when the energy blob dissolves from my attention, and huge energy surge afterwards. I don't know what this is, but it feels like i am cleaning out something from me, might be karma/samskaras.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000