Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Importance of Right View
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  01:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am reading a book called Tantra Illuminated by Christopher Wallis, which covers the history, philosophy and practice of tantra
On the topic of View, he says

quote:
In the Indian tradition, the first and most crucial step on the spiritual path is getting oriented to the View (dar#347;ana) of the path that you will walk. The Sanskrit word dar#347;ana is often translated as “philosophy,” but the connotations of that English word miss the mark. Dar#347;ana means worldview, vision of reality, and way of seeing; it is also a map of the path you will walk....
....Thus, orientation to the View is crucial even for those whose interest in the Tantra is entirely practical, for practice that is not founded on and aligned with right View (sad-dar#347;ana) is said to be fruitless. Note that “right View” is also the first step of the Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism. Now this teaching is not very popular in the West, partially because we value not telling people what to think or believe, but also because the View teachings are not well understood. The popular opinion, then, is that yoga will do its work regardless of what viewpoint you hold, since yoga transcends the mind. This is true but to a very limited extent. It is also true that yoga can only take you so far if its attainments are being used to reinforce a skewed or misaligned view of reality. This explains why some great yogis in medieval India became sorcerers, drunk on power; and why some prominent yogis today, similarly deluded, have manipulated their students and wielded their power for personal gain. Yoga (and even more so Tantrik Yoga) gives power, and that power can magnify whatever is present: it makes a good person into a saint and a jerk into an even greater and more effective jerk.

I believe AYP also leans towards “AYP is scientific and will do its thing irrespective of what you believe in”. We say this in particular with Samyama - it is morally self-regulating or something like that.

So, how important do you believe is right View to be?

Sey

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  03:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question, Sey. From my experience, I didn't start meditating with any focus on how I should see the world or my reality. My reality had been shaken in a time of crisis, I was looking for meaning, searching for some kind of truth, and I started meditating with very little guidance. Perhaps that was already quite a 'right' view, even if this wasn't a consideration at the time. But over time anyway, I would say meditation quickly changed my ideas towards meditation and reality, and I have developed more integrity, authenticity, etc, some almost straight away, others developing gradually over time. And I would say this is a similar path for those I know who have embarked on meditation. I would suggest that if someone would have a 100% right view already, there might be no need to meditate.

But in defence of a right view. There are also cultural reasons why yoga or meditation appeals to people. These days, yoga is associated with physical and emotional health and wellbeing, meditation with peace, compassion, truth etc. Perhaps it hasn't always been like this, hence the need for describing such views of reality as necessary. There are people who are looking for tools to manipulate others, but these people might be more likely to find something like NLP or hypnosis today, than yoga or meditation. But it might not always have been like that.

But then again, perhaps I'm a little naive, especially regarding power drunk gurus, since I have personally not met any self-proclaimed gurus myself. I would suggest that if these people are practising yoga, they are yogis... just like the rest of us. Ultimately their desires will be frustrated, and underlying feelings laid bare, and they will grow.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  12:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am finding over time the discipline of yoga practice (asanas, SBP, DM, samyama) promotes surrendering expectations/outcomes, and in turn, openness and acceptance, inside and out, a kind of capture and release. Is this right view? I have confidence with Inner Guru, and life experience, that suggests to me it most likely is. Does this get me "all the way"? I have no idea, but content with this lifetime either way, and nonetheless.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2019 :  08:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe there is no right view, only a view a platform a sense of making decisions that lead to a more open less frictional existence this will depend on knowledge gained age experience ,we all have a view some less or more veiled by our ignorance to the ultimate reality, in human form we have an understanding of the beyond ,probability ,action consequence ,and so on ,desire plays its part in our suffering and liberation ,a view really is only a standpoint from where you are now ,tomorrow the view changes but that does not mean you forget the previous view no right or wrong just different ,dogboys thoughts on this are so gentle loving his view is very beautiful and inspiring
Go to Top of Page

Umang

India
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  03:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone,

I think having any particular point of view matters only as much as it inspires us to practise or not. If we are inspired to practise, that's all that matters. If we are not inspired by our point of view, sooner or later it will change to accommodate our growing desire.

Go to Top of Page

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by compassion
Ultimately their desires will be frustrated, and underlying feelings laid bare, and they will grow.

What a great way to put the process of growth in general.

I wonder if the word "right" is the difficulty, because it tends to sound strict and conceptual, at least in English. What if it's more like stable vs. unstable? The "right" way to learn to ride a bike is to focus somewhere far away and not get wrapped up in the form of our peddling, which will be refined naturally later on. And the "right" way to make an arrow is with feathers at the back to keep its aim true. This seems similar to the concept of self-regulation that Sey mentioned.

k.cherry
Go to Top of Page

spiderjen29

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  12:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've read that book before! I really enjoyed it. I do agree with what Wallis says about the view. The reason is because the mindset is so important. As kumar says, there is no right view. I believe the view comes from within and cannot be controlled. The best way is to come with an open mind and the view will come.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000