Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Fasting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jigjnasu

France
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaskaram,

Is there anything to pay attention during a extended fast in conjunction with the practice ?

For several month I feel hot current coming from my nostril (left) and am concerned by the possibility of creating to much heat. What would be indication that this is the case ?

In your opinion is there some practice that should be restrained during fasting. For example should some shatkarmas be put on hold (jala neti, vata kapalbhati, basti ?). Some asanas avoided ?

This is not my first fast (10 days+) but this time I intend going to 21 days, if no major issues happens of course.

Love,

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  07:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Please consult a physician or a dietician to do fasting the right way. Read lesson 309 and subsequent lessons for the right approach.
Go to Top of Page

jigjnasu

France
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  12:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reminder. Reading those lessons again has been helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  11:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jigjnasu,

If you start to feel too much heat in the body because of a fast, you would know about it. The experience would be uncomfortable or painful. So, that would be a sign to reduce the intensity of the fast for a while until symptoms settle down.

There is no need to stop any practices during a fast. In fact it is quite the opposite. When fasting, the body will go into a purification mode, expelling things that it does not need. So the shatkarmas, such as basti, neti, etc. can be practiced frequently. Basti should be performed at least once each day unless the water being expelled is clear. Even then, I would go to once every other day, or every third day.

There is no need to avoid any asanas. Of course, listen to your body and make adjustments accordingly. Some people become more energised during a fast, some have less energy, so you will need to adapt your practice according to that.

If you begin to feel spaced out/ unable to concentrate, ungrounded etc. then this can be a good indication that it is time to reduce the intensity of the fast, or to finish it all together. It is best to respond to what is happening for you, rather than to attempt to reach some pre-set goal.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

spiderjen29

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  12:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Christi hit the nail on the head!

We have goals when we fast but sometimes our bodies are not ready for those goals. We cannot go through extreme uncomfortableness and allow our bodies to suffer to achieve our pre-set goal. It depends on each person but fasting may make a person more energized or more tired. The best way is to try it but not to set goals that are too high or unattainable and then go from there.

Also, consulting a medical professional is a good thing to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000