Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Newbie here - Something just happened
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theBuddhaInMe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  3:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

Been practicing pranayama on and off for 1-2 years, but nothing serious. No routine, just did it when felt like it.

I just turned 44 and recently started doing SBP and meditation for past 2 weeks because of health reasons (story for some other time).

Now I have had lower back pain for last 3-4 years, maybe longer, dont exactly remember. I was a chiropractic regular, and other stuff but nothing worked. I learned to live with it. It was the first thing I felt when I woke up in the morning. I had gotten used to constantly massaging my back through out the day as that helped.

Then last night, I lie down to sleep and since my back was killing me, I lay flat since hardness of the mattress helps.

Then I felt this weird sensation on my spine, like a snake moving or slithering. Right at the spot where it hurt the most on my spine.

It was a new sensation but I didnt think much of it and went to sleep. Woke up this morning and first thing I noticed, the back pain is gone. Its still sore but not hurting anywhere close to what it used to be.

I dont know if this is temporary so I am waiting to see how it goes throughout the day and then in the night.

But what just happened?

-tBiM

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  4:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TheBudhhaInMe,

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes blockages can form in the body which can cause pain. Movements of energy in the body can clear the blockages away and then the pain can disappear. It can seem miraculous at the time, if we are not used to it.

Some of the channels in the body that energy flows through are formed like spirals in a double helix formation. This can give the sensation of a snake moving.

It is quite likely that the pain in your lower back will be gone and will not return. Or, it could return if the blockage re-forms. So it is useful to be engaged in practices that purify the body at the subtle level over the long term. Of course, there are far more wide-reaching benefits to practicing meditation and pranayama than simply reducing or eliminating physical pain and suffering. The practices also reduce and eliminate mental pain and suffering.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

theBuddhaInMe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi for the welcome.

Yeah, as I am learning more I am realizing this about the energy in the body.

It was kind of surprising because I had not expected anything this quick...just 2 weeks.

I started disciplined meditation this time, primarily to calm and focus my mind. I will take any physical benefits that come along.

-tBiM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  4:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  1:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Realizing energy, and acquainting myself to its flows, has been a game changer to my earthly life, my yoga, my bhakti, thanks to a dedicated meditation practice. Within a particular sitting, purification makes itself known in sensations behind the mantra. My asana class has become a divine dance, offered humbly up, surrendered. Most nights as I lay to sleep, it is on a magic carpet ride of bliss. Before AYP, none of this was realized.

May your own experience keep you returning to your seat.
Go to Top of Page

theBuddhaInMe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  4:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Realizing energy, and acquainting myself to its flows, has been a game changer to my earthly life, my yoga, my bhakti, thanks to a dedicated meditation practice. Within a particular sitting, purification makes itself known in sensations behind the mantra. My asana class has become a divine dance, offered humbly up, surrendered. Most nights as I lay to sleep, it is on a magic carpet ride of bliss. Before AYP, none of this was realized.

May your own experience keep you returning to your seat.

Can you please elaborate more on energy and the flow you mentioned? I think I know what you are talking about but I would like to hear about it someone much more experienced than me.

Another question I have is, and maybe this is just me imagining things but when I do my meditation I feel like someone is shining a very bright flashlight on my eyes. I have even opened my eyes to make sure and yes, its still dark outside (I meditate early morning) but as soon as I close my eyes that bright light is there again.

Its mostly on my right side more towards a side than right infront but its very much there. And then sometimes its on both my eyes. Its mostly white but sometimes has a shade of yellow or blue.

Whats that about?

-tBiM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  10:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As you meditate over time, your neurobiology changes, blockages and energy channels open so that life force, prana, flows freer and can be felt, particularly with eyes closed. This is what Yogani calls ecstatic conductivity (https://www.aypsite.org/169.html). Over time is is easily accessed with attention/intention, and arises naturally when performing asanas. When it first appeared, I would really try to move it about; now I just surrender into whatever flow becomes apparent, and do so with open eyes, (unless in meditation) with the intention of merging my inner and outer worlds.

As far as light play, there is a lot that goes on in the darkness behind the lids, pinpoint stars, bright lights, vapor clouds of color, swirling wormholes, etc.. I believe it is related to the changing nervous system, something to be enjoyed and surrendered. As long as I am not in discomfort, I no longer question each strange sensation or scenery, just chalk it up to inner changes from practice. The randomness and surprise is half the fun.
Go to Top of Page

theBuddhaInMe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2019 :  1:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

As you meditate over time, your neurobiology changes, blockages and energy channels open so that life force, prana, flows freer and can be felt, particularly with eyes closed. This is what Yogani calls ecstatic conductivity (https://www.aypsite.org/169.html). Over time is is easily accessed with attention/intention, and arises naturally when performing asanas. When it first appeared, I would really try to move it about; now I just surrender into whatever flow becomes apparent, and do so with open eyes, (unless in meditation) with the intention of merging my inner and outer worlds.

I cant say I really understand much of this yet...I just started...but I will take your word for it.

quote:

As far as light play, there is a lot that goes on in the darkness behind the lids, pinpoint stars, bright lights, vapor clouds of color, swirling wormholes, etc.. I believe it is related to the changing nervous system, something to be enjoyed and surrendered. As long as I am not in discomfort, I no longer question each strange sensation or scenery, just chalk it up to inner changes from practice. The randomness and surprise is half the fun.

Sounds good. These are just curious questions. I come from a heavy science and technology background, so all this is VERY new and surprising to me.

Lot more to say but will wait for later time..

-tBiM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  09:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forum tBiM!

I look forward to reading your updates

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000