Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Grounding before Pranayama and DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2018 :  03:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Many options have been suggested for grounding: 15 minutes of asana, sitting on earth, electrically connecting yourself to earth with a wire to a buried rod or to a water pipe, and others.

What about just walking outdoors for 20 minutes, without an elevated heart rate?

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2018 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Outside activity is certainly grounding! This time of year (winter) in the northern hemisphere prevents you from having skin touch Earth (gardening, going barefoot, ideal circumstances) but I have found raking leaves or shoveling snow terrificly grounding.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2018 :  11:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another way to stay grounded is to fully engage with life. It is hard to become ungrounded when one takes care of things - children, family, friends, job, house, garden, and so on. Talking about this with a female friend, we both agree that after an intense spiritual experience, the next thing was turning the attention to the daily tasks - and not drifting away from the world. I wonder if this is a more typical reaction for a woman.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2018 :  09:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche and Dogboy, thanks!

Blanche, I'm not sure if this is a more female view. We all have daily tasks. Even if they may not be as solidly directed at the growth and nurturing of the world, they are part of enabling family and the world to progress and grow. Since I first heard of dharma I always thought these were part of dharma. As a Jewish man I also see them as related to the traditional concept of "Tikkun Olam." In Orthodox Judaism it is interpreted as relating to idolatry, and in more modern and liberal Rabbinical views it can be seen as "the establishment of Godly qualities throughout the world." If all of this is related to grounding before meditation, I think I see the grounding activity I would use.

It also suggests to me that Tikkun Olam is potentially related to Samyama and sutras, and to the attempt to improve all the consciousnesses in the world.

In Jewish tradition these are human views, not female or male.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2018 :  08:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken,

Indeed, the spiritual life involves "the establishment of the Godly qualities throughout the world." It does seem to be related to Tikkun Olam, the acts of kindness to repair and perfect the world (that is the case if the world is seen in need of repair and perfecting). But it is more than acts of kindness. Going back to the daily dharma is bringing the silence/realization/Divine closer to all the aspects of existence, embodying and expressing the Godly qualities throughout the world. Traditionally, the spiritual student will go to a cave or monastery, and get away from all the duties of daily existence. Then it is easy to get lost in some extraordinary visions, and walk away from the troubles of ordinary life. But this is just another distraction on the path. When the spiritual practice happens in the context of an ordinary life, the gap between the transcendence and the ordinary life starts to shrink, until one day we might realize that they are not different.

Just as in meditation we easily go back to the mantra when we realize we are off it, after meditation we go back to our ordinary life and we remain grounded in the reality.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  09:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kensbykes100, I like exchanging energy with earth and environment while I walk (non-AYP technique), plus skeletal shaking which is very grounding, specially if you lower your stance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIbHhvY64s
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  10:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chopping wood and gardening works really fine for me ;=)
It is really like a fusion with nature, no thoughts but working in silence, then watching the sunset and get back home to rest near the chimney.

P.S.: 4 to 5 bodybuilding trainings per week helps too !

Edited by - Apkallu on Dec 18 2018 11:04:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Willpower, I do this too, especially in moments of waiting. Running your palms over skin surface, as the yogi does in the video, is a fantastic way of condensing, and closing the practice. I end my asana practice with the same intent.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2018 :  01:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000