Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 AYP and PTSD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  2:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone... I was more or less reluctant in terms of reccomending AYP to patients with PTSD because I was told often that this could lead to an undesired outcome. As we all now - yoga can lead to undesired outcome if applied in the wrong way, but I don't see any advantage in keeping AYP away from people because of their past (or in general). So recently I was talking to a patient that I know for long time and mentioned AYP. She is interested in any form of support so she considers AYP. She is still on the ward so I will have more possibilities to talk to her in the next days. That's why I seek your advice. Are there any special precautions that I should mention? Are there any special dynamics that should be taken into consideration?
The global purifying effect of DM - especially with AYAM only - will help her to address the traces of her trauma - but will she be more likely to run into difficulties when obstructions become released (even if she self-paces correctly and applies the practices with common sense and in line with the instructions)?

Btw. aren't we all traumatised - if not in this, than in a previous life? Are experiences respectively obstructions of the current life stored in another way/layer and therefore different in their way of influence experience when getting released?

Thank you all for your advice

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  8:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing extra other than following standard guidelines is needed. If she goes through a very rough patch, perhaps you might consider adding her name to the samyama healing list, here in this site. That would benefit her a lot at that time.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  10:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what "ward" you are talking about. A psych ward? If so, grounding and interactions with people might be the best way to go.

Go to Top of Page

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  10:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jusmail ... good idea with the samyama list ... Though, I don't see her unless she is in hospital - hopefully not because of a "rough patch" - so I will not know about her condition... she told me that her english is quite bad but I'll tell her about the forum anyways...
Thanks again

Edited by - yo_gi on Jun 14 2018 4:28:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  03:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey lalow ... sorry for the delayed respond but i couldn't see your post until now!?! Yes it's a psychiatric ward for crisis intervention. She is not doing any form of yoga yet ... just interested in additional help to overcome her traumatic experiences. She is well integrated in the group and also spends time outside doing walks.
You bring up an interesting point. If she could suffer from overload because of the traumatic experinces although she is not doing any form of practice. I think this can very much be the case with people in her situation depending on the condition of the nervous system when the trauma happens. I don't think this might well be so with her but I'll talk to her about it to make sure. Thank you for the hint

Edit: Trauma happened decades ago, she sometimes just gets triggered which increases the symtoms (which I would not relate to overload)... but still a good point... thanks again

Edited by - yo_gi on Jun 15 2018 03:54:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  03:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I was more or less reluctant in terms of reccomending AYP to patients with PTSD because I was told often that this could lead to an undesired outcome. As we all now - yoga can lead to undesired outcome if applied in the wrong way, but I don't see any advantage in keeping AYP away from people because of their past (or in general). So recently I was talking to a patient that I know for long time and mentioned AYP. She is interested in any form of support so she considers AYP. She is still on the ward so I will have more possibilities to talk to her in the next days.

That's why I seek your advice. Are there any special precautions that I should mention? Are there any special dynamics that should be taken into consideration?
The global purifying effect of DM - especially with AYAM only - will help her to address the traces of her trauma - but will she be more likely to run into difficulties when obstructions become released (even if she self-paces correctly and applies the practices with common sense and in line with the instructions)?

Btw. aren't we all traumatised - if not in this, than in a previous life? Are experiences respectively obstructions of the current life stored in another way/layer and therefore different in their way of influence experience when getting released?

Hi yogi,

I wish I could give the answers but I can't. If you are drawn to share AYP with patients this is not for nothing. Go for it. For one patient it will open a new world, the other will put it aside.

I can share with you that my hubby (policeman) started with yoga/meditation after being diagnosed with PTSD (10 years ago). He had a psychologist and a program for some time, after that he started (and still does) with weekly classes yoga/meditation.
He is not a daily practitioner but even then it made a world of difference in his being over the years.
Last year he had a special day at work for PTSD diagnosed policeman.

He came back and said to me, I do not belong there anymore, those people are all victims, they keep repeating the same over and over, the role of victim became there life. I opened my eyes and look further.

Of-course all tragedies he saw are inside him and probably will be there forever, he never could do the same work he did before. But he had the possibility to let go, to let it be (that was not an easy proces) and went on. Found himself a new job within the police. His view is in the present moment, he doesn't identify himself with the past. And from there he lives. Last week he retired after 37 years of police work.

PS Looking back after many years, he can see that practicing yoga gave him the insights he needed (and the psychologist that get him so far that he started to talk and write about his feelings)

Edited by - Charliedog on Jun 15 2018 07:06:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  08:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cd

Thank you for sharing and your encouragement.

I also found this older thread of the ayp forums

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...&whichpage=1

very touching and helpful...

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  10:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing the link yogi, this is indeed very touching and helpful.....

All we need to heal we have inside, magical

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  01:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogi, I have read that Tapping (EFT) has had very good results with people with trauma.
Go to Top of Page

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  03:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will Power thank you very much for your input . I haven't heard about that technique so far but it seems to be an easy way to support healing and I'll let her know about it. However I think she should stay within the system of AYP only for now. Still I appreciate your hint very much and I will also talk about that with one of our therapists.

Edited by - yo_gi on Jun 17 2018 05:37:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  7:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yogi,

I look at things a bit differently. Aren't obstructions already being released? That's why she is in the psych ward. She can't handle what's coming up. I say this as someone who worked in a group home for the mentally ill for 5 years, in the states, several years ago.

My personal experience is that there ain't some nice way around stuff. I meet yogis and yoginis that disagree. Maybe, it's different for different people?
Go to Top of Page

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  07:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lalow33... first of all I have to say that I actually do not know what a traumatic experience actually does to the nervous system (samkaras?). I think I do understand/see that karma is the result of past actions that leads to latent impressions respectively obstructions (however you may call it). The law of cause and effect on a very subtle energetical level related to action. That is definitely the case for the one who commits the trauma to another person. But I don't know in who far that leads to karmic consequences to the victim. Maybe it's the following up doing of the victim that arises out of the traumatic experience (samskaras) and which in turn leads to the karmic results. This is my comprehension of things - everybody is welcome to chime in and improve my view! Especially in how far there is a difference between samskaras (result of sensual experience - like a trauma or anything else) and a karmic obstruction (result of a past action mental, verbal or physical).
But as I said I don't really know. I assume that theese are such basic principles that they can be regarded as the same for all people. But the continuum of perspective that different people inhabit in different spectra brings the relative factor in the game. So I think you are right - it is different for different people depending on their actual perspective.
In the end it's about adressing all that...thank god we have such global practices that take care of all of that
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000