Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Samatha meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnmjm

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  7:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
I am new to this site which I find Truly amazing for the information and experience that is shared.
I'm interested to know if anyone has practised Samatha Buddhist meditation and what they thought of it.
Many Thanks

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello John

Welcome to the AYP forum.

I haven't practised Buddhism as such, but I understand there are some similarities between Samatha and the AYP meditation. It makes a lot of sense for a beginner to start with a form of meditation that focuses on an object, whether it is the breath or a mantra.

Maybe somebody who has direct experience with Buddhist meditation will reply, but don't be too surprised if they don't. We are mostly AYPers here, practising by the method described in the lessons on this website.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2018 :  09:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Samatha meditation is quite similar to AYP Deep Meditation practice. As you know, the main difference is that with Samatha practice, usually the breath is used as a meditation object. In AYP, the breath can be used as a meditation object, but it is usually only used if the practitioner is too sensitive to the AYP mantras, including AYAM.

In AYP, there are reasons why a mantra is used as the primary meditation object. The first reason, is that a mantra has a subtle vibration to it, which is more powerful than the subtle vibration of the breath. The second reason is that a mantra is a more subtle object than the breath, so it can be used at deeper levels of samadhi.

Which object you should use, really depends on what you are most drawn towards. If you are more drawn to using Samatha meditation, then I would say, go for it. You can always switch to AYP practice later, if you are drawn to using a more powerful approach. Or you may want to start out using the mantra. It is up to you.

Whichever meditation object you use, the effects in terms of calming and stilling the mind will be the same for the most part. So, there is no big difference there. And then the effects in terms of developing insight (vipassana) into the true nature of reality, which arises naturally from a calm and silent mind, will also be very similar.

See here for a full description of Breathing Meditation:

https://www.secretsofyoga.org/breat...itation.html

Christi.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2018 :  11:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

I practiced for some years meditation with the breath as object. I did not know this was called Samatha Buddhist meditation. I practiced also during daily live, awareness of breath, it felt kind of natural to me and it made me very aware of the present moment, it felt really good. However at a certain moment I started to have a desire for more and I was looking for a teacher who could bring me further (if we could say it this way) I was looking especially for mantra and I do not know exactly why. The sutras of Patanjali spoke to me and I started searching on the internet for mantra meditation and samyama and more... this is how I found AYP. Breathing meditation was there first, before I changed to DM and samyama. Observing the breath became my normal state. Whenever I am alone, walking, working, waking up, I observe the breath, its my way to be present I guess.

Wishing you the best on your journey
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  09:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by johnmjm

Hello All,
I am new to this site which I find Truly amazing for the information and experience that is shared.
I'm interested to know if anyone has practised Samatha Buddhist meditation and what they thought of it.
Many Thanks

There are many different forms of Samatha/Shine meditation.

As mentioned early the most common is used with the breath which is very different than AYP mantra meditation.

Shine with Object is where one uses an object, a rock, candle, a letter as a point of focus. The goal is to focus in a relaxed manner where one experiences silence.

As one is able to maintain this focus longer and with greater ease they then move on to Shine without Object. The goal at this point is first, maintain that same silence without an object to focus on. Then to relax ones focus and feel the thoughts as silent flows of energy. Over time one is able to maintain this state as one goes about their daily life. This is called Natural Shine.

Here is a link to some additional information on the practice and the various stages.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...ght=dzogchen

Hope that helps,

Tom

Edited by - jonesboy on Jun 05 2018 4:22:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  2:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom,

If it's someone new to meditation, you are talking about silence, then thought flows, It's not gonna make much sense.

Your crappy friend,
Lori

Edited by - lalow33 on Jun 05 2018 2:39:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

johnmjm

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  3:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear All,
Thank you very much for your insight and experience expressed here concerning Samatha meditation.
I know with years of practising this you advance through the various Jhanas and if your lucky you could reach your goal of enlightenment, has anyone experienced these it would be interesting to hear.
Its just I'm kind of feeling let down with the lack of emphasis on God and being self realised. Am I being foolish to be thinking this its just I feel that I'm drawn to God and that meditation is a spiritual practice rather than having your goal as enlightenment.
Thank you all
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  4:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Tom,

If it's someone new to meditation, you are talking about silence, then thought flows, It's not gonna make much sense.

Your crappy friend,
Lori

That is why I provided the link. Also, you never know the level of experience of those looking for answers. Well, I don't tend to check anyways. You think I should?

P.S. Far from a crappy friend. A missed one is more like it.

Edited by - jonesboy on Jun 05 2018 5:17:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry johnmjm,

Buddhist meditation ( to my knowledge) is not God centric.

Maybe, create a new topic?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  02:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Its just I'm kind of feeling let down with the lack of emphasis on God and being self realised. Am I being foolish to be thinking this its just I feel that I'm drawn to God and that meditation is a spiritual practice rather than having your goal as enlightenment.

The fact that Buddhism doesn't explicitly talk about God doesn't mean that practitioners do not find the same experiences through their practice as those who are driven by devotion to God. Yogani explains this well in Lesson 20 - Enlightenment without God?

The million dollar question is: Are you making progress?
Your feeling of being let down may be an indication that the practice you have been doing is not the right one for you. Have you been practising Samatha meditation on a regular basis and if yes, for how long now?

If you have been practising for a significant length of time, but are not noticing progress, then it might be time to look around for other forms of meditation, or indeed for other systems of practice, and experiment a little till you find the right one for you.

Good luck!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jun 06 2018 10:01:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  09:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dear All,
Thank you very much for your insight and experience expressed here concerning Samatha meditation.
I know with years of practising this you advance through the various Jhanas and if your lucky you could reach your goal of enlightenment, has anyone experienced these it would be interesting to hear.
Thank you all

More than willing to discuss any of the stages mentioned in the link as well as anything to do with divine beings such as connecting to them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000