Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Meditation disturbing sleep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

benjamin

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  6:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I am having an issue with meditation. If I meditate for 10 minutes in the morning, that night I would abruptly wake up in the middle of the night and the rest of the night will have poor sleep quality. I experience a lot of irritation and anxiety the following day.

I tried doing Nadi shodhana before meditation but it didn’t make any difference. If I do only Nadi shodhana without meditation, this will not happen. But I really enjoy the meditation session.

It is very disappointing.

What should I do? Please advise.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  03:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Benjamin, welcome to the forum

Are you practising the AYP deep meditation using the mantra I AM?

You are right, discontinuing meditation and doing just nadi shodhana is not a good idea. You need to find a form of meditation on which you are stable. If mantra meditation is too strong, AYP recommends replacing the mantra with the breath as the meditation object. The rest of the procedure is the same. See details in Lesson 367

Also it would be a good idea to do some grounding activities. How do you spend your day after the morning mediation session? Do you have a chance to go out for a good long walk for instance?
Go to Top of Page

afonsolfm

Portugal
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  1:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste,

Probably you have a lot of feelings bubbling up just from a simple meditation session. That can be a good thing but often uncomfortable.
I would try out BlueRaincoat advice. Also consider reducing the time of your meditation. Or if you're brave, try pushing it for a week to see if it goes away naturally.

Go to Top of Page

benjamin

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  8:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Hello Benjamin, welcome to the forum

Are you practising the AYP deep meditation using the mantra I AM?

You are right, discontinuing meditation and doing just nadi shodhana is not a good idea. You need to find a form of meditation on which you are stable. If mantra meditation is too strong, AYP recommends replacing the mantra with the breath as the meditation object. The rest of the procedure is the same. See details in Lesson 367

Also it would be a good idea to do some grounding activities. How do you spend your day after the morning mediation session? Do you have a chance to go out for a good long walk for instance?

No, I am using a different mantra. Never tried I AM mantra.

I tried to replace mantra with breath, but (just my experience) breath meditation was so bland compared to mantra meditation. Mantra meditation is very deep.

I tried different grounding activities, taking a cold bath, eating a heavy dinner, going out etc. But none of them made any difference.
Go to Top of Page

benjamin

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  8:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by afonsolfm

Namaste,

Probably you have a lot of feelings bubbling up just from a simple meditation session. That can be a good thing but often uncomfortable.
I would try out BlueRaincoat advice. Also consider reducing the time of your meditation. Or if you're brave, try pushing it for a week to see if it goes away naturally.

I really wanted to tough it out. I tried for 15 days but it was still there. And it was actually getting more challenging. So, I stopped it.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2018 :  06:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

90benjammin

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  9:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
With breath count one on in one on exhale. Repeat up to 10 then start over. This is mantra with breath and the first step to reaching calm. Now you are calm your breath is naturally slower and 10% of focus is on breath/mantea and 90% on nothing. Now slow down to the point where you begin to pause inbetween breaths. In these pauses notice what is left when 100% focus is on nothing. Whats left? Can you focus on the space in the mind and enter the formless? Now you may be in the formless infinitude of space so let go again and enter the infinitude of consciousness that is the knower of the infinitude of space. You can enter this space off the cushion to immediately let go of thoughts or holding it as mindfulness object and your ego will almost be dead. NOW back on the cushion chilling in the infinitude of consiousness LET GO and enter nothingness. Upon entering and sustaining nothingness LET GO and enter neither perception nor non perception. Finally the formless headgod has become one with your mind and you have been reborn a god/buddha. This is now your effortless object of mindfullness that is you with absolutly no ego, no feelinga of pleasure or pain or craving. A state far more liberating than vipassana. Now the formless headgod can take the form of ANY form. Shall you be a buddha, a arahat or become one with jesus christs spirit the choixe is yours and you have reached the ultimate liberation. Please see my post on formless medtation it is in top of this forum in same section. I reached this state with no teacher with horrible adhd and with only 1 year of limited meditation practice. Good luck and happy meditations. I would reccommend staying in each state about 5-20 minutes and you can certainly reach head formless god within your mind in a one hour sit. May you mever suffer another day of your life. Its that easy and you may never find out what it means if you dont go try. #9996;#65039;
Go to Top of Page

90benjammin

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  9:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your mantra may be bringing up uneeded emotions. Try and make it impersonal. I am is used to realize there is no awnser. It is much wasier to ise a number or non personal object. Stop identifing with your mantra let go and enter the formless. WAKE UP! Its that easy..
Go to Top of Page

90benjammin

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  10:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mich wiser to use*** attaching to breath helps because more to focus on than just counting and it can result in calm to the point of easily entering the formless when you have moments of stopped breath. Remember that once you enter the formless you can then stay there and drop your mantra and focus on nothing but the mind itself. Mindfuless associated witn form is distracting/multi-tasking and using effort while formless mindfulness is liberating and ceases to need for meditation for meditation leads to the goal and the path is over in one sense when you get there
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000