Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Sleep improvement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  04:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I´m doing well on my Yoga path and experiencing positive changes in my life. The only thing I´m still struggling with is falling asleep. It is something I had all my life. Mostly I have thougths or just need time to fall asleep. Others just go to bed and immediately fall asleep.

Is there a technique in Yoga which could support falling asleep?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  09:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fmyoga
Mostly I have thougths or just need time to fall asleep. Others just go to bed and immediately fall asleep.

My first piece of advice would be to go easy about it. Not everyone is the same. Give yourself a bit of space. If your mind needs to churn through some thoughts before it settles down, that's OK.

You can gently try to turn your attention to how your body feels, but without fighting the thoughts. Or you can just let it be. As you progress with your meditation practice, the thoughts will gradually lose steam and you will fall asleep sooner. You will get there. One step at a time.
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  11:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great advice. So I would do an effrotless kind of Bodyscan, not forcing my attention on the Body if thoughts come up? Kind of like effortlessly like in Meditaion?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  1:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, effortlessly favour bodily sensations.
It could be something like a body scan, or just feeling the weight of your body sinking into the mattress, the muscles letting go, or the belly moving with the breadth - whatever draws your attention first.
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2018 :  07:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It actually helped me to fall asleep yesterday. Felt really natural to easily focus on my body and I got tired fast. I will continue with that :)
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  05:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried the 4-7-8 Breathing before sleeping and found it really helpful. Is it actually a Pranayama and how is it called? Would you say that it is okay to do this kind of pranayama before sleeping or would it interfere with other practices?
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  1:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I tried the 4-7-8 Breathing before sleeping and found it really helpful. Is it actually a Pranayama and how is it called? Would you say that it is okay to do this kind of pranayama before sleeping or would it interfere with other practices?

A few rounds of gentle pranayama before sleep should be okay, as long as you are able to keep concentration and the breath soft so consciousness may slip away. I am at a stage that I fall into bliss as soon I close my eyes; i acknowledge that I can't fight it and 'find' a sweet spot to let go. If I allowed myself to concentrate on it too much, I would get over-aroused and be awake for awhile. Pranayama is another of your many yoga practices, so only you can judge if it is interfering or not. Body scanning is a terrific way to set up for sleep.

Often upon awakening in the morning, I am well aware by the buzz in my upper chakras that purification was ongoing thoughout sleep. I believe Yogani refers to this as the 'flywheel effect' which may or may not alter how I approach my morning meditation.
Go to Top of Page

fmyoga

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  6:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dogboy! I really liked to do this kind of Pranayama, it is fairly simple : https://www.drweil.com/videos-featu...-7-8-breath/
I will try to only do it if I don´t feel like I can start sleeping and see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000