AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Breathing and the asanas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rae

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  12:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rae's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have the book on Asanas mudras bandhas. In the section on asanas, there doesn't appear to be any instruction on the inhalation/exhalation. For example the cobra pose. Surely there must be a recommended way of breathing when doing these? Or is it not important for some positions?

For example in the listed #4 pose, this exercise becomes maha mudra when combined with instruction with the inhalation exhalation and how long you hold pose. But do the other positions not all have such changes/additions on inhale,exhale, holding breath, etc.?

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  9:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rae,
If you wonder about breath in asanas, you have probably built enough prana in your system to feel its movement.
"Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual" by David Swenson gives good recommendations for breath patterns during asanas. An experienced yoga teacher could also help. Ultimately, you want to let go of effort, and let Shakti move you. Then, you can feel how the prana and the breath work together. You can experiment to see how the breath influences the flow of prana and the energy in chakras. For example, in cobra, you could inhale and lengthen the spine, and exhale and open the chest, while relaxing the shoulders. Continue for 2-5 minutes. Release, and rest for a minute. The heart chakra blossoms with energy, and emotionally you become aware of love, compassion, kindness. Then, do the cobra again, and this time inhale and visualize bright white energy coming up the legs, accumulating in the heart. Exhale and release the heart energy, bathing the world in love. Continue to hold the posture and breathe this way for 2-5 minutes. Release and rest a minute. Notice the differences between the two postures in the body state, energy, emotions, mental state.

Ultimately, asanas are a surrender to Kundalini Shakti, the inner Divine, to move us and mold us into the radiant beings that we are destined to be. I am looking forward to having more AYP retreats soon where we could practice together.

I would like to know how your practice goes. Best wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  06:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Ultimately, you want to let go of effort, and let Shakti move you. Then, you can feel how the prana and the breath work together.

This is my experience now that prana is aroused. Asana class has now come alive!
Go to Top of Page

Rae

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  10:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rae's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

Hi Rae,
If you wonder about breath in asanas, you have probably built enough prana in your system to feel its movement.
"Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual" by David Swenson gives good recommendations for breath patterns during asanas. An experienced yoga teacher could also help. Ultimately, you want to let go of effort, and let Shakti move you. Then, you can feel how the prana and the breath work together. You can experiment to see how the breath influences the flow of prana and the energy in chakras. For example, in cobra, you could inhale and lengthen the spine, and exhale and open the chest, while relaxing the shoulders. Continue for 2-5 minutes. Release, and rest for a minute. The heart chakra blossoms with energy, and emotionally you become aware of love, compassion, kindness. Then, do the cobra again, and this time inhale and visualize bright white energy coming up the legs, accumulating in the heart. Exhale and release the heart energy, bathing the world in love. Continue to hold the posture and breathe this way for 2-5 minutes. Release and rest a minute. Notice the differences between the two postures in the body state, energy, emotions, mental state.

Ultimately, asanas are a surrender to Kundalini Shakti, the inner Divine, to move us and mold us into the radiant beings that we are destined to be. I am looking forward to having more AYP retreats soon where we could practice together.

I would like to know how your practice goes. Best wishes!

Hello: Thank you for that. I will try the two different ways and see what I notice. Best Wishes to you too!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000