Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LittleKid

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  11:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Message
Here is a short lecture given
by Sadhguru on how to stop the minds chatter.
https://youtu.be/LNyJgNjCDuU

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  4:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
He's coming to Tampa, Florida in a few weeks, and I've got a ticket to see him. I'm hoping I will get a chance to ask him a question during the Q&A.
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  02:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a facebook friend who has pictures with the Sadhguru that are really candid, like they are just hanging out. I actually don't know much about him but he seems to be genuine.

Will be very interested to hear your report after seeing him in Tampa Bodhi Tree!
Go to Top of Page

LittleKid

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  11:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi Tree, What question do you want to ask him.?
Go to Top of Page

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  12:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Bodhi,

Hope you get to ask the q .. Chances are he will poke at least a little fun at the q.
Let us know.

I heard he is going to conduct his 2 day shambhvi seminar in Chicago in early may. I had participated in it 4 years ago.. Was enjoyable , I won't spoil the fun by describing moRe.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two main questions I would ask, and not sure if I will be able to mesh them into one...

First, as a guru and public figure, how does he steer clear of falling into the illusion of attainment, i.e. "I have arrived"/"I am enlightened"?

Second, does he foresee esoteric spiritual techniques becoming more available via open-source knowledge bases and transmissions? In other words, can we have a spiritual Wikipedia that is non-profit and open to all for consideration?

We'll see. Never a dull moment.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi,

if you have read about his past lifes and watched some of his vids, according to Jaggi he has realized all that can be realized by the grace of his guru's touch after a lifetime of extreme yoga practice; and this two lifetimes ago. Last lifetime he already appeared as a sadhguru, this lifetime again. In his words he programmed his awakening shortly after he has finished his university and started to do business. The process of bringing his enlightenment back into the current body took about 6 weeks to become a permanent stable thing.

So what will he answer, most probably he will speak of two dimensions, the absolute and the relative. The relative is infinite, the absolute is eternal. His eternal nature is ever the same, his relative expression most probably continues to expand. According to his intention after the lifetime of his current physical body he will continue to work for another 80 years without a body and then dissolve back to existence completely.

When it comes to open source you can also find a lot of videos and answers. According to him receiving yoga from an accomplished yogi is of highest importance, still he offers a yoga for all and a yoga for those who want to be initiated. His yoga for all you can find under "isha kriya". And the others are quite numerous, so no further insight into that at the moment :P

All I could find out is, that his main focus is not on transforming the karma of the body-mind (too much) but to create a distance between what you really are and what is the body-mind and by this being able to use the very same body-mind 10 times better. His "open-source" isha kriya goes in that direction, but his shambhavi maha mudra also seems to go in that direction, only perhaps more intensly?

Lately he has braught hatha yoga into his offering as he has learned from his guru-lineage, which traces back to a Swami Palani who lived for 160 years. His guru brothers also seemed to be extraordinary yogis. If you trace the linegeage back you come to Siddha Bhoganathar, who is a brother to Gorakshanath (who is Babaji according to Gurunath) and these siddhas are tracked back to Adiyogi, also known as Shiva.

There is a clear word in yogic terminology called kaivalya or mukti, meaning liberation. I am not sure if there exists an illusion of having attained liberation/mukti. In Jaggi's definition mukti is seeing clearly you are not the body, not the mind, not the universe and free to withdraw or to play with it. And his definition of enlightenment is perceiving oneself as one with all, or in other words, if you cannot differentate between what is you and what is not you.

Just wrote these down for you to not get the same answers to questions he has been confronted with already :)

The biggest queston here would be, since how many yers does he teach yoga and how many of his students have become a second sadhguru in which timeframe? And what are his estimations regarding the spiritual process as he calls it and the timeframe needed for enlightenment or mukti by the practice of this or that of his techniques.

The second interesting question here would be, according to him the sequence of yoga asanas is very very important. Yogani also has composed his set of asanas. Now according to Jaggi there can only be one sequence, as every of the 84 asanas are related to one specific chakra (out of 114) and the order of these chakras relate to a cosmic happening of the creations and dissolutions of 84 universes (30 more to come to complete a yet bigger cycle). By the practice of a wrong sequence the flow of life may get disturbed very seriously as he says. So a more open-source contribution in this regard may perhaps beneficial to see if the already existing asana sets are in tune or not.Yogani's asana composition seems to be based on his own inner experiences.

Perhaps an even bigger question would be, can you touch me like your guru has touched you :P

Just putting some questions to the pool,
you will go by what is most important for you :)

A happy event to you,
and happy practice to all :)
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  1:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi Tree he'll probably see the "Guru in You" right off and just dance around your probing questions.

It'll be fun to hear from you if he answers though.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  10:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

His "open-source" isha kriya [...]

You're mistaken, Holy. It's not open-source. It's closed source. One of his volunteers asked Yogani to remove an Isha technique from the AYP forum, and Yogani understandably obliged. If Sadhguru's techniques were open source, he wouldn't have his minions scouring the Internet to quarantine or censor the dissemination of his techniques. He would let the teachings flow freely, without trying monetize, trademark, or confine them.

quote:

Perhaps an even bigger question would be, can you touch me like your guru has touched you :P

That is not an even bigger question. That is a more trivial, backwards question. My experience of The Divine, with His/Her/Its Infinite Majesty, falls in the line with "the guru is in you" mentality...not so much with the guru-disciple lineage you are putting on a pedestal. I'm not seeking shaktipat from him; I'm seeking to envision and clarify the trajectory of global enlightenment. And since I'm thoroughly convinced that global enlightenment will occur with open-source knowledge leading the way, we might as well dissolve the paradigms that are obstructing the free flow of information, right? Such loving dissolution can come in the form of courteous inquiry, which is my objective.

quote:

According to his intention after the lifetime of his current physical body he will continue to work for another 80 years without a body and then dissolve back to existence completely.

LMAO! Are you kidding? I understand the importance of a long-term view, hence my concern with global enlightenment, but that's some serious long-term planning. Makes me think of the saying: "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

Anyway, I do enjoy Sadhguru's little speeches, and that's why I'm going. I'm not trying to be clever and snide. I'm trying to be authentic, real, and close to the Heart. I will keep ecstatic bliss at the forefront, and try to keep my cleverness in its proper place, which, ideally, will be aligned with the presence of ecstatic bliss itself.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  11:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

Bodhi Tree he'll probably see the "Guru in You" right off and just dance around your probing questions.

It'll be fun to hear from you if he answers though.

Doesn't the Truth beg to be probed?--hopefully with some finesse?
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  10:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

You're mistaken, Holy. It's not open-source. It's closed source. One of his volunteers asked Yogani to remove an Isha technique from the AYP forum, and Yogani understandably obliged. If Sadhguru's techniques were open source, he wouldn't have his minions scouring the Internet to quarantine or censor the dissemination of his techniques. He would let the teachings flow freely, without trying monetize, trademark, or confine them.

Bodhi Tree: This is a question not just to Sadhguru, but to many teachers of today. They all charge a pretty high sum and therefore refuse to open their teachings. And in many schools the lessons are diced and sliced to the extent that the student is forced to pay for each tiny bit.

I used to (and continue to, hence this post!) get irked by this fact, but these days, I am just taking it as a lesson in life to practice tolerance. If these schools are flourishing, that means there are people ready to accept that tradition - If they are doing any good by attracting people to spirituality in their own way, let them do it .. over time, those teachings that do not have sincere content and purpose will wither off, but right now if they are doing any good in bringing people to get started, that may be a big step. I would think it like the difference between MS windows and Open Office (or Apple versus Android). Some people are drawn to one and some to the other.

Another point is that we pay for everything in life, including good education. So what is wrong with paying $500 or $1000 for a practice that may be life changing, if people are ready to pay. That is meager in comparison with medical bills or college fees, which we don't question as much. When it comes to spiritual knowledge, why should it be free? But of course it is a concern if this knowledge is accessible to only those who can afford - as long as we have both types of schools, AYPs and Sadhgurus, knowledge will reach the masses somehow.

Perhaps the world needs all types of schools to reach out to as many as possible ... spiritual schools like Sadhguru's that operate like businesses have an advantage of money and they are at least sowing seeds of enlightenment in the masses. I am beginning to think that the global enlightenment journey maybe messy, with many schools and many teachings .. but at the end, it may reach a purer AYP-ish route ...? New things seem never straight forward and clear-cut in human history - a lot of meandering and clumsiness happens on the way ... perhaps we are in that confused times ... ? Just thoughts, open questions ..

edit: BTW, I too enjoyed his youtube videos, used to spend hours listening to them an year ago

Edited by - dv2014 on Apr 10 2015 10:14:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Great points, dv2014. I especially like your contrast between Apple vs. Android software/operating systems.

Yes, seems like we have to pay for more and more in life. Perhaps breathing in the air will one day have a price tag. Actually, now that I think about it, you can buy an oxygen tank, so even the most fundamental activity of sustaining life in the body has been made a commodity for the capitalist market.

I don't think it will last though. If the greatest resource is indeed stillness, and thereby stillness in action, that is the ONE thing that cannot be sold as a commodity. If we can truly generate something from nothing, then our focus will shift more to cultivating miracles from the infinite source, rather than being so obsessed with its products.

Is it really that hard to imagine a system in which currency is either nonexistent or significantly devalued? Not to make this an economic discussion, but I'm merely pointing out that as we continue to transform on a large scale, it is likely that our methods of exchange will become more reflective of samyama principles and less about overly possessive maneuvers.

Anyway, Sadhguru is fine. Totally fine. He is helping. I feel lucky to attend his satsang. And I feel lucky to inquire into my Self, which is also him.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  10:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
power to the people
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  1:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi,

what was meant was this one:

Theory + practice

It is most probably still the property of Isha Foundation, therefore the "" around "open source" :)

But yeah friend, ultimately whatever works. Every sadhguru like Jaggi is a paranormal enrichment for everyone and everything. This is why a Bodhi Tree sadhguru would be very much welcome ;)

Happy practice friends,
no offense here,
all love!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Some good ol' neti neti, eh? Not the body, not the mind. I use a different algorithm. I affirm and negate in conjunction: I am NOT body/mind, and I AM body/mind. That is fullness. That is wholeness. That is the recipe for divine love.

Body/mind is an extension of Self, and therefore not separate. Getting attached to detachment is tricky, but easily remedied by recognizing the paradoxical truth of BOTH/AND realities. (EITHER/OR is more of a mental game).

Happy practice, and wishing you abundant fruit from cause and effect!
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  2:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bodhi Tree for your thoughts. Wish you have a great time and hope you get to ask the questions. I'd love to hear how he replied.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  02:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
So...I wasn't quick enough on the draw. I raised my hand too late and didn't get called on. Oh well, I'm plowing ahead with my website to continue the open-source tradition.

Seeing Sadhguru was like watching a band and wanting to be on stage instead of in the audience. I'm appreciative of his presence, but I feel like I can do so much better. But he's put in the time, and that's what matters, so all I have to do is put in my time. Time will tell, as they say.

His guided meditation consisted of some breath awareness followed by his trademark neti neti gimmick of endlessly repeating: "I am not the body; I am not even the mind." I just tuned him out, went into advanced kechari, and started some samyama.

Prior to the meditation, he told some funny stories and jokes, which were cutting and insightful. He demonstrates good cheer. But he also spent way too much time harping on the pitfalls of suffering, in a kind of condescending way. He spoke of the importance and necessity of bliss and joy as the antidote to suffering, but he was not so demonstrative in manifesting those qualities to the audience as he was stretching out his glib humor.

All in all, a great learning lesson, and an inspiration for me to go BEYOND in the realm of performance, teaching, and facilitating global enlightenment.

Victory!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  1:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback, Bodhi .
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  7:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Bodhi_Tree!

Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2015 :  10:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
The frickin' future looks bright with straight up reviews of a guru's views.
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2015 :  08:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been intrigued by this guruji lately, and came here to check if anyone would have any experience of him / his teaching. And of course there was :) Thanks for this thread.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  11:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
I also went to the Chicago Shambhavi Mahamudra event with Sadhguru. I never cease to be amazed by Sadhgurus humor, radiance, piercing logic, wisdom, etc. And so far i haven't heard anything by Yogani or Sadhguru that isn't on the same page philosophically.

Unless someone's an out an out fraud who does more harm than good to their followers, we should vocally support any efforts to bring spirituality to the masses (who are miserable with the destructive religion of divisiveness, status and materialism).

Edited by - MrCuddly on Oct 26 2015 12:55:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2016 :  01:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm posting to this dormant thread as it is related to Sadhguru. He says relentless pursuit of external information is useless as far as making one happy is concerned and that one should look inward. That sounds sensible and you would expect him or his followers to come out and say, ok I looked inward, this is what I found. Which can be lets say for example (writing from things that are close to my own heart):
So I have been having this ailment for an unknown reason, and I tuned inward into my spine and located what karma is causing it and took steps to burn it, and cured the ailment.
So this organ of me got paralyzed and doctors didn't have a clue, and I tuned inward to become one with the consciousness flowing into the organ, injected my will into it and got it to work again.
So my symphatetic nervous system had been out of whack following a post traumatic stress and I suffered my insomnia and erectile dysfunction for years, and I went into samadhi, tuned the nervous system, and got it all fixed.
etc.

Isn't that what you would expect from knowing yourself from the inside? Any of the above could be considered as an example of applied spiritual practices.

But when you look at his actual practices, it is always about nihilism. Distance yourself from the body. Distance yourself from past karmas. Destroy your past karamas (sachita karams) so there is no future birth. Not that nihilism is unique to Sadhguru but why speak about knowing from the inside at all if all you care about is destroying existence? He says one gets tired of repeated human existence and wants to get rid of it and find out what is next (which no one says what it is). Then why all the lecture about how magnificent the body is and all that? Someone comes to you trying to know the mystery of creation and you lead him on saying all that can be done, but when he sits for practice all you say is how to destroy existence for good. Why can't there be any intermediate steps? Why can't I live well, why all the focus on leaving? 3.7 billion years of evolution, and I can't spend a few years enjoying realizing my own journey from a single cell to a human, and sharing the joy with family and friends? Vivekananda, Sadhguru, all these guys just saying, leave, leave, leave. And never saying where. I know I'm taking a stand from a what-science-can-see, no soul, earthly evolution only stance, but so are these guys saying individual souls exist (or atleast Vivekananda did, not sure about Sadhguru). If personal exploration and finding truth for oneself is what they preach, where does the leave, leave, leave fit it with that?

Edited by - FakeYogi on Sep 05 2016 07:06:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2016 :  07:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by FakeYogi

3.7 billion years of evolution, and I can't spend a few years enjoying realizing my own journey from a single cell to a human, and sharing the joy with family and friends?

That reminded me of a scene from The Big Lebowski:

Waitress: Could you please keep your voices down? This is a family restaurant.
Walter: Oh, please dear! I've got news for you: the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint!
Dude: Walter, this isn't a First Amendment thing.
Waitress: Sir, if you don't calm down I'm going to have to ask you to leave.
Walter: Lady, I got buddies who died face-down in the muck so you and I could enjoy this family restaurant!
Dude: All right, I'm leaving. I'm sorry ma'am.
Walter: Don't run away from this, Dude! Goddamnit, this affects all of us! Our basic freedoms! [Long pause]. I'm staying. Finishing my coffee...finishing my coffee.

Hold your ground, FakeYogi, hold your ground. I'm also here to arrive, so I empathize. Plenty of miracles still to be experienced on the Earth plane. I'm far from bored or tired as of yet. Game on.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  02:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of Osho
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2018 :  8:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Osho looks more realized to me. I don’t trust realized men who blink 30 times a minute . When my mind silenced my need to blink vanished .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000