AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Mantralogy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  10:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I remember reading in Swami Rama's book "Living with the Himalayan Masters" that he used to collect mantras like he would collect physical objects. Where can I find these mantras and their documentation - is there a book of some sort that lists most of the meaningful mantras out there?

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  02:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yogamonster,

Yes, there's quite a few books on mantras.
For instance "Healing Mantras" and "Shakti Mantras", both by Thomas Ashley Farrand; and "Mantram Book" by Eknath Easwaran.
If you're interested I can give you a more extended list of sound therapy books.

Popular singers and teachers like Krishna Das and Robert Gass have written books on mantra singing as well. You can listen to their music and talks on mantra singing on youtube to see if you like.

On this forum itself you can find people reporting benefits and effects from practicing with different mantras.
One of those posts that comes to my mind now is by kami who has done a lot of mantra sadhana over extended periods of time: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=13339

Some schools of yoga focus mainly on sadhana with (inner) sound; you may research laya yoga and nada yoga to know more about this.

Omsat

quote:
Originally posted by yogamonster

I remember reading in Swami Rama's book "Living with the Himalayan Masters" that he used to collect mantras like he would collect physical objects. Where can I find these mantras and their documentation - is there a book of some sort that lists most of the meaningful mantras out there?

Go to Top of Page

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  1:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

Thanks for your message. The Mantram Handbook by Eknath Easwaran seems to be the kind of book I was looking for.

I read through all the main lessons on the AYP website, and it seemed to me that the whole thing is based around the cocept of inner silence, which in turn is cultivated primarily by the use of mantras. So I became curious as to where, for example, the I AM mantra came from, and what other mantras were out there.

Thanks again for your help!
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  9:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Omsat,

Thanks for your message. The Mantram Handbook by Eknath Easwaran seems to be the kind of book I was looking for.

I read through all the main lessons on the AYP website, and it seemed to me that the whole thing is based around the cocept of inner silence, which in turn is cultivated primarily by the use of mantras. So I became curious as to where, for example, the I AM mantra came from, and what other mantras were out there.

Mantras come from mantra yoga. Its a whole branch of the yogic tree focused on sounds and vibrations.

I'm not sure where ayam came from, but mantras have a verifiable effect on the nadis and on prana.

Inner silence may be cultivated through mantra meditation, but can be cultivated in many different ways. Inner silence is simply the condition of the Self. It is not in any way a product of the AYpractices, it is the nature of consciousness.

Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  05:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yogamonster,

Happy to hear one of the books is what you were looking for.

I understand your curiosity.
The "IAM" mantra has its own vibration.
But you could also work with other mantras/objects of different vibrations to bring the mind to stillness. As tonightsthenight mentioned.

Yogani explains it as follows in lesson 204 (http://www.aypsite.org/204.html):
quote:
"The ability of the mind to effortlessly refine the thought of a sound, naturally bringing the mind to stillness over and over again. Certain sounds resonate with certain aspects of our nervous system. These sounds can be used selectively to stimulate the nervous system toward an orderly transformation."

Note that, in the above description, "a sound" is used rather than specifically mentioning "the IAM sound".
In other lessons, yogani describes how certain sounds have more propensity to have certain effects than others. IAM vibrates between root and ajna in a balanced way. Hence the choices in the AYP lessons (for IAM and other mantras later on).

Certain mantras are known to work effectively on some level and can be used for that also (eg. certain mantras like the Mahamriyunjaya mantra foster health/recovery amongst others).

There are some posts on the AYP Support forums on the origin of the IAM mantra. From what I remember reading in the past, it seems to be a sound that prevails in many cultures and traditions.

If you read the book, it will be nice to hear about your experience!

Warm wishes,
Omsat

quote:

Hi Omsat,

Edited by - Omsat on Dec 05 2013 06:12:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  09:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Omsat

Hi yogamonster,

Happy to hear one of the books is what you were looking for.

I understand your curiosity.
The "IAM" mantra has its own vibration.
But you could also work with other mantras/objects of different vibrations to bring the mind to stillness. As tonightsthenight mentioned.

Yogani explains it as follows in lesson 204 (http://www.aypsite.org/204.html):
quote:
"The ability of the mind to effortlessly refine the thought of a sound, naturally bringing the mind to stillness over and over again. Certain sounds resonate with certain aspects of our nervous system. These sounds can be used selectively to stimulate the nervous system toward an orderly transformation."

Note that, in the above description, "a sound" is used rather than specifically mentioning "the IAM sound".
In other lessons, yogani describes how certain sounds have more propensity to have certain effects than others. IAM vibrates between root and ajna in a balanced way. Hence the choices in the AYP lessons (for IAM and other mantras later on).

Certain mantras are known to work effectively on some level and can be used for that also (eg. certain mantras like the Mahamriyunjaya mantra foster health/recovery amongst others).

There are some posts on the AYP Support forums on the origin of the IAM mantra. From what I remember reading in the past, it seems to be a sound that prevails in many cultures and traditions.

If you read the book, it will be nice to hear about your experience!

Warm wishes,
Omsat

quote:

Hi Omsat,

Yes, ayam resonates in the center of the head, between the eyes, and then deep in the center of power slash Dan tien slash center of gravity.

It doesn't take you up to the crown, nor does it go as far as muladhara.

This is just my experience, others may disagree.

With mantra enhancement, om on resonates along the entire spinal axis, shri is at muladhara
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  01:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
didn't Yogani write that Shree vibrates the crown?
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  5:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snake

didn't Yogani write that Shree vibrates the crown?

He may have. In my experience shri resonates at mulabandha, and moves upwards through the crown.

I'd love to hear yogsnis input on this.
Go to Top of Page

_shakti_

Canada
48 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2013 :  06:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Russill Paul has an online course called 'Yogic Mystery School' which is amazing, I would highly recommend it if you are interested in Nada yoga. And his book 'The Yoga of Sound' is incredible as well. He also does a chanting pilgrimage to India every year with a group of his students, I went in 2012 and learned sooo much. It was life-altering actually.

http://www.russillpaul.com/home.html
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  04:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What an interesting thread! Thank you. Is there anything about chanting in the Christian tradition?
Go to Top of Page

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2014 :  12:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your help! I'm going to take a look at the resources mentioned on this thread. I remember coming across Russill Paul's blog when I was looking to learn Sanskrit. Anyway I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Edited by - yogamonster on Feb 15 2014 07:09:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2014 :  10:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yogamonster,

Thanks for your interest and expresssing gratitude!

Enjoy your explorations

quote:

Thanks all for your help! I'm going to take a look at the resources mentioned on this thread. I remember coming across Russil Paul's blog when I was looking to learn Sanskrit. Anyway I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  5:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Christian tradition there is the gregorian chants
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2014 :  12:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
If you follow the link you can hear a sample of the Divine Sound and there are links to the scientific research that have been carried out on it's effects.http://www.divineomdasjisoundmeditation.com/
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  4:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogamonster,

in Swami Rama's tradition, it is recommended only one mantra instead of changing from one mantra to another.

This is a superb read on mantras:

http://ahymsin.org/main/swami-veda-...tiation.html
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  05:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know last post was 6 years ago but still relevant
https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...Terms=Tm#top

Edited by - snake on Mar 16 2021 06:26:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  04:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I particularly resonate with the Gayatri Mantra. Seems to help balance the nervous system, at least for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000