Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Where is I AM from ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mathieu

France
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  11:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear All,

I have been practising "I AM" meditation for about 4 months, but there is sometimes an intellectual barrier rising from the little information about the origins of this mantra. I really would like to know :
- where is "I am" from ?
- who created it ? How ?
- Why do we use it instead of other mantras ?

I mean, knwo a bit more about its roots, It can't have fallen from the sky, hasn't it ? There is too little information about the sources of it, and that bothers me and troubles my meditation.

To be franck sometimes I am telling myself : why not just rely on the breath instead of a mantra I don't knwo where it is from. You know, like following a stranger...

Thank you !
Mathieu

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  1:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Mathieu,

as you make your way through the lessons, you'll come across those very questions, in addition to other topics posted here along the same lines, by example my favorite of those being "Letting go of the mantra." Short answers to those would be, I Am or AYAM, and all the enhancements, are from AYP. Nobody created the mantras other than through a likely combination of trial and error and divine inspiration, since all attributes are part of the nervous system from its dense physical form through to its subtle aspects, representing the immanent aspect of the transcendent as tools and means towards its realization and fulfillment. Q&A – Mantra Design 101 is one such lesson that explains why these are suggested, backed by a baseline system of practices likened to a highway that's being traversed and charted by all those taking part no matter where they are along the way or how they decide to put the elements together.

Intellectualize away, by all means, read contemplate inquire talk to others and learn however you can. Just be sure to do so in parallel or at least not at the expense of application. I too have inquired, and pondered, and still do, but eventually it may occur to you as it has to me that the concepts/symbols and relationships between those make up the interface of the conscious mind, until the mind itself comes to the conclusion that it requires higher-level concepts/symbols, and deeper connections (the subconscious, archetypes, energy-prana-chi, experience) without which it risks stagnating in creative stupour. So use the intellect, not as an end in itself (doubt, distraction, disconnection), but as a gateway to deeper layers calling forth curiosity, motivation, productivity, and all other resources and tools comprising a launch platform into unknown possibilities.

I know what I wrote here goes above your simple and straight-forward questions and may or may not apply to you, but they might to someone else reading and asking the same question, "where is I Am from?" The questions are always worthwhile, even if they are the same on the surface and have been asked before many times. No need to speculate why, since to me they are part of the method of self-inquiry, of applying and focusing awareness on principles boundaries limitations and negative and positive attributes to gain greater insight into both the target of and subject doing inquiry.
Go to Top of Page

Arman

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
EDIT: Was a bit late to typing. Thank you to Aum for his answer. :)

Hi Mathieu,

I think like most, if not all yoga practices, it stems from the nervous system and direct experience. :) The reason we use I Am instead of others is a matter of efficiency. Someone more experienced than I can tell you exactly what it is doing (Since I'm not the most learned AYP student :p ) but I believe it creates inner silence while simultaneously awakening kundalini/ecstatic activity. I don't think the word itself has any particular meaning, rather the importance comes from the vibratory quality emitted from its particular unique sound. Without an awakened nervous system and inner silence, it is difficult for us to feel exactly what it is the mantra is doing (except for over time), but some people (whos energetic bodies are awake) can tell you the exact effect of any particular mantra on the nervous system by trying it. At least I think that's how it works. I'm not sure where I AM is from or where it started. I know it's been used for at least as long as Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation has been around, but I suspect it is much older than that...

Different mantras effect us in different ways. I think many can attest that 'ayam' is potent and effective. At this point I recommend you simply look at it as a tool to keep returning to. At times it can be good to take some things on faith, but later come to intuitively and experientially know and internalize exactly what is is that is going on. Over time I think you will naturally find your other answers.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - Arman on Oct 15 2013 2:14:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  2:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Arman for your reply. Enjoyed reading it. It happens all the time here of replying only to find on post a discussion under way. It is all worthwhile, collaboration from shared or diverging views are all informative since they are genuine to the poster.

That and the freedom from zero-sum limitations.
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2013 :  9:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Folks,

Isn't I Am the core principle of "I Am that I Am"? This originated from the English-language translations of the story in the Holy Bible, culled from the Hebrew Torah, directly. This invocation was born when Moses implored YHWH to speak his true name, so that he could tell the people who had sent him. YHWH spoke saying, "Ehyeh Aser Ehyeh".

Which is technically, more like, "I Am what I Am". But the I Am is what's key, as the realization of the Divine is born within oneself. God Realization -AKA- Self Realization. One could just as easily chant, "I Exist"... but the sonic vibration seems less effective for deep meditation.

I Am's similarity to AUM/OM, is quite remarkable and is perfect for Mantra Japa (bridging the subtle gap from Mantra to Nada Yoga). Sri Ramana Maharshi was quite fond of this invocation. He felt it was the best description of Brahman in human words. "I Am that I Am".

Blessing on this full moon evening, dear people.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  09:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Govinda,
you will find topics such as legitimacy of the sanskrit mantra "I AM" that explore other connections to bija mantras, and your reference does coincide with how it was put forth in the Secrets of Wilder novel. If I remember correctly, it is also used in another system but imparted individually and in private. Another topic also explored the similarity and merging of the mantra to AUM/OM. In all cases, the mantra is not connected to any of these sources, and exists as a mental sound whose resonance matches that of the subtle body, as the lessons state.

It's origin in nature, of which the pranamaya- and higher koshas are a part, and which can be demonstrated individually with sufficient sensitivity, are about the only explanations I would accept as adequate and sufficient. A more elaborate explanation of the connection between sound, energy, and light can be found in the Vijnanabhairavatantra, and that too is put forth as a principle that can be verified first-hand.
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  10:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, AumNaturel. Perhaps I was locked into the conceptual manner in which many New Age spiritual groups think of this mantra? They consciously maintain the English language meaning (not surprisingly, since linguistics are culturally defined ) .

I have not found any Indian texts using this mantra... but Sohum and Hamsa both hold parrallels in translation to I AM. But I AM would sound like EE UM, so why not change the spelling for westerners, so as to not cause confusion about the specific sonic intonations produced? It's all about sound vibrations.

Either way, I suspect many if not most English speaking peoples, chant "I AM", not "EEUM". Just sayin'.

EEUM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti

Edited by - Govinda on Nov 19 2013 11:21:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  03:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  04:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Govinda,

You can find the pronunciation of the mantra here: http://www.aypsite.com/audio/downlo...tra-base.mp3. I think it will clarify things a bit.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Govinda
But I AM would sound like EE UM, so why not change the spelling for westerners, so as to not cause confusion about the specific sonic intonations produced?

Interesting proposition and parallel, although on the other hand it is also introduced as "AYAM" which is no more or less 'exotic' than "EE UM," and then there's also the numerous enhancements to account for.

Quite possibly, the only way to find out is to apply whatever method and mantra to reach the level of sensitivity necessary to determine the differences or similarities in effect between related sound pronunciations, starting with "AIM," and as you now introduced, "EE UM" that I have not read about, though by the seed "ee" and "om/aum" (although the latter is already said to be very different) do correspond with tantric mantras. According to David Frawley, "most Shakti mantras contain the vowel-I, the vibratory ee-sound, which is the main primal sound of Shakti."
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  08:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mykal, I've listened to it for the first time now since it seemed suitable, and it isn't a surprise to see my understanding from the written explanations differing a tiny bit based on how I normally emphasize letters non-verbally, one of which is a strong emphasis on "EE," though this varies on its own during practice.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  10:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Although you can find all kinds of meaning and history to AYAM, there is another side to it, just like most things in this world.

That side has no meaning, because the purpose of it is to carry your mind to a place beyond meaning and logic.

Of course, that doesn't sound at all logical, and that just shows you what your mind naturally does; it tries to convince you that everything is logical, how could it be any other way, let me prove it to you.... in other words, it doesn't want to let go, so it claims you can't do without it.

Then you just continue practices anyway, and things start to get more peaceful.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  5:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had initially assumed, as Govinda said, that "I AM" came from the English translation of the Hebrew "I Am That I Am," or "Be still and know I Am God," or as referenced by Jesus, "before Abraham was, I Am." This was implied in the Wilder novel and it made sense to me. However, I recall a conversation about a year ago on these forums where a person had questioned the source of the mantra and was convinced (to her dismay, as a Christian) that it was derived from "AIM" or the Shakti (or possibly Saraswati) Hindu mantra. As I recall, Yogani at that time stated that NONE of the above was the case, and in fact, it was just an efficacious sound.
Go to Top of Page

SwamiX

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  1:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interestingly, I am reading a book on Kasmir Saivism called Kundalini Energy of the Depths.

http://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Com...p/0887068014

It lists I AM as a universal mantra; however they spell it aham
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  7:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SwamiX

Interestingly, I am reading a book on Kasmir Saivism called Kundalini Energy of the Depths.

http://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Com...p/0887068014

It lists I AM as a universal mantra; however they spell it aham

Aham is literally 'I am' in sanksrit.

Different pronunciation, same meaning.
Go to Top of Page

jomano7

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
There are four Mahavakyas, or great statements in the Upanishads, which have a profound significance as pointers to Reality. They are: (1) Prajnanam Brahma – Consciousness is Brahman; (2) Aham Brahmasmi – I am Brahman: (3) Tat Tvam Asi – That Thou Art; (4) Ayam Atma Brahma – This Self is Brahman.
this is the origin of AYAM.
‘THIS SELF IS BRAHMAN’

The Mahavakya, ‘Ayam Atma Brahma’ or ‘This Self is Brahman’, occurs in the Mandukya Upanishad. ‘ Ayam’ means ‘this’, and here ‘thisness’ refers to the self-luminous and non-mediate nature of the Self, which is internal to everything, from the Ahamkara or ego down to the physical body. This Self is Brahman, which is the substance out of which all things are really made.
Go to Top of Page

jomano7

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  7:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the oldest mantras in existence. It comes from an ancient Indian teaching known in Sanskrit as the Maha Vakyas.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  09:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jomano7
And welcome to the AYP forum!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000