Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 progress with siddhasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
AYP is a fabulous source of yoga information, most of which I had encountered during the course of my practice since age 13. But, when I discovered AYP in 2011, one of the practices I was quite surprised never to have been taught correctly was yoni siddhasana. I was like, "OMG, I can't believe nobody told me this in 35 years of yoga training!" In my youth I had seen siddhasana in "The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga" where it was vaguely described as, "good for celibates" but "good" in what way, was unclear, and also the photo was of a man and I was unsure exactly how it might work for women.

Well when I re-discovered siddhasana at AYP, naturally I had to try it. You might wonder why, since I already had ecstatic conductivity pouring through my body constantly, but I regard asana as "whole body prayer" and am always open to new things to offer up. My initial attempts were disappointing due to not finding a suitable surface. The floor was too hard, the waterbed too unstable, and the comfy chair had arms interfering with the knee position. If I sat on a cushion on the floor, I had difficulty with balance and I could not seem to get the toes of the upper foot properly positioned behind my calf.

Well, lately I've been doing asana outside in the horse pasture as the weather has been good. I have a nice soft spot of white beach sand where I put my yoga mat. The other day I happened across siddhasana kind of by accident in the process of doing maha mudra. The soft sand allowed the correct position of the foot and I was like, "hmmm, I bet I could bend my other knee and..." I figured out that I could lean back a little, insert my toes between the calf and thigh, and then by lifting up slightly and rocking forward, position myself comfortably on the other heel! Well that was a very pleasant surprise. I still mostly sit in lotus or half-lotus for meditation, but it's nice to know I have the option for siddhasana now.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  2:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Radharani

You're right, it's surprisingly hard to come by a good description of this posture. Back in 2013, when I was searching for it, this website was the only place on the net where I could find it. I had found a detailed description of Siddhasana in a book by Swami Rama, and he was giving sufficient details of the male anatomy to make it crystal clear for guys. But no reference whatsoever to the female anatomy. So I googled 'siddhasana women' and there was AYP!

I think it is one of those poses that are rather harder to do than it looks. I can sit in it very comfortably if I put a hefty book under my bum (for once in my life I got to putting a dictionary to really good use
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can also find a comfortable siddhasana posture if I sit on a yoga block or a bolster. Unfortanetely, my knees are in bad shape, so siddhasana (as well as other asana where you put some amount of pressure on the knee joint) is not healthy for me - I can do my practices for 3-4 days in siddhasana, but after that my knees hurt for days. So most of the time I do my sitting practices on a chair, with a flat meditation bolster on it.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  12:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I have been using the siddhasana posture for years now and find for it to be really effective for women, you have to remove your slip and be completely naked to allow the heel to be snug in the entrance. But yes, it's effect can best be felt when sitting leg stretched for mahamudra.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2016 :  8:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Well, I have been using the siddhasana posture for years now and find for it to be really effective for women, you have to remove your slip and be completely naked to allow the heel to be snug in the entrance.
Sey

Thanks,Sey for this post. Siddhasana comes easy so I was looking to add to it. This changed my practice. It's great to hear from female practitioners as our biology is different.

Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2016 :  9:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love this pose. I was surprised when I naturally slid into it. I have found it to be a wonderful addition in my meditations. I also find myself relaxing into this pose while reading in the evenings. It draws a gentle flow of energy for me. A very pleasant and calming continuous flow.

It leads to a little more "delicious energy" in Samyama than I can handle sometimes though. But I am very sensitive to Samyama.

Edited by - Samadhi on Jun 29 2016 10:01:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2016 :  10:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, Samadhi. I sit cross legged when I work at my desk all day, have been doing this for years. I have been practicing advanced Siddhasana,just not the way Sey suggested- without the slip. Have you been practicing that way? All these years, never thought of it until I saw Sey's post.
The energy was beyond delicious.

quote:
But I am very sensitive to Samyama.

The sensitivity comes and goes, as long as we self pace. I was able to only do breath meditation last year.

Edited by - sunyata on Jun 29 2016 10:18:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunyata
I have observed an amazing transformation over the last year. I began daily practices in August of last year. At that time, I struggled a little with sitting cross-legged, due to a tight hip issue I had. After a few months of daily deep meditation and Samyama practice, I realized that I was naturally and strongly drawn to sitting in a loose form of Sidhasana while reading in the evenings. So, I of course added it to my meditation practice. I usually have my left heal resting on my perineum and the other foot under my shin. I have not yet been able to place my foot on top of my calf. And, Yes, I do meditate in the nude whenever I have the chance. So, Sey’s pose suggestions naturally occur. I love adding this pose!

It is always wonderful to here when you share “sensitivity comes and goes”. It really helps with my self pacing and patience.

Edited by - Samadhi on Jun 30 2016 09:28:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The energy was beyond delicious.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  10:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, Samadhi! I'm late to the party. I remember reading the advanced siddhasana lesson (one heel lightly in the entrance of yoni and the other heel against the clitoris) thinking you can't really get the full effect without being nude. It finally clicked with this post. Guess better late than never.

quote:
It is always wonderful to here when you share “sensitivity comes and goes”. It really helps with my self pacing and patience.

Haha... I have my struggles with self pacing and raging bhakti posts plastered all over AYP. Thank god for AYP friends. They always helped me.

Edited by - sunyata on Jun 30 2016 10:31:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  10:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata
I have my struggles with self pacing and raging bhakti posts plastered all over AYP. Thank god for AYP friends. They always helped me.

"raging bhakti"
Self pacing my raging bhakti is very challenging!!!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  11:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Samadhi

quote:
I have my struggles with self pacing and raging bhakti posts plastered all over AYP. Thank god for AYP friends. They always helped me.

"raging bhakti"

Yes, that fire keeps getting stronger. As yogani says- it's the call for divine romance in you.

Edited by - sunyata on Jun 30 2016 11:21:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  11:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you for leading me to Lesson T28 - Advanced Siddhasana for Women and Men, Sunyata. As I said, I naturally was drawn to the pose, so I didn't see this lesson. Very interesting. I will have to explore further into my pose.

Edited by - Samadhi on Jun 30 2016 11:46:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  11:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here. I intuitively felt that there is more to than just the heel in the perineum. After digging deeper in the AYP lessons found advanced Siddhasana.

Warning- this will fuel the bhakti more.Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  12:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  2:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Samadhi

quote:

"raging bhakti"

Speaking of such, is there an advanced Siddhasana for males?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4370 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kensbikes,

Yes, it is described in the same lesson: Lesson T28, starting with the line:

"For men, the advanced siddhasana is similar. "

There is more clarification given in lesson addition T28.1:

Addition T28.1 - Follow-up Q&A on Advanced Siddhasana

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000