Can no longer meditate or do any practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  10:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Thank you Anthem. Your detailed reply is much appreciated.

I was in fact wondering what has been happening to your inner silence - if it's still going - or growing? - since you stopped meditation. Also is it possible to get to a point where you don't need to spend time with yourself to smooth out any ruffled feathers (as life certainly does ruffle mine and meditation is a great help in that way). Maybe you can do that on the hoof?

Yes, stillness continues to come into more and more areas of my living. As for smoothing out the "ruffled feathers". If meditation helps you smooth things out and it is working for you then that is all that matters. I am with my self in every moment, there is really no escaping it, so I just "listen" internally to what I am being shown in that moment.These days it is mostly important to feel all that arises on the emotional/energy spectrum and to stay present with it. That may be unique to my path and may not apply to others.

quote:

No, I don't really have doubts about AYP - as much as it is possible to be without doubts about anything. Many years ago I took a somewhat similar step - stopped regular yoga practice and said 'life will be my teacher'. here the similarity with your story stops however - for me it was not because I did not longer need the practice, but because I discovered serious flaws in that particular method and lost trust in that teacher. I badly missed yoga after that. My inner silence lasted some good years afterwards but then started to dwindle. When I finally found Yogani I was pretty desperate.

First, just to be specific, I have never said I don't need the practices, I simply can no longer do the practices as directed. I have no idea what I need, that is Life's domain.

In regards to finding serious flaws in another method, I can appreciate a natural desire on your part to be sure about what you are jumping into.

quote:

In short, I was simply curious if it is possible to bring the inner silence to a point where you won't lose it again even if you stop meditating.

Inner silence is our natural state. Distractions can fool us into thinking we have lost it, but it is always there. Meditation from my point of view is coming to stillness and in my experience, after many years of formal set sitting practices, it spread into all areas of life of its own accord, so yes knowing that stillness is always there even without extra formal sitting meditation practices.

This need to stop formal meditation practice was my experience and wasn't by choice but by necessity, I have no idea what the right way is for anyone else.

I wish you all the best, your sincerity will lead you in the right direction. And if that fails, pain will make sure you eventually get back on track.

Edited by - Anthem on Jul 05 2014 10:32:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  5:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Anthem,

Do you engage in grounding practices, and if so, what do you do to ground yourself?

Hi Christi,

I don't buy much into reasons, which from my point of view are made up after the fact to explain the unexplainable but aside from that, sort of would be the best answer. I don't practice anything in a daily ritualistic way (other than paying attention and noticing arisings) and feel no need to do grounding practices in particular because for the most part, I always feel very grounded unless I engage in sitting practices.

Is there activity in my life that would fall under the accepted definition of grounding? Yes, many hours of exercise each week, being very engaged in the body, walking in nature when needed etc.

Hi Anthem,

If you cannot engage in formal sitting practices because of symptoms arising, this would suggest that you are undergoing a high degree of purification. I would say that self-pacing to zero is the right thing to be doing, and as you say, you don't have any choice anyway.

When purification is happening at this level, simply being present with the witness (inner silence) can increase the flow of prana to the point where purification continues to happen even without sitting practices. In other words simply being present in stillness can keep you on the cutting edge of purification for quite a long time. In my experience it is a stage on the path and does not last forever. Gradually the nadis become purified and can take a much higher charge of prana and you will be able to engage in sitting practices again if you want to.

The reason I asked about grounding practices is because when purification is happening at that level it is important to stay grounded. In my experience some forms of exercise are grounding whereas other forms can actually increase the flow of prana in the body and accentuate kundalini. Activities such as running and cycling and other fast sports will tend to fall into the category of stimulating kundalini whereas things such as walking or digging in the garden tend to be more grounding and less stimulating.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  07:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem and Carson

Thank you both for your answers and for putting my mind at rest. It is really great news that your inner silence is continuing to expand. “Well endowed with inner silence” is what we want, isn't it? It may seem, at first sight, to a yoga practitioner that your experiences point to a worrying prospect i.e. spiritual practice hitting a wall, but is is not that, it's just a different spiritual practice. I'm really happy to know it.
I wish you great progress on your spiritual paths and thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions.

By the way, Anthem, is your user name anything to do with “Ring the bells that still can ring/Forget the perfect offering...” Is it that “Anthem” that inspired your choice of name?
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2014 :  2:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. You never know, time will tell. I let go of meditation only with great resistance, but have come to be very content with this current path Life has devised.

Hi BlueRaincoat,

It wasn't, but I like the words. It's hard to remember now, but it had something to do with recognizing that each of our stories is like an anthem of Life.

A
Go to Top of Page

sn19

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 22 2016 :  9:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Anthem and others who experience overloads easily.
I have a question for you: was malaise due to overloading more common in the morning (say between 8 am and noon time or 2pm)?

In my case mornings are problematic, there is dizziness, nausea, anxiety, light-headedness on occasion, reduced motor control (body feels light and weak, also steps are unstable), blood pressure is probably not right, all the while these symptoms are mixed with deep absorption in ajna.
As the pitta timeframe transitions to vata (2-3pm) malaise goes away and I feel much, much better... then around 6-7pm ajna gets out of control again, causing mild nausea, reduced motor control and unblinking gaze but the symptoms are much more manageable compared to the morning. The most symptom free time is nights after 8pm.
Does this sound familiar or it's just me?
Why are mornings so problematic, any insights?

Edited by - sn19 on May 22 2016 9:55:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  06:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sn19

Sounds like massive overload. Have you reduced practices since you've been experiencing this? You need to do a lot of grounding, maybe take a break from sitting practices for a few weeks.

Best wishes

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on May 23 2016 07:47:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

sn19

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  07:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the reply.
No, I foolishly increased practice intensity because of the morning malaise which made it worse, only now am beginning to reduce/stop practices.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  07:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would take a good break from mantra meditation and any energy work if I were in your position. Spend time outdoors, get fit, ground, socialize.

When I get overloaded (and I don't get anything quite as serious as you've described above), the only thing I still do is passive awareness meditation. Getting the overload symptoms witnessed seems to help me.

What do you normally do to ground yourself?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000