New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  09:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,
It was my daughter. She is better now.. back to school.. Thank you for asking. My back pain is on my right shoulder blade..

Thanks Jim.

Edited by - Shanti on May 04 2006 12:38:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  12:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Weaver. I did not see your post for some reason. Seem to be doing a lot of that today.

Edited by - Shanti on May 04 2006 12:39:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  1:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti, if you want to discuss the back pain stuff, why not start a new discussion in the asana section? Include lots of detail. Maybe some of the hatha people here can suggest solutions.
Go to Top of Page

will.iam

23 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit will.iam's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies all. The concern and inspiration were a definite aid. For now it seems like the big movements have passed and there are some smaller muscle contractions and releases. My spine is looser and more flexible than ever before! I'm back to focusing on the meditation during the meditation time and the spinal breathing has smoothed out considerably. I'll be ready to start inching up from 5 minutes SB to 10 shortly.

This has reminded me of something a wise man once told me, which is now part of my signature.

Cheers,
Bill

This will also pass.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  11:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm liking the loose/flexible spine. all the drama (good bad and otherwise) is about blocks. Getting unblocked feels slippery and easy. Be aware that that's what we're shooting for.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  03:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since past few days I have been experiencing lot of involuntary movements during Samyama and sometimes during meditation as well. I try my best to ignore them but the movement I would like to fix is this - the head shakes from side to side at such a great speed that it strains my neck. Is it ok to forcefully stop the movement when it happens?
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  06:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus, I made a very similar post to this here
As I said in the post this is the problem that brought me to AYP in the first place. I was advised that spinal breathing and neck pump would help and they did, it cleared up almost completely.
I still get movement but not really violent and it can be controlled. have a look at this FAQ What is automatic yoga? There are a lot of helpful links there.

Hope this will help

Edited by - Richard on Apr 15 2007 06:56:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  09:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have mentioned my routine. I do occasional 10 minute asana, followed by pranayama, dynamic jalandhara, meditation, yoni mudra kumbaka then samyama. I already have all things in place as you see.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm well it nothing really to worry about unless its so distracting it ruins your med which i know from experience it can be...in that case if you just put your attention on for a second it will usually stop, thats what I do, then you can just go back gently into your med.

I do get quite a lot of rapid head movement and so do others as you can see from the discussions in the links I gave you, have you looked at all those?
Apart from the advice given there I can think of nothing else to tell you.
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  09:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

I had these "automatic movements" for several years now. As a matter of fact, nearly every time I meditate now they happen. Sometimes these have been quite violent, as I've already broken one wooden chair because of it, and will probably break another sometime soon. At other times, they have been quite smooth and fluid, as I'll move as if I am a snake or some other very flexible creature.

I've noticed that they usually manifest when I'm in a relatively deep state of Samadhi/Jhana (meditative absorption).

I've heard them referred to by at least two different names: Kriya (action) and Charism (spiritual gift).

I'm, personally, not disturbed by them and actually look forward to them accompanying each meditation session now. I've noticed that if I am mindful (Sati) of them that this usually just deepens my state of absorption (Samadhi/Jhana).

Peace,
Nirodha
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  10:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirodha
I don't get the violent ones anymore spinal breathing and neck pump took care of that.

quote:
I've noticed that they usually manifest when I'm in a relatively deep state of Samadhi/Jhana (meditative absorption).

Yes I sometimes get whole body shudders during Samyama practice and they seem to deepen the meditation
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  12:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You feel awfully disoriented when you are laying backwards in a chair that has falling to the side after your head swings so hard you lose balance and fall.

Happens once or twice, and I recommend meditating in different places, on different surfaces. Intuition can be a big help here if you have an open mind.

Of course, a solid foundation of daily practice should be maintained, and will anyway, as it is often pre-requisite for these dramatic outflowings of energy.

Go to Top of Page

djey308

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  3:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this site is a lifesaver. during repeating 'I AM' the other week i began to wiggle at the hips, which gently rocked my whole body side to side. it seemed to be most violent when i focused on the finer and finer reverberations of the mantra. today it was pervasive throughout almost the whole of my meditation, with muscle contractions along my spine in waves. but, it sounds like it's nothing to worry about and to keep going. i think i will finally try spinal breathing. anyone disagree?
Go to Top of Page

bigpaper

Andorra
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  05:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never been meditating but have always wanted to try. The problem is that I do not know how to do it. Is there anyone who could teach me please? I will not leave a favor unanswered.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome bigpaper start lessons here: http://www.aypsite.org/10.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000