Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 diet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  02:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

My tastebuds alternate from salty to sweet. My meals salty, followed by dessert sweet, something sweet like yogurt, fruit, or worse, my addiction to chocolate. I would like to break out of this pattern of always salt to sweet. Especially chocolate. The Germans are famous for their chocolate and love of chocolate, so it´s going to be difficult to be rid of this one!

Does anyone know how to break out of this yo-yo type of eating?

Thanks,
nirmal

sambo

Australia
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  06:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit sambo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mmmmmmm chocolate you are not the only one brother. I love sweets especially chocolate, and I to feel the urge to cut back from time to time to clean the system a bit. I am no professional on diet and body types as maybe there is a reason you crave certain foods. For me its all about havin the motivation to change,so I usually will do a short juice fast 3-5 days and then start my new resolution from then on. After havin done the fast I find I crave unhealthy foods alot less and my motivation to stay away from bad food is stronger as I just went to all the effort of fasting.
P.s I ate a whole block today (-: was thinking of fasting next week

Your brother
Sam
Go to Top of Page

swaha

Lebanon
88 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  06:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
reduce progressively the amount of salt in your meals (if possible).
also in case you are consumming dairy products quite often, try to stop for a few days - i personally dropped them completely 8 years ago - see if it helps reducing the craving for sweets/chocolate.
sweet taste is the main taste. it needs to be present in each meal (like all other tastes).
try to include more sweet veggies in your meals: well-cooked onions, sweet pumkin, carrot, beetroot, cabbage, etc.
i am also a chocolate lover! i indulge in it once in a while.. but though tastebuds feel 'ecstatic' (!), i get heart palpitations afterwards and feel a bit nervous...
so, try to find a balance between 'tastebuds pleasure' and 'true body needs'.

hope this helps

good luck!

Edited by - swaha on Feb 14 2011 06:52:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  08:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi!

By the way, I´m a sis! I know, I know. After reading your post, I had a brownie! Oh, the shame! No, seriously, I haven´t cut meat from my diet or dairy, however I am leaning involuntarily these days to eating lighter foods and abstaining from eating the whole plate of spaghetti my family eats. I am pitta by constitution and try to eat and drink cooling foods, again however, I am not ready to give up my coffee! I just don´t drink it piping hot. So I don´t use added salt much on my foods, but the salt I speak of comes mainly from meats(egad). I really am getting close to becoming a vegetarian! Here´s a quote by Paul McCartney: "If slaughter houses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian." Just visualize That!!! I think I Am a vegetarian!!!

Maybe adding a sweet vegetable with meals will help with the sweet unhealthy cravings.

Thanks you two!
nirmal
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  09:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to reply to this topic because after I read it, I too ate chocolate! I am not even really a chocolate lover, as I prefer salt...as in potato chips.
This morning I had gone to the store and bought my mother and sister and son some valentines candy. Already passed it out to my mom and son and stashed my sisters on the steps going to her room.......but THEN after reading above notes...I really wanted the chocolate whitmans sampler box I was to give to my sister.............so I ate it!

and the quote from Mccartney could be read into on different meanings/levels....to me.

If I can share that I have always desired a better diet. Now, as I watch my dad just recently being diagnosed with his 4th cancer(pancrease) diabetes and diverticulitis...I am everyday...making better options....simple step like drinking water more, not going for a soda...and I feel the "something" maybe like irritation or aggrevation or the craving to still want the unhealthy choice, but I am so sick of not feeling good myself and am now terribly scared of the genetic predisposition to major illness....

is this off topic yet?

anyway...I am not blaming nirmal, but I think it is funny that there is the domino effect with the brownie and chocolate!!!

I am off for some water and lemon!

peace on
s

Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  12:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello sagebrush,

Well, it Is Valentine´s Day, so we´re all entitled to eat chocolate!
What different levels/meanings of McCartney´s quote are you speaking of?
Where do you think the irritation and aggrevation is coming from? From your Having to change your diet because of your predisposition to illness? If that´s the case, it is perfectly understandable. Maybe you should make the changes very slowly, which sounds like what you are doing.And also, you can have yearly testing for these diseases to keep your mind at ease.

Please don´t mind about being off topic. I am as well! We, I think, are discussing in general, diet and ways to improve it.

Love,
nirmal
Go to Top of Page

dr.movvasrinivas

India
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  11:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nirmal

Hi everybody,

My tastebuds alternate from salty to sweet. My meals salty, followed by dessert sweet, something sweet like yogurt, fruit, or worse, my addiction to chocolate. I would like to break out of this pattern of always salt to sweet. Especially chocolate. The Germans are famous for their chocolate and love of chocolate, so it´s going to be difficult to be rid of this one!

Does anyone know how to break out of this yo-yo type of eating?

Thanks,
nirmal

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000