Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Carson's Amaroli Journal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  11:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste All

Up until about a week and a half or two weeks ago I basically completely refused to even acknowledge that Amaroli existed as a practice. I refused to read about it, talk about it, teach it (in my AYP classes) etc etc etc. But a little while ago I had an INTENSE need to read up on it, consider beginning the practice and essentially begin preparing myself.

A little over a week ago I woke up in the morning and the "choice" to practice Amaroli was completely gone. I didn't have a choice, I HAD to start the practice. That morning I caught a bit of midstream urine in a pint glass (just enough urine to cover the bottom of the glass), diluted it with about 10 times (perhaps a bit more) the amount of water as I had of urine, and drank it (very quickly ). Immediately I felt it.... and this in not an exaggeration at all... I IMMEDIATELY felt it in the body. At first it was a feeling of "lightness" in my heart....then that feeling moved down into the stomach area, then lower then lower, eventually (after about 30 minutes) the feeling of lightness took up residence at the base of the spine. That day I drank my usual amount of coffee, and I was (almost literally) bouncing off the walls with energy. Not really "overloaded" persay, but there was definitely a pronounced increase in energy.

The next morning I decided to drink before my morning meditation (the day before I had drank after meditation).... (((((***NOTE*** ever since 1 week after the PA retreat in October my practices have consisted of a maximum of 20 minutes of DM with a minimum of 20 minutes of rest afterwards... no asana, no pranayam, except when I am teaching AYP classes (3 times a week)...then I practice a fuller routine with the students***)))) This day I chose to drink a little bit more then I had on day 1. (I find it a bit difficult to measure Amaroli so this wasn't necessarily "on purpose") I drank about 3 millimeters (in the bottom of the pint glass) of urine diluted with again about 10x that amount of water. I didn't feel quite the same initial effects (the lightness working it's way down the chakras) but my meditation was very deep yet extremely conscious. I chose on this day to drink only half the amount of coffee I normally would....but soon after getting up from meditation I found myself with an extremely strong headache that lasted throughout the entire day. I decided that evening that I would stop practicing Amaroli for a while... at least until I felt ready to try again.

I spent the next few days working my b*lls off... I am in the process of developing the basement in my home and I spent the next couple of days jackhammering up a couple hundred square feet of concrete floor (and removing all the concrete from the basement) and then digging 2 feet down through rock and dirt, to uncover an old sewer pipe that needed to be replaced and opening up an area so that I could plumb in a new basement bathroom. (Pictures can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?a...l=be05252857 ) This was "grounding to the max" and after expending all that energy and connecting with the earth so strongly, I felt ready to try Amaroli again. Today is day 1 again. I started with about 4 millimeters in the bottom of a pint glass and diluted it (as usual) with about 10x that amount of water. Today I chose to drink only half the amount of coffee I usually do, and I have been able to pinpoint exactly how Amaroli makes me feel.... Amaroli makes me feel like I have been fasting for a couple of days. Not sure if this feeling will persist, or if others feel the same when they do it, but I plan to use this thread as my "Amaroli Journal".... this way others can hopefully learn from my mistakes.

Love!

AlanCrawfordUK

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  03:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck! Like you, I find he thought of Amaroli difficult to accept, though I am keen to hear about your progress!

Wishing you peace and happiness,

Alan
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok.....quick update for y'all

Amaroli is pure gold (pun fully intended ).

I am now drinking about 1cm of urine at the bottom of my pint glass every morning, and am finding some great benefits from it already.

I am still diluting it with water but I have tried a few different amounts of water to see what happens. Basically I get the same effects regardless of the amount of water I am using, but I prefer more water to less, as, well, I still find it tastes remarkably like piss and I'm not finding that I have "aquired the taste" for it yet (can't imagine I ever will either....who knows though). Less water=stronger taste, and I prefer less taste to more.

I'm still finding that I get the feeling like I have been fasting for a few days when I do amaroli, but I am finding that the sensations aren't lasting as long as they were at first. That's ok by me. I'm also finding that there has been a "smoothing out" of the energy since starting amaroli. I don't know that I can directly attribute this to the amaroli as there are some other possible factors (such as a slightly heavier diet due to Christmas....mmmmm turkey , and more physical exercise lately as well) but I have an intuitive feeling that it is playing a part. I have been able to add back into both of my practice sessions 5 minutes of SBP and into my afternoon practice 10 minutes of easy asanas (and twice a week a full 30 minute advanced asana practice) without experiencing any overload. In fact, I feel much more grounded then I probably every have in my whole life.

All in all, I plan to continue the practice and look forward to seeing where it all goes.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and all that jazz. May you abide in Unity always.

Love!

P.S> One quick question for anyone who has done or is doing amaroli on a regular basis....

Just wondering about bramacharya (AYP style) and amaroli. It is really obvious that there is a large amount of semen in my urine (especially after intimacy, but also just regularly) and I'm just wondering if I should not be doing amaroli when there is obviously semen in the urine. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  4:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson,

I'm back to using Amaroli again.

I drink it straight (I tried it with water, but to me, it just tasted like foul tasting water, so I preferred to go straight and wince, and be done with it. I suppose my face still winces, but I am completely accustomed to the flavor so that it is not a bit of a problem to use it.) I also use it every morning as a neti pot nasal rinse, in one nostril out the other (convenient because it is just the right temp and salt content).

I hesitate to write about using amaroli here on a public forum because I am aware of a gross-out factor. I still have not told my wife that such a practice even exists or give a clue as to what I used in my neti pot.

I figure semen in amaroli is neither a problem, nor a benefit, except for it being an occasion to be more aware of what is happening internally in relation to sexual practices (hold-back can result in semen going into the bladder).

So natural, and yet so very, very strange it seems -- this practice called amaroli.

Peace,

Be

Edited by - bewell on Dec 30 2010 4:48:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  6:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No amaroli for me yet - but for what it's worth, my dog loves to drink my pee. I have to kick her out of the bathroom when I'm taking a tinkle. She also loves garbage like it's the 6th food group, so take it with a grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  6:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

I still find it tastes remarkably like piss and I'm not finding that I have "aquired the taste" for it yet (can't imagine I ever will either....who knows though).

This cracked me up Carson!

I'm really ignorant about amaroli...is there any science out there to back up the benefits of this practice?

To even attempt this practice I need to know what to expect so I can at least invoke the power of the placebo effect...

Looking forward to further additions to your journal!

Bottoms UP!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  6:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

Bottoms UP!

Wrong opening, dude
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  11:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Everyone

Only have a couple of seconds so this will be brief, just wanted to post part of the Wiki article on "Urine Therapy" for Machart....

"Auto-urine drinking and meditation

Drinking one's morning urine ('amaroli') was an ancient yoga practise designed to promote meditation. The ancient Hindu and yoga texts that mention auto-urine drinking, require it be done before sunrise and that only the mid-stream sample be used.[34] The pineal hormone melatonin and its conjugated esters are present in morning urine in significant quantities, the pineal gland secreting melatonin maximally at about 2 am, this secretion being shut off by the eyes' exposure to bright sunlight.[34] Melatonin, when ingested or given intravenously, amongst other effects, provokes tranquility and heightened visualisation.[34] There are high concentrations of melatonin in the first morning urine, but not in a physiologically active form.[34] Mills and Faunce at Newcastle University Australia in 1991 developed the hypothesis that ingestion of morning urine into low pH gastric acid would cause deconjugation of its esters back to the active form of melatonin. This, they suggested, might restore plasma night-time melatonin levels. Thus, they argued, oral pre-dawn consumption of auto-exogenous melatonin, by either re-setting of the sleep-wake cycle or enhancement of the physiological prerequisites for meditation (decreased body awareness (i.e. analgesia) and claimed slowed brain wave activity, as well as heightened visualization ability), may be the mechanism behind the alleged benefits ascribed to 'amaroli' or auto-urine drinking by ancient texts of the yogic religion.[34] Obvious experimental difficulties (particularly in constructing a double-blind clinical trial) mean that this is a difficult hypothesis to reliably test to any requisite evidence-based standard."

Taken from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy

There's lots of links on google when you search for "Urine Therapy Benefits" too: http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&h...0d5796affa2a

Love!
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  08:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information Carson!

You answered a key question I had ... If I understand correctly from the above excerpt, the major benefit of amaroli (urine therapy) is to increase melatonin levels...

I'm pretty sure I will wimp out of the pee drinking deal and just experiment with some over the counter supplements to see if my tranquilty and visualization are improved.

I'm pretty frugal...but I think for this experiment I'm willing to invest in the higher priced option which the old yogi's back in the day did not have.

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  09:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...maximally at about 2 am

Interesting. I almost always do it pre-dawn. Around 3 is typical.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Carson

good luck !! =P Had to give up the practice a long time ago. It is interesting to note that one thing is very similiar to your experience. Amaroli is an extreme downer. I could do twice the amount of practices and still had no energy left to smile anymore =) Walked around like a dead piece of wood ^^

I'm not sure but think that after some more stable "higher-gear" kundalini flow, amaroli will synch more harmoniously into the scheme (here).

Happy new year @all :D
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  10:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste All

@bewell: You're wife doesn't know you do Amaroli? Interesting! And, I can't imagine doing jala neti with urine. I seem to have really concentrated urine, the smell is so strong, and getting a good whiff of it is enough to make me gag sometimes. Running it through my nostrils would put me right over the edge I'm sure. BUT, then again, I NEVER imagined myself doing amaroli at all, and here I am, doing it...so, I guess there is always a possibility.
Oh, and I drink it at about 5 or 6am (which is still totally pre-dawn here in the Arctic (aka Canada) .....what time do you go to bed if you are up at 3am? I get up at 5 to do morning practices, but even at that time I have to be in bed by midnight or I don't feel like I've had enough sleep. You must either go to bed really early or require very little sleep!

@Machart: The whole melatonin thing is not a "major" reason for doing amaroli IMO. IMO the major reason for doing amaroli has nothing to do with physical benefits. The spiritual benefits FAR outweigh the physical ones in my (very limited) experience. I haven't really touched on the spiritual benefits in this "journal" yet, as, well, I have a difficult time putting words to them, but I will try at some point (probably once I've been doing the practice for a while longer and have a better understanding of the long term benefits) to do so.

@Holy: Perhaps I misrepresented things a bit if you are hearing me say that Amaroli is a "downer".....that isn't my experience at all! In fact, I would say that physically, amaroli seems to act much more as a stimulant. I drink a lot less coffee (have to or I'm WAY overstimulated) now that I am doing amaroli, and I have a lot more physical energy then I did before. Energetically however, there has been a stabilization happening. Before starting the practice I was very easily energetically overloaded by a minimal amount of practices.....now, after starting amaroli, there seems to have been an "energetic balancing." It's not that there is LESS energy, just that it is more stable. But again, this may or may not have anything to do with amaroli....like I said, I've had a bit of a heavier diet the past week and I've gotten about quadruple the amount of physical exercise (all in the basement of my home too, so, there has been a real grounding from this exercise) that I would normally get lately.

Anyway, will keep everyone posted on how things progress. Hope this is helpful in some way.

Love!

P.S> Happy New Year everyone! May the new year find each of you blessed with abundance, surrounded with Love and basking in Presence.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  11:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart,

There is a book written by Martha Christy that covers Urine Therapy comprehensively-"Your own perfect medicine".
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

Hi Machart,

There is a book written by Martha Christy that covers Urine Therapy comprehensively-"Your own perfect medicine".

Thanks krcqimpro1!

I'll check it out.

@Carson...just a little bit of advice...always carry some gum with you...you don't want people whispering behind your back after talking to you that you have a "Potty Mouth".
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  12:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Machart: Amaroli is why God invented mouthwash
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  12:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I seem to have really concentrated urine, the smell is so strong, and getting a good whiff of it is enough to make me gag sometimes.

I remember the gag response early on. When my urine seems more concentrated than usual, I take it as an indication to drink more water. Drinking water before bed can stimulate a pre-dawn desire to urinate -- that is sometimes part of what gets me up at 3am.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  1:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bewell...

Yes, I know that I should be drinking more water then I do.... something I have known for a long time, long before ever starting amaroli. For whatever reason though, I have a serious aversion to water. Silly I know.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Namaste All

@Machart: The whole melatonin thing is not a "major" reason for doing amaroli IMO. IMO the major reason for doing amaroli has nothing to do with physical benefits. The spiritual benefits FAR outweigh the physical ones in my (very limited) experience. I haven't really touched on the spiritual benefits in this "journal" yet, as, well, I have a difficult time putting words to them, but I will try at some point (probably once I've been doing the practice for a while longer and have a better understanding of the long term benefits) to do so.

Hi CarsonZi!

After reading your posts I did try some melatonin supplements (3 mg...very cheap...) .

I don't feel any more pure or spiritual ... I'm still a meat eating cretin...but WOW...the dreams are crazy, wacky, wild and funny. I also seem to remember them better.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Edited by - machart on Jan 05 2011 11:06:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000