Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Bhakti - am I doing this right?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  8:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was reading the lessons on transforming emotions into bhakti. I don't have an ishta in the form of a God or a guru so what I do is when something makes me unhappy I just remind myself that this is happening because I'm not enlightened yet or this is happening because my inner silence hasn't grown enough and that sort of thing. Is this how it's done? (I don't have a good notion of merging with gurus - that's why I avoid using that logic).

Cheers

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  9:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Emil

There's no "right way" to do bhakti. It's very personal. Whatever gets you to the meditation seat twice a day is sufficient bhakti. Personally, I wouldn't use "I'm not enlightened yet" as a motivation, but that's just me. Whatever your motivation is is OK.

I didn't always have a clear ishta (am not normally the devotional type), but being committed to growth/transformation/practice/etc. has worked for me for several years.

It can be anything. It can even be a thought, like "Who will I be if I keep this up?". For some, the practice itself can be the ishta. Or spiritual progress. Or being a better person. I'm sure you get the idea

For many years, inner silence itself was my ishta. In the last few months, devotion for Mother Kali (Durga) has spontaneously arisen. But I never sought her out on my own. It just happened. And she has answered my prayers in a very deep way.

Not everyone will have such an experience, or have devotion to a deity.

Whatever inspires you is good enough.

Hope this helps, brother. My Love to you and your family.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  03:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cosmic,
My question was more in the context of this lesson:http://www.aypsite.org/67.html which explains how to transform emotional energy into divine energy by redirecting it towards your ishta. I just read that lesson again now and it appears that the goal (to achive englightenment or to cultivate inner silence) itself could be use as ishta which is consistant with what you said.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I misunderstood your question, Emil. Sounds like you found your answer, no?
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  03:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sort of
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  05:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Emil,

I would like to add - please note that it says "transforming emotions to bhakti. Making mental statements, from my experience, is not quite what is meant here. You have to take the feelings of unhappiness and turn it into a longing for your ishta or for the presence of inner silence. This will drive you to your twice daily practices.

This is one of the few things I believe I have gotten right.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  02:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
You have to take the feelings of unhappiness and turn it into a longing for your ishta or for the presence of inner silence.

Hi Seychelles,
Can you please explain how do you normally do it?

Cheers.

p.s. How do you pronounce Seychelles? Is it like "Sea shells"?
Go to Top of Page

Marina_J

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  06:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marina_J's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You want to transforming emotions into bhakti then you chanting of Om. The chanting of Om is a powerful tonic. So you are chanting Om in the morning after few weeks you feel good.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  03:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil
like Cosmic said ...personally, I wouldn't use "I'm not enlightened yet" ....it is a negative thing that will keep you feeling " i am not good enough yet" adding to the unhappiness feeling
dear you are already That Bliss....the work is only to remove the veils...the sun is always shining,it is the clouds that veil the sunlight...
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  3:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Marina_J

You want to transforming emotions into bhakti then you chanting of Om. The chanting of Om is a powerful tonic. So you are chanting Om in the morning after few weeks you feel good.

Indeed. Om is a powerful mantra.For me, it brings out the consciousness behind everything; as if everything you're watching is watching right back.

One thing, for enlightenment; try bringing it into the present:"I am already enlightened".Your inner guru follows you everywhere. Try bringing your attention towards your heart chakra. Feelings I've had in the heart could be described as: Love is form including; but goes beyond form. Emptiness is form, form is emptyness.

I'd say, for enlightenment; it's easier done than said (in a drop the mind kind of way). And it really is. When you give up and accept this moment and see it fully for what it is; you're there.
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  5:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Switching emotions into bhakti or devtion, is not letting oneself carried away through emotions of any kind, because these bind oneself on a lower level; rather it would be better to chanelize them and take advantage of them, to jump off and fly to higher levels, through meditation. Whether ishtas, gods or gurus, all of them are nothing but just levels of consciousness. Guru is a word of two syllabeles Gu: means darkness, and Ru means light; so that which leads us from darkness towards the light or enlightment is called Guru, and usually it is the meditation on a mantra, which gives us those results. As said before, our individual soul, ishtas or gods, are just levels of consciousness. Levels, which can be lower or higher, it all depends on our own willing actions, how and what we do, whether conscioussly or unconscioussly. It is an universal law, each action has a reaction.
Some may object by saying, being motionless in the inner silence, or in deep meditaion is contrary to what is written above,but then that would be only on a physical level, because of course there is motion in the subtle spiritual realms, as long there is consciousness, there is motion, just like the difference between the waves of an ocean or waves (frecuency) of the radio or television. Existence by itself is motion. But just as some waves are pleasant, some are painful. Like for example, the waves that provoke tsunamis or earthquakes or the waves that bring coolness like a breeze. So it is our will that can take us to the lower levels or higher levels of consciousness. And it is only bhakti, which can take us in a shorter and a simpler way to the Highest.
Go to Top of Page

marcplatters

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit marcplatters's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes absolutely you are on a right track and by following daily you would get lots of benefits.
Go to Top of Page

B1-66ER

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  3:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Emil, what makes you think the enlightened do not also experience unhappiness as well as other emotions. Emotions are born of attachment. One can not exist within the world without some measure of attachment therefore every enlightened being who has returned to the world did so attached to something and thus experiences emotions just as you do. The difference is that in the eyes of a mahatma every emotion is an aspect of the divine beloved deserving your compassion patience and understanding. The next time you feel something you consider unhappiness offer it in service to the one from which all energy emanates. Allow it to run its course uninhibited on the inside and ask yourself what the one from whom all happiness and unhappiness originates wants you to understand about yourself and the world around you via this experience.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000